Priming Bones

Baugi

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Artists

I want to use a spray on primer for some of my bigger bones figures. Does anyone know of something I should stay away from? I will probably experiment on some of the smaller ones first but I assume just about any acrylic spray primer would work. Unless you guys tell me otherwise. XD

Actually I wouldn't make that assumption. The chemicals in spray products don't always play well with Bones. It's not that they will damage the figures, but the primer might never cure and instead remain tacky or even runny. This is further complicated by the fact that spray products are heavily influenced by weather conditions, so what works for one person in one place at one time of year may not for another who lives somewhere else. 

You can check this thread for reports of what has and hasn't worked for people. (Skim the replies as well as the first post, I didn't really test a lot of sprays after the first one didn't work so well.) The product I've heard the most positive reports on is Army Painter sprays. Another alternative is to airbrush a coat of paint. Both of those options come in a few different colour options, so you can possibly find your base coat colour and save a bit of work.

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/48669-bones-the-first-coat-is-the-difference/

• Like 1

I want to use a spray on primer for some of my bigger bones figures. Does anyone know of something I should stay away from? I will probably experiment on some of the smaller ones first but I assume just about any acrylic spray primer would work. Unless you guys tell me otherwise. XD

Actually I wouldn't make that assumption. The chemicals in spray products don't always play well with Bones. It's not that they will damage the figures, but the primer might never cure and instead remain tacky or even runny. This is further complicated by the fact that spray products are heavily influenced by weather conditions, so what works for one person in one place at one time of year may not for another who lives somewhere else. 

I actually had that problem with Citadel's brush-on Imperial Primer. It went on fine, but instead of drying and giving the bonesium mini some tooth, it just stayed sticky.

Interesting. That is the first time I recall hearing about a problem like that with a brush-on product!

It only happened a few times, so I suspect a bad batch of primer over a bad overall product. I haven't tried it since, but I've been using MSP HDs exclusively as my initial coat on BONES, and haven't had any problems.

My desire to "spray prime" is really just to get a dark undercoat of colour on the large minis before I start using my teeny reaper bottles. I have a feeling my Nethyrmaul will eat up a lot of the paint from one of those droppers.

I wonder if brushing-on some watered down craft paint would give me a similar effect without the danger inherent to spray primers.

I also use the Reaper Liners as a priming step, slightly thinned so the details don't get obscured (note that this only works on a thoroughly scrubbed and rinsed Bones mini, though).

One MSP color I would strongly advise AGAINST priming with is Walnut Brown. Several forumites discovered that the latest formula of it has a tendency to flake/pull away from the Bonesium when the figure is flexed at all, taking with it whatever paint is on top of it. There was another color that did the same thing, but I can't recall what it was or where it was discussed. I think it was in a thread that buglips started.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

We've also been discussing the use of RMS Black Wash as a priming step, thinned with acrylic medium. I've not completed my testing (I haven't had a chance to check wear and flex yet) but initial reports and my own experience seems to point towards a solution that gives a minimal amount of paint on the figure, good definition, and an extremely tough, flexible surface to paint on.

• Artists

It may have some other components like matting agents, but I use it as a medium to dilute paint and it works well for me. It's one of the things I tested to do washes on Bones in the pinned topic with pics over in the Bones section.

• Like 1