Sign in to follow this  
The Dread Polack

Time to get these things behind glass

So, there was a recent kickster that sold a display stand that fit on the Detolf display cabinet (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10119206/) . I had a little cash to work with, but alas, the stands cost as much as the cabinets. I picked up one of the Detolf cabinets last week, and then went about building my own display stands out of craft wood from the Home Depot. A coat of dark brown spray paint, and this is what I ended up with:

2014-08-03%2016.26.02.jpg

Here's a closeup of the stand:

2014-08-03%2014.38.30.jpg

I might build one more stand for the third shelf, and put the bigger pieces on the bottom. It's becoming clear that I will eventually need a second cabinet.

The cabinet is only $65 and IIRC, the wood for the shelves only came to about $15 each. You could probably do better if you tried.

• Like 18

You can't beat the price. You couldn't even get the glass for $65! I was actually pretty surprised at how sturdy it was when I put it together.

You can get at least 60 figures on each stand, so that's 240 per case. I'll need one case just for my kickstarter bones!

Nicely done. The only thing is, the area for placing figures on is unchanged (but you can see them much better, so win!). But any ideas for how to sacrifice some visibility for more minis per cabinet?

You could always use clear plexiglass pillars holding up a clear plexiglass or lexan plate/shelf so that you can divide up each shelf into miltiple ones.   You could even vary thier sizes to allow for smaller minis behind large ones on half/quarter shelves.

You're right. I haven't increased the area, just makes them more visible from the front. Since the stands go nearly all the way to the top, I don't see a need for creating any more effective shelves. You have to crouch down to see the lower shelf, or kneel to see the bottom shelf as it is- cramming in any more would cause them to overlap. 

• Like 1