Skin recipies

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll start with the darker skin tones and work my way up to mid tone, back down a bit on the shades, back up to the highlights. Use very thin glazes as I work to add depth and each progressive highlight will be a smaller and smaller area.

I also recommend checking out these tutorials:

CMON - Ethnic Skin Tones

WAMP

Massive Voodoo

Fantasy Games

Chest of Colors

Spikey Rat Pack Blog - Pale Skin

ETA another tutorial that I linked below.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 3

Tanned skin triad is my bread and budder.....butter. Add linen white for lighter skin tones as needed for base, shadow, highlights. The skin I did on my frost giant was a mixture of tanned skin triad and harvest brown. If I need a more rosey flesh tone to it, I add barely a smidgeon of pink/tanned skin to cheeks, flushed area and then glaze the flesh tone over that. (Did this to my dwarf rogue)

Ethic skin, lol, I use dark skin, bronzed shadow and dusky skin shadow. The bronzed skin is naturally the highlight and dusky skin is the shadow. Its my favorite way of doing dark skin.

Edited by MissMelons
  • Like 2

There's a great color recipe book that has warm and cool skin colors for every ethnicity around and it's only like $20. 1,500 Color Mixing Recipes for Oil, Acrylic & Watercolor

As for my steps I've got a few but I like to do a few:

1) quick is base, shade wash (p3 is great for most skin colors) and highlights (rosy skin and fair skin highlights from reaper work well for most colors too).

2) for something nicer I do undercoats of greens reds and yellows then glaze a skin tone and highlight.  This really only works for Caucasian.  Probably need to come up with some other colors for the undercoat for different tones.  Might get to that one of these days.

• Like 2

There's a great color recipe book that has warm and cool skin colors for every ethnicity around and it's only like $20. 1,500 Color Mixing Recipes for Oil, Acrylic & Watercolor

1) quick is base, shade wash (p3 is great for most skin colors) and highlights (rosy skin and fair skin highlights from reaper work well for most colors too).

2) for something nicer I do undercoats of greens reds and yellows then glaze a skin tone and highlight.  This really only works for Caucasian.  Probably need to come up with some other colors for the undercoat for different tones.  Might get to that one of these days.

Got that book after your recommendation, and love that part in particular.

In my skins, I love to glaze different colors, usually from the rest of the mini, to bring warmth and variance to it, like reds and pinks and oranges for "hot" spots like cheeks and forehead, or greens and blues for shadows, temples, eye socket, etc.

• Like 3

I always wanted to understand your process better with this method. Did you ever break it down in WIP, or do a tutorial about it?

While I understand your request and interest... the title of this thread is just SO disturbing...

It puts the lotion in the basket or it gets the hose again.

I've been trying to find a good guide for a pale skin with cool hues. Anyone got any pointers? I'm thinking along the line of pale blues with a light skin tone glazed over an off-white base.

While I understand your request and interest... the title of this thread is just SO disturbing...

It puts the lotion in the basket or it gets the hose again.

I've been trying to find a good guide for a pale skin with cool hues. Anyone got any pointers? I'm thinking along the line of pale blues with a light skin tone glazed over an off-white base.

Like this one?

• Like 1

I'll start with the darker skin tones and work my way up to mid tone, back down a bit on the shades, back up to the highlights. Use very thin glazes as I work to add depth and each progressive highlight will be a smaller and smaller area.

I also recommend checking out these tutorials:

CMON - Ethnic Skin Tones

WAMP

Massive Voodoo

Fantasy Games

Chest of Colors

Sweet vesuvius, those links are helpful. Thus far I've been guilty of doing a flat "skin" color for everything flesh, using highlights on leather, armor, metal, etc, completely neglecting complexion. So thanks for this thread!

Also, shoulda named this thread: Dexter Morgan: Skin Recepies

• Like 2