Sign in to follow this  
Baugi

Yet another eyes thread

So I'm painting some stonehaven gnomes. They're small. Their eyes are TINY. What do you do, when the standard cheats (black stripe down centre, poking a little white into either corner, etc.) don't work? What so you do for the REALLY small ones?

I do, yes. It's not so much a matter of magnification as precision, I think. I can SEE what I need to do, I just can't do it!

I do, yes. It's not so much a matter of magnification as precision, I think. I can SEE what I need to do, I just can't do it!

You get loads of sympathy from me. Last night I was working on the Imbrian Arts Blacksands Orc and it's eyes are small and beady to be sure...

Choke up on ten brush till you have as much control as you can and then do dry runs with the brush, 10+times, and go for it. Makes it a lot easier to get the control if you're practicing first.

• Like 3

Yeah, practice without paint first or try it out on paper first a bunch of times. Also make sure both arms are resting up against the table/desk to minimize shaking.

• Like 1

Paint the eye off white and use a sewing needle that has a tiny tiny tiny dot of paint on it. With what 72moonglum said.

Don't do this; the paint will dry before you ever get it to the mini, or you'll be rushed trying to do it in time. A small-pointed brush can have just as small a tip, more precision, and will let you take your time. If you must use a non-brush object though, use a toothpick split down the middle: this way there can be a small reservoir of paint, like in a fountain pen nib.

• Like 2

For eyes too tiny to see very clearly simply cheat and dot them with a micron pen. You can also line them with it if the white part got a little sloppy. This will not produce amazing eyes with character and personality, but at the size we're talking about that isn't happening anyhow.

• Like 1

Any brush with a very fine point will work, just takes practice. No need to try the micro pen or use a needle or anything else that will dry out before you get the paint to the eye. Just lightly touch the area, I like MS's idea of choking up on the brush to get better control. 

• Like 1

Also, if you're going to use a pen: make sure the paint is thoroughly dried. If the paint is still wet, the ink will spread out all over the eye, and it's hard to paint over that- it'll take several coats.

I've done a few of the gnomes. Great minis but really small. I work backwards I paint the eyes huge and outside the lines. Then I backfill with flesh tone. It works okay and gives me decent results, but boy do they look silly for a while :)

• Like 1

I've done a few of the gnomes. Great minis but really small. I work backwards I paint the eyes huge and outside the lines. Then I backfill with flesh tone. It works okay and gives me decent results, but boy do they look silly for a while :)

I do the same.  Paint the eyes first before doing the skin or anything else that painting said eyes could mess up.

Magnifiers. Magnifier goggles, a jeweler's loupe, and good brushes. Also handy when combing the back yard for your children...
planc.jpg

• Like 2