Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

WIP - Possibly Cryogenic Captives (Finished!)

Edit:  Finished piece is here:  http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/56271-captives-in-stasis-p02580c-p03312d/

Ok, so I have the two Sacrificial Victim pieces and some plastic covers that look very much like the top of a cryo tank big enough for both of them, plus some dissected clix bases that look interesting:

post-334-0-01705000-1407243927_thumb.jpg

My first thought was that maybe they could be chained to the clix bases to be used for whatever game involves rescuing captives or the captives rescuing themselves and then kicking tail.  Not sure that works:

post-334-0-47671900-1407243924_thumb.jpg

Or I could make a cryo chamber with them both inside - this would work well with my raygun pulp project and be something to stick in the starship hold.  There are all sorts of non-exploitative reasons for two bikini-clad women to be in a cryo chamber together, right?

post-334-0-86523100-1407243925_thumb.jpg

Yeah, you see my problem.  The cryo chamber itself is fine, and I know how I'm going to make it.  The problem is - Why the two of them?  Why is one of them still tied up and blindfolded while in stasis?  Are these human or alien?  If alien, what skin color?  Should the other have been tied up to match, and managed to escape somehow?  

The mechanics of building are fine - I've got that.  I need help with the rationale, and keeping it PG, or PG-13 at most.  Please post your crackpot theories, and I shall incorporate the best into the details.

• Like 8

Thinking Firefly here.

Perhaps they were being held captive by a shadowy government organisation for experimentation on their psychic powers, and now their brother is helping them escape by smuggling them away in a cryo-pod.

• Like 6

Wire their heads together. The blindfold is bandages. Wires creep under it. Figure one may look innocent, but this is an interrogation of the most inhumane, and illegal, sort.

It's a sensory deprivation and primitive reaction-gel based full immersion VR system.

Possibly they are part of an experiment testing the boundaries of newly discovered MIND POWERS. One has expanded empathetic and telepathic capacities, the other displays unpredictable outbursts of enhanced or downright uncanny physical manifestations of power, from shattering anything she touches, to setting things on fire with a glance. While the suspended animation / VR combination should be suppressing this.... it isn't. Additional precautions were needed. Empath was originally tasked with helping BangSmashBurn stabilise her own psychology and master her abilities, but they have been kidnapped by baddies who wish to use Empath to point the gun that is BSB... and have no interest in healing the mind of the latter, since so far, nightmares and violent impulses seem to correspond to substantially higher destructive potential.

Or they have unusual brain capacity and have been linked for parallel processing. One is a merchant banker! The other's a violent psychopath! They fight crime!

Edited by smokingwreckage
  • Like 6

Psychic twins. Two women who have tremendous psychic powers, one the blind seer and the other a mute telepath - together, they can be used as a powerful weapon, if they can be controlled. Separate them, and their power goes haywire, lashing out at those around them. The <insert agency here> has captured/rescued them, and is holding their bodies in stasis as they try to find a way to either control them or wash whatever chemical was used to control them from their systems. If it's a hostile agency, the party might be recruited to save them, or capture them for their own sides use. If a friendly's got them, the party might have to go on a mission to find the antidote to whatever chemical is being used to control them.

• Like 5

I think it might be a mistake using both miniatures in the same chamber. Why not do one and then decide if you want to do the other or save it for another idea?

• Like 3

That was my first impulse, but now I actually think the two together is much more evocative. One in a tank is scenery. Two in a tank? There must be a story behind that. The contrast between the two figures kicks that into gear very nicely. I've got two or three scenarios bubbling in my brain already...

• Like 2

Dressing as one of the high-ranking floozies in the self-style Emperor's palace was stupid, but necessary. It got me to where they were holding her, ready for "processing". A chip to the head and bam, she'd be this backwater crap-hole's ideal, servile woman. The guard didn't see what hit him. I grabbed her and ran. This frame might not look like much but it's all United Worlds millspec, baby. A guard stepped into view. I switched her to the other shoulder, swung a fist mid-height, pulled the punch; only broke four of his ribs. I was around the corner before he'd finished slumping to the floor. The whole place was in chaos, Emperor's Birthday or some other pointless idiocy; masks, intoxicants, dancing. I cut a close-to-random path to the upper docks - technically neutral territory - before they caught up with me; had her in the stasis tank before they fired.

Damn, but that's a big hole. Stings like fury. Artificial muscle fibres are already twisting off, the arteries only partly compromised. I fall into the tank, and the lid slams down; I paint a look of shock on my face and lock-down the motor neurons. It takes a lot more than cryo-fluid to flash-freeze a full military 'borg but I'm hoping they don't know that... I'm hoping they don't notice the muscle fibers - same colour as meat but that's the only resemblance - knitting themselves back together. I'm hoping the freebooter ship I've made it to declares us both Spoils and ships out. And I'm hoping like hell that I don't have to do any more killing to get this mess sorted.

• Like 9

I am currently painting both of these figures as practice.  Its cool to see other people are going through the bone yard to find cool things to paint up.  

You could file down the leg restraints.  Then smooth out with greenstuff.  

Or you could add a bunch more wires and coils and then sculpt a respirator mask on to her

Edited by Hibou
  • Like 4

I REALLY want to make one of these now!   :bday:

Blindfold : bandage = exactly what I was thinking.

You could paint lights and buttons onto the cuffs.

• Like 1

You could make it look like the blindfolded one had glowing eyes, shining through the blindfold into the cryo material, if you wanted. That'd give them a good reason to blindfold her, if she had creepy glowy eyes that freaked the guards out/fired lasers.

• Like 5

I think this is what I'm going to do - and thank you all!

Blindfolded one is going to have wires going under the bandages.  The leg restrains are either getting removed or turned into cuffs joined with cable rather than chain, and the same for the wrists.  There will be blinky lights etc.  She is either the dangerous psychic twin, captured 'bot, unwilling alien used as the ship's CPU, etc.  

The other one is either there by accident, the new psychic twin being grown, robotic blank having consciousness uploaded but with safeguards this time, or is simply there because the CPU will go insane if left alone without company.  I might add like leg-cuffs but nothing extreme.  I do want to keep this PG-13 or lower.  

The restraints will all look sciency, so no medieval overcompensating manacles or anything - I want them to look somewhat dangerous if I can pull that off without having lifted a brush in six months.

I believe I'm going to spray the covers silver and mask window areas on both - the figures will be on a styrene sheet with a cushion greenstuffed on it.

Feel free to keep suggesting, however, I haven't actually set knife to putty yet.

• Like 2

O_O......omg. First thought i had was to have the figures inside the plastic container and fill it with liquid resin so it has the "bacta tank"  look to it.  You can even tinge it to different colors.  Put a light next to it and holy biscuits that would look pretty darn cool imo.

Also, it would keep the figures in place once it set and dries right? So you would be able to life and move it around without the figures bouncing around inside. I may just be mad scientist'ing this and have no clue what I'm talking about lol.

Edited by Mr Melons
  • Like 4

What would do to get the look but still retrieve the minis, would be to keep the "clear" tank as much as possible (only some straps, or something like that, but more in the style of a traditional Star Wars cryo tank, that is, 99% clear), and "fog" it slightly by applying matte varnish, so that you get a scattered effect when light goes through...

Clear resin sounds too cool not to try it, too...  :devil:

• Like 1

The suggestions I have not taken were nevertheless quite helpful in determining what I wanted to do, so thank you.

I made a cushion out of greenstuff smeared on a styrene shelf made to fit inside the cover and still be removable.  The girls go on as shown below.  I changed the chain on the cuffs to be a cable - I will have to disguise this with paint - and removed the ropes around her ankles.  I'm probably going replace those with electronic/cable cuffs, and add wires poking out all over the place.

While I wait for the greenstuff to cure so I can add more, I shall cheerfully entertain more crackpot theories, and even if I don't take the suggestions, remember they still help refine the vision.

Edit:  How about I attach the picture this time?

post-334-0-50671100-1407259118_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Ok fine, another update:

Here are the two cover halves prepped for painting.  The blue tape is masking where I glued on a square of clear plastic for my foggy cryo window - the superglue will make it fog just fine.  The other plastic bits are control panels and such, and the other cover will remain clear.

post-334-0-00950400-1407269107.jpg

I added legs to the bottom of the cushion, both to seat it at the right height within the containment unit and in case I want to use it as a standalone table at any point:

post-334-0-07313400-1407269115.jpg

After I sprayed things silver and glued the other bits to the outside, here is configuration 1:  The foggy-window cryo chamber:

post-334-0-27145600-1407269119.jpg

Here is Configuration 2:  The clear-canopy organic CPU unit or whatever reason we end up during the game for why they're in there:

post-334-0-43868200-1407269111.jpg

Next:  all the fiddly stuff on the inside.

• Like 7