I bought some of Tim Holtz's gears and compass coins over the weekend at Michael's.

Compass Coins: http://goo.gl/z2hwDi

Gears: http://goo.gl/uoukMX

The Plan: I will add a compass coin to the middle of the base amidst the steel plating from the Happy Seppuku stamp. Then top it with a gear and a nail through the two down into the wood. Gear will be free to turn. Then using the smaller gears I will add two matching gears to the front two shields and two matching gears to the back two shields. A fifth gear matching the front or back styles will be damaged and placed on the floor near Wyrmgear. The shiny "unweathered" replacement gear will be on Wyrmgear.

I might use a matching sized boring bit from my drill to create a space for the gears on the shields. That will allow me to inset the gears a bit.

Be on the look out for a graphic depicting the above.

• Like 2

Those gears are perfect, great find! I already started sculpting my own gears for a base, but if something goes wrong I might try an off-the-shelf option.

• Like 1

Those gears are perfect, great find! I already started sculpting my own gears for a base, but if something goes wrong I might try an off-the-shelf option.

Holtz's website has a ton of gears and other oddments re: steampunk.

http://timholtz.com/findings-products/

And they are sold on Amazon. Here's a search for his Gear products.

• Like 1

I spent a little effort on my mockup adding the gears and compass to it.

Not quite the correct perspective for each but the gist is there.

post-7739-0-67186100-1385418468_thumb.jpg

According to my Delivery Status, my Happy Seppuku stamps should be at the house now.

*rubs hands together* Excellent.

• Like 7

Thanks Bryan.

I am getting around to starting this proposed project and figured it would be easier for me to do it in my own WIP.

• Like 1

Okay, Test One... begin.

I have a set of cookie cutters that are hex shaped.  The largest of which make a hex that doesn't quite make it to the edges of my WoldStand Display Base.

So I rolled out some Sculpey and after a couple of tries with varies levels of softness and pressure, I managed to get the diamond plate pattern from my Happy Seppuku stamp onto the service.

Because the stamp is smaller than the hex in question I stamped the hex twice.  Using the edge to create a seam.

After getting what I wanted I fired the Sculpey.

Here's the raw piece after cooking ...  the speckles are from a "granite" Sculpey kit I got as a present.

post-7739-0-24351800-1407628222.jpg

Then during paint day I primed it ...

post-7739-0-29889400-1407628265.jpg

Then I did some painting to see what effects I could create like spilled oil or rust.

Basecoats and Washes ...

post-7739-0-68477100-1407628315.jpg

And then some details ...

post-7739-0-08146800-1407628325.jpg

The whole stamping thing on Sculpey was a pain.  You can see where I missed getting some detail from the stamp.

So while not the finished piece, I figured I could try it out and see what it takes to make it look nice.

More photos after dinner.

Stay tuned.

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 6

Here's the finished piece for Test Hex with Diamond Plate pattern ... it's attached to a Red Oak Hexagon from WoldStand.

post-7739-0-35205000-1407633016_thumb.jpg

• Like 3