Sign in to follow this  
kalonjacarl

Wyrmgear's Name

And now I'm thinking about sexual dimorphism in monsters. For large monsters, that mostly can't hide anyway, there's an argument that the caregiver (female?) should be as intimidating as possible to reduce threats to the young. With this sort of society, perhaps all male dragons are small and look similar while the females are large and pass their color characteristics on to their own female offspring.

OTOH, if the other parent stays around, the more genetically expendable parent (usually the male) should be the one easiest to notice. Here, color might follow the male line, while the females are all LBDs (little brown dragons).

And yes, She is a She. I do not believe we have ever released a male dragon, although I could be mistaken.

I have just been advised from an intrepid fact-checker that the above statement is not correct.

We have only formally declared 2 dragons to be female, Deathsleet and Ebonwrath.

Stormwing and Cinder's genders were not ever declared, nor was Wyrmgear or the upcoming Narthrax.  

I am unsure of Nathavarr's gender, although supporting evidence suggests male (Dragon's Don't Share).

All other dragons were declared in CasketWorks or on Box Art to be male.

I try not to get too sciency when it comes to discussing mythical creatures. I don't imagine they evolved, so evolutionary biology isn't necessarily taken into account. As far as I'm concerned, there are no appreciable physical differences in ability between male and female dragons, although secondary sexual characteristics might be noticable to someone knowledgable. Their voice quality might be different, as it usually is for other sentient races (or if they communicate telepathically, they might take on a gendered voice).

Anyway, the genders of my dragon minis exist in a quantum state until it becomes necessary for me to decide for my game :)

• Like 2

I try not to get too sciency when it comes to discussing mythical creatures. I don't imagine they evolved, so evolutionary biology isn't necessarily taken into account. As far as I'm concerned, there are no appreciable physical differences in ability between male and female dragons, although secondary sexual characteristics might be noticable to someone knowledgable. Their voice quality might be different, as it usually is for other sentient races (or if they communicate telepathically, they might take on a gendered voice).

Anyway, the genders of my dragon minis exist in a quantum state until it becomes necessary for me to decide for my game :)

Almost everything but my dragons I treat like that XD But that's because when I paint my dragons, I base their colors on various dragon characters I've drawn and designed, so they just sort of take that gender in my head

When magic is around, who needs evolution?  ^_^ Chimeras are a prime example heehee

• Like 3

Bryan you should've started that out with the CNN music and a big blinking red "BREAKING NEWS"

I'm not sure me being wrong counts as news...

So maybe FOXNews music instead?   

• Like 6

Bryan you should've started that out with the CNN music and a big blinking red "BREAKING NEWS"

This ^^

• Like 2

Mostly true for me, too. Until I start thinking about how I could add things to games that both make sense (in some way) and are curious or surprising for my PCs.

Which I did in this case.

Nope. CNN was the right call.

• Like 2

And yes, She is a She. I do not believe we have ever released a male dragon, although I could be mistaken.

I have just been advised from an intrepid fact-checker that the above statement is not correct.

You are welcome.

• Like 8

Interesting, when I was painting Cinder, someone from Reaper (can't remember who now...maybe Anne) told me that T'Raukzul was male and Cinder is his mate, hence the reason I always refer to her in the feminine.

• Like 4

Stormwing and Cinder's genders were not ever declared, nor was Wyrmgear or the upcoming Narthrax.

Hmm... so if Wyrmgear is truly a clockwork dragon (and not some kind of clockwork-cyborg-dragon with "fleshy bits"), would that make it a "her" in the same sense that a car or boat is feminine?  :lol:

• Like 3

Depends because clockwork soldiers aren't referred to as female nor are clocks, or trains, though if memory serves trains can be female too

Edited by kalonjacarl
  • Like 1