Red Dragon Recipe

Hi guys,

What is your favorite red dragon recipe? It doesn't matter if it is a pinkish or brownish color scheme, just want to know what you guys like the most! I'm planning on painting Cinder and Shadow dragon red at least.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two parts fingers vodka, two parts cranberry juice, half a part grenadine, and one part orange juice concentrate....

Oh, did you mean paint?

I like magma red over a Walnut Brown basecoat, with an olive wash. I can post a picture if I can find a camera... don't hold your breath, though... The greenish wash makes the red really pop. Mind you, I wasn't doing it for a fire dragon, and it wouldn't really fit for that...

• Like 3

Two parts fingers vodka, two parts cranberry juice, half a part grenadine, and one part orange juice concentrate....

Oh, did you mean paint?

I like magma red over a Walnut Brown basecoat, with an olive wash. I can post a picture if I can find a camera... don't hold your breath, though... The greenish wash makes the red really pop. Mind you, I wasn't doing it for a fire dragon, and it wouldn't really fit for that...

I feel like a red dragon cocktail should be hot and steamy though, but I'll give yours a try and report back :D

• Like 1

I'm nineteen. I don't drink often, but when I do, it's sweet. Although a Sriracha and Bacon might work for spicy and smokey... no idea what goes into one of those, though. Sriracha and bacon, I assume, but I'm not exactly a liquor person... I think I've had alcohol twice since starting college three years ago. I usually just mix them...

Edit: I know it involves pineapple, too. Hmm...

The closest master series selections to what I use would be 9001 Red Brick as the shade colour, 9003 Blood Red as midtone, and 9005 Phoenix Red as highlight.  A nice orange like 9006 Fire Orange to mix in with the Phoenix Red and also serve as the brightest highlight should do the trick. 

Of course it's not necessary to use these specific reds, and you can have a lot of play in how you approach red, but that would be my initial starting point for figuring out my progression from dark to light.  Changing up which reds you use, while still working mostly to this basic form, can produce a range of different red effects if you have multiple red dragons and don't want them to look the same.

I favour browns to yellows for belly scales and wing membranes - but many colours could be substituted instead.  Grey-greens and purple/blues have produced some of the most interesting combinations I've seen.  I mostly default to the brown-through-yellow as the more "traditional" style. 

I'm nineteen. I don't drink often, but when I do, it's sweet. Although a Sriracha and Bacon might work for spicy and smokey... no idea what goes into one of those, though. Sriracha and bacon, I assume, but I'm not exactly a liquor person... I think I've had alcohol twice since starting college three years ago. I usually just mix them...

Edit: I know it involves pineapple, too. Hmm...

Surely a Red Dragon should be based on Fireball Whiskey?

(And if you don't like the taste of alcohol, Fireball's great. The cinnamon burn totally covers the whiskey burn. And this from someone who doesn't drink mixed drinks because "a bunch of liquid that tastes like booze" < "a small amount of liquid that tastes like booze.")

Uh... paint though. I don't really have a reliable recipe for red dragons, but I think on the next one I do, I'll try a dark green/brown base, then up through the old blood red triad into orange/yellow highlights. Maybe cream wing membranes?

I use a dull brownish red as a base coat, then a reddish dark brown as a wash, then drybrush or layer up with a bright red, then final highlights go a bit orange. Then I'd likely do a thin dryglazebrush with thinned Clear Red to make sure the red was reddishly red.

Another way would be to basecoat red-brown, drybrush with palomino gold or similar, then layer red over that.... but I like a dullish, warmish red shaded down to brown, personally.