Sign in to follow this  
Edsterdoom

Skin recipies

As for my steps I've got a few but I like to do a few:

2) for something nicer I do undercoats of greens reds and yellows then glaze a skin tone and highlight.  This really only works for Caucasian.  Probably need to come up with some other colors for the undercoat for different tones.  Might get to that one of these days.

I always wanted to understand your process better with this method. Did you ever break it down in WIP, or do a tutorial about it?

Yep. Starting at http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/43866-monkeysloths-cavalcade-of-wips/?p=828062

• Like 1

While I understand your request and interest... the title of this thread is just SO disturbing...

It puts the lotion in the basket or it gets the hose again.

I've been trying to find a good guide for a pale skin with cool hues. Anyone got any pointers? I'm thinking along the line of pale blues with a light skin tone glazed over an off-white base.

Don't chain yourself to colors that are labeled as skin.  Mix some blues and greens into a ivory color, or if you want a super stark look use a cool white shaded down with a Payne's grey like color.  If you paint the light so that it looks right it will read as skin even though it isn't realistic.

• Like 4

While I understand your request and interest... the title of this thread is just SO disturbing...

Not sure it's that disturbing I am sure with a little more thought I could think of an even worse one.

My standard Caucasian weathered adventurer is gradual glazes of chestnut brown- tanned shadow, skin, highlight, then a wee bit of linen white in the tanned highlight on the high highs like cheekbones.

On Dwarves or when I want a ruddier complexion I typically add a wee bit of clear magenta to each step, or use a pinker paint, like p3's midlund flesh with mix-ins for shadow and highlights.

• Like 1

A lot of people fixate on triads, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but you can get a lot of fun results by mixing your own skin tones too. Brown, red, and white colors in various ratios with some others like greens or yellows thrown in can make fun results. Not everyone does like to mess with mixing though, so for those triads can be a life saver. 

• Like 2

I started doing flesh tones with the triads and I still use them as a starting point, though really I use the whole scale of 9 paints from Dark Shadow to Fair Highlight. Then I glaze in accents. A little blue in the shadows, a little red in the mids a little yellow in the highlights. I don't have any recipes yet, I just play around with it.

The Svetlana I did as a gift to Tre I leaned heavily on red browns and yellows because I was inspired by Boris Vallejo at the time.

I've kind of been itching to do a big muscly guy and exercise my skin tones a bit.

• Like 2

When I was in HS, we were very poor and had 5 colors of acryllic paint in jugs. We learned how to mix everything from those colors, including flesh. This helped me early on in my mini painting. Since I've amassed a larger collection of colors, however, I've gotten lazier.

• Like 3