Sign in to follow this  
Baugi

Priming Bones

I know the brown liner prime is the favourite around here, but have folks had success with other MSPs with bones? Grey or blue liners? Other colours? HD paints? What have you tried and what has worked?

Gesso works well, but I don't recommend it for a mini you want a "display" quality paint job on. It works well for tabletop minis though. MSP Brush on primers work well enough too if you don't thin them. 

• Like 1

Gesso works well, but I don't recommend it for a mini you want a "display" quality paint job on. It works well for tabletop minis though. MSP Brush on primers work well enough too if you don't thin them. 

Couldn't you thin them with straight flow improver or something similar? I've been meaning to try this, so maybe I'll make a point of mentioning when I do.

The wife and I both use MSP brush on primer (white or black) with a drop of opposite white or black paint and a drop of water for a 1:1:1 ratio for gray priming and have zero complaints or adhesion problems. I've used liners, clears, and pures on bones and only run into one thing you have to take into consideration. Surface area. Large surfaces and curved surfaces tend to cause much greater surface tension on the paint and may require multiple applications to get an even coat. Other than that it has always seemed like you're gonna get several answers and no real definitives because everyone has their way of doing things.

• Like 4

Thanks all. I'm priming Nethyrmaul soon and didn't want to do the wrong thing. He's going black-purple, so I was going to prime blue liner.

• Like 1

@Lexomatic I will try that on a couple of Bones I plan on painting soon and get back to you.

@Baugi I've primed with all the Liner colors that Reaper makes, and so far I have had no issues whatsoever. I've also primed with Walnut Brown, and have not yet experienced the problems with it that some have reported, but ymmv. 

• Like 1

I just paint the colour I want straight on to the Bones after washing the figure with dish soap and water. My test of thinning with flow improver worked, but took longer to dry and dried with some shine. Products like matte medium or MSP brush-on sealer work well to dilute paint to greater transparency, but depending on the product may or may not make the paint feel thinner.

• Like 2

Army Painter spray primers work like a charm. They come in many colors too. I have used them to prime all of my bones after the Krylon grey experiment didn't go so well.

I have painted Reaper (MSP and HD) and VMC colors straight on Bones with no issues.

I have primed with Reaper Liners (Brown & Blue), Reaper Brush-on, Army Painter Spray-on (white), and Vallejo Surface Primer (white & German Gray).  The only thing I've tried that didn't work out fine was mixing Reaper Brush-on with airbrush medium - that didn't dry properly though it was okay once I got paint over it.

I'm getting in the habit of priming my bones lately. I can paint directly onto them *most* of the time, but its just a bit easier when primed.

I have a 50/50 gesso to water mix, with a few drops of black so I can see what parts of the mini have been primed. I spray it on with my airbrush, mostly. Works quite well for me.

I use HD and main line MSP paints pretty much interchangeably, and I've used both as a first coat on plain Bones with no issue or notable difference. (I will tend to reach for HD first when I want to paint red or yellow for a bit of speed, but otherwise just pick the colour I like best.)

• Like 2

I want to use a spray on primer for some of my bigger bones figures. Does anyone know of something I should stay away from? I will probably experiment on some of the smaller ones first but I assume just about any acrylic spray primer would work. Unless you guys tell me otherwise. XD

I think most of us don't use any primer on bones. I do usually put down a base coat of a msp liner since those tend to adhere extra well but even that isn't necessary.