CAV: STRIKE OPERATIONS KICKSTARTER : Prelaunch Thread

CAVBOSS

Well that was a bit more info than I had thought. I guess you would have been the fellow I was chatting with some years back about ordering Rogue Legion stuff, before I kinda took a hiatus from the Battletech community and the game, when I came back all the stuff I knew of was folded over into CAV and I never knew what become of Talon Games

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reaper User

One thing we did get around to is designing the powered armor for each of the main six factions. Here is a preview of the Terrans, Adon, Templar and Malvernis. Note that some of these are reference pieces hence the funny "pose" and they are not in scale to one another. Hope you enjoy!

ARMOR1.jpg

• Like 9

I might just be out of the loop here, but who are Talon Games?

-- Fair question as I know the name gets mentioned from time to time and I have never really introduced myself.

First off my name is Jon Walker and I have worked for and with Reaper since 1992 as well as being very close personal friends with the owners of the company. In 1994 while still with Reaper full time I set up a small side company I called Talon Games to work on side projects outside of Reaper as I was more of a sci-fi guy and Reaper was full-bore fantasy at the time. I had set up the BattleTech pins and keychains we did with FASA while also producing my line of terrain BattleHex and the game Cry H.A.V.I.C. and its associated miniatures.

As a little bit of side trivia/useless knowledge I built the very first Mech by hand that Reaper ever cast (it was never released) and have a miniature in the fantasy line that was sculpted from my picture (02073). I also designed the original Legends and CAV logo.

Over the years Talon Games has been my little company to work on projects I did outside of Reaper. Then in 2001 I discovered 3D printing, doing most of the work for the CAV line (of which I worked on the 1st Edition rules as well) of minis, several IWM Battletech figs, the Honor Harrington miniature game, RAFMs Call of Cthulu, and many others including my own line of generic mechs, Rogue Legion.

In 2010 Ed and I talked about the future of CAV and where it was at the time. I decided I would like to take it over as lead developer and see what we could do. Like any good plan it changed as time went on as things at Reaper were changing rapidly and that brings us to today.

CAV: Strike Operations is being produced by Reaper Miniatures with Talon Games as lead developer of the line. So you will see both names on the products going forward. Reaper is still very much involved in the game.

Hope that helps with some questions and lets you know a little bit more about me!

Thanks for the info! I never got much into CAV beyond buying a starter set, so I don't know much about its development history.

Also those power armours look great. Add me to the list of people who'd like to see them in 28mm.

*cough*AICOMkickstarter*cough*

• Like 1

I found the "List of Doom" and answered my own question about "what could be".  The corrected scaling is also really exciting.  That being said I am going to hold off painting any of my metal until after we see what gets unlocked in Bones, especially the aircraft. 

I have been pulling together my prototypes and various base types I have in my inventory.  I will be providing threads/YouTube vidoes on the following:

1. Generic Show & Tell
  2. Basing Examples
  3. Dictator WIP (painted up as Rach, of course)

Quick question CAV-boss.

Are the rules going to be similar to 2nd edition, but with some changes etc? I like 2nd edition a lot, and the RAGE works well with it. Or are you creating an entirely new game from scratch?

In some ways it is very similiar to 2nd Edition while at the same time it's a new game.  I really enjoyed play testing this particular system.

Edited by Girot
  • Like 1

• Reaper User

Quick question CAV-boss.

Are the rules going to be similar to 2nd edition, but with some changes etc? I like 2nd edition a lot, and the RAGE works well with it. Or are you creating an entirely new game from scratch?

-- IMHO I think the CAV: SO rules are the best parts of 1st and 2nd Edition with some new spins thrown in. Past that Im going to wait to get into design specifics after you have had a chance to peruse the PDF.

• Like 3

Quick question CAV-boss.

-- IMHO I think the CAV: SO rules are the best parts of 1st and 2nd Edition with some new spins thrown in. Past that Im going to wait to get into design specifics after you have had a chance to peruse the PDF.

That's good to hear. I liked 1st edition, then when 2nd edition came i loved it even more. One of the things i liked about 2nd is the faction doctrines, which gave you actual benefits to playing the different factions other than just a paint scheme.

• Like 1

Quick question CAV-boss. Are the rules going to be similar to 2nd edition, but with some changes etc? I like 2nd edition a lot, and the RAGE works well with it. Or are you creating an entirely new game from scratch?

So, do you want my email address to send me the PDF or will you post a link?

Any news on Reinstating Black Lightning to help make the SO launch and the KS a success?ith

-- We are going to be putting together a new demo team but to be honest I just don't have to time to get it together right now before the KS. I would hope all the past BL members will get out and help us get this off the ground and be ready to go when the call goes out.

I have a very interesting online campaign system that we will roll out that will allow players to influence the game universe going forward as well as many other things we plan on getting out there for the player base!

Well, I'm on board as I have been. I've been supporting CAV for more than a decade, I would love to be able to continue with exposing it to others. Black Lightning membership is a point of pride with every member I have met and worked with. So, sign me up.