Sign in to follow this  
SGHawkins09

Aina, Female Valkyrie

I love this! Congratulations on your victory!

The base really enhances the movement of the figure and the dramatic pose that Patrick Keith sculpted.

• Like 1

Seriously digging the freehand on the shield! Nice transitions and highlighting on the robe (love that desaturated green, too). As for improvement, I'd have taken the shadows for the hair a touch darker. Maybe down to Mahogany Brown. Also, the splint mail looks great, but more shadow on the top 2/3 of each splint might be a wee bit more dramatic.

Seriously though, I'll be stealing a lot of this for my attempt at her.

• Like 2

I think you did an excellent job with this figure. Your transitions are smooth, the palette is nice and that free hand work is stellar. You did a fantastic job of basing her.  

Congratulations on your win!!!

• Like 1

Love it. I want to give this one a go but have yet to figure out how to fix the sword blade. Top notch work here. Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, I am glad you have found inspiration in her.

Seriously digging the freehand on the shield! Nice transitions and highlighting on the robe (love that desaturated green, too). As for improvement, I'd have taken the shadows for the hair a touch darker. Maybe down to Mahogany Brown. Also, the splint mail looks great, but more shadow on the top 2/3 of each splint might be a wee bit more dramatic.

I had to do something on the shield. It was driving me crazy to leave it plain. The green is actually Reaper's Moss triad highlighted up with Linen White. Thanks for the tip on the hair, I am using the same colors on my next one so that is a timely tip.

Agreed

Both of you can steal away!

Love it. I want to give this one a go but have yet to figure out how to fix the sword blade. Top notch work here. Thanks for sharing. 

The sword was a pain. It was really thin and flimsy so I shaved to much off when cleaning it up. I looked up old viking swords and saw that many were flat bladed so I did not need to shape it too much.

• Like 1

Just great. Everyone scroll back up and look at that face. An open -O- face with severe inflection is the hardest to do on a mini without it looking rediculous. And that looks beautiful.

So where do I send condolences for your workmates?

Great mini.  The red-green-brown combo is excellent. Natural and realistic.  Good to see a red-headed valkyrie for once.   Love the shield.  I'm going to have to try that pattern somewhere.  A broken blade might have been more dramatic!

Edited by Paintergeist
  • Like 1

She is a BEAUTIFUL creation with a WONDERFULLY expressive face. I love the freehand work on the shield, AND redheads are always a favorite with moi. The base is a FANTASTIC,  evocative settling. VERY WELL DONE!

• Like 1

Great job on her, you've created an evocative piece with her poised on the rock outcropping.  I love the work you did on the shield.

• Like 1

Congrats on the win! She looks fantastic!

Agreed

I will be blatantly stealing all of it when I paint mine.

• Like 2