Monolithic druid stone

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now you need a ring of smaller ones. They'd make splendid cover in a tabletop skirmish game...

Or the objective.

I get a mental picture of a bunch of Highlanders fighting a holding action while the druids try to tote the stones back to their deployment area...

• Like 2

Monolithic druid stone. Sculpey and acrylic paint. 

druid%2Bstone.jpg

I once made something like this out of blue (Styrofoam ) foam. It had more of a warhammer elvish decor to it. Also, it had an undercut bevel at the base.

I carved a circular hole in the bottom ---- very shallow. I embedded one or two flat washers in there, to give it some heft and stability. The surprise was that the weights made the stone self-righting. It was like Elven Magic....if the stone was toppled over, it would stand back up, by itself.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Moaz
      Worst. Field trip. Ever. 

• By Rigel
      Maybe this should have gone in the Sculpting thread, but I didn't make a build log when I sculpted these about four years ago. It was my first game DMing, a 5e homebrew, and enigmatic mycelial conspiracies played a large part. At this point I only knew the FLGS as a source of minis, and they didn't have any myconids. So I made do. One of them is based loosely off of bracket fungus and one off of amanita toadstools.
      Showing them off now because a) I picked up some Nolzur/Wizkids new Myconid Adult sculpts to go along with them, and b) I'm seeing so many wonderful mushroom-folk on the forums and love jumping in front of bandwagons.  

The sculpting was ham-fisted and the painting leaves much to be desired, but I am proud of one innovation that you can use for your myconids: for that enokitake effect, get a bunch of sewing pins, clip to different lengths, and bend them into a gentle curve near the cut or pointy end.  Cluster as necessary.

• By djizomdjinn
      So, I was looking around, in the mood to paint a bust. Female, hopefully cheap, and something I don't feel weird about putting on my shelf (so no pinupy stuff, and no "adult" busts).

...why can't I find any. The only one that kind of fits is Portrait of a Young Tiefling, but it's definitely not cheap.

So I decided to sculpt my own out of Super Sculpey. (See my sculpting thread if you want to look at the raw master for some reason) Hit it with a coat of gray primer and... ew. Did I mention how much I hate SS's transparency? Can never tell when something is smooth.

Well whatever, I want to paint. I'll think of a patch method later.

So I went over the worst offending bits with a bit of artist's heavy gel medium. It's transparent (well, translucent at least), fills out rough spots nicely, and is pretty easy to use. I had a jar of it I hadn't touched in years. Hopefully with a coat of sealer even the little bit of roughness will fade away.

Also, yes she is missing eyebrows. Those will be sculpted in with more gel medium. Anyways, more to come, but I'm already excited to paint my first bust!
    • By Edsterdoom
      Well after a long time considering trying my hand at a bit of sculpting I got some Sculpey Firm and tried it out. The model in these photos is something sculpted with my 5 year old son doing the odd item in a 1 hour period. He wanted a "Ghost wearing a furry coat, with a claw and an eyeball tentacle arm"

Here are the two photos of the sculpt following time in the oven.

And here is a current shot during painting and basing.

Overall I am happy how it came out. What's clear is trying to do something fast just doesn't work and this is a good testament to that. In addition the armature was poor and I didn't use very good green stuff. I plan to send a lot more time on the next few models as I want to chart my progress as I go from a complete amateur to someone who can produce some recognisable sculpt (if possible)

As a material Sculpey is different to green stuff and quite forgiving, except when you mush the earlier detail. I plan to use a stage approach by doing some sculpting and curing as I go along, that at I can focus on the basics.
    • By Pippin
      So, I recently got the Frostgrave rulebook and that got me inspired to create warbands.  Of course, I couldn't just settle with the minis I already had, so I had to get more Bones...and then I needed to start sculpting.
      I decided I'd speed up the process somewhat by using Sculpey to do the basic frame of the figures and then get some actual sculpting of the feet and legs.  Beyond about that much, using Sculpey can lead to too much mess, so I cooked them at that point and got started on adding Green Stuff.
      The thaumaturge, as described in the Frostgrave book, lean away from opulent clothing and embellishments and weaponry, so I thought it would be a nice twist to have the wizard and apprentice be a pair of twins.  The wizard is the responsible sister who adheres to the ways of thaumaturges and the cultural traditions of their people (I was going for something vaguely Middle Eastern looking) while her less focused brother tends towards more flamboyance and weaponry.
      She has attire more based on culture and functionality, so she has a harness on which there will be pouches and such.  She also wields a thin staff as a focus for her magic.  I'm thinking I'll do a head wrap on her, but I may just go with a hood.
      He is wearing a medieval English looking style rather than cultural attire, though I will be adding a sash so it's still some element of a Middle Eastern look.  Maybe a falchion hanging sheathed at his hip as well.
      (The pictures were taken on the interior of the tavern I'm creating for my terrain pieces)