Fan Of The Obscure

Dr.Bedlam

Okay the timeline here is confusing me. E.R. could not have possibly been canceled for the A-Team

E.R. ran 1994-2009 (an impressive run by any means)

A Team ran 1983 - 1987

St Elsewhere ran 1982 - 1988 (and I was terribly disappointed with the ending of St Elsewhere, as it turned out to be the dreams of an autistic child)

Now I thought maybe Emergency was being rolled in there but that ran 1972 - 1979

Okay I tracked it down because the title was E/R not E.R ran 1984 - 1985 and I do remember watching it.

Edited by Heisler

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay the timeline here is confusing me. E.R. could not have possibly been canceled for the A-Team

E.R. ran 1994-2009 (an impressive run by any means)

A Team ran 1983 - 1987

St Elsewhere ran 1982 - 1988 (and I was terribly disappointed with the ending of St Elsewhere, as it turned out to be the dreams of an autistic child)

Now I thought maybe Emergency was being rolled in there but that ran 1972 - 1979

E/R had one season, 1984-1985. You're mistaking it for something else.
  • Like 1

I'm also a big fan of Boston Legal, which was popular for a couple seasons but now I don't know of anyone else outside of my parents who have actually watched the whole thing. That might be pretty obscure nowadays.

I am pretty sure I watched that. Is that the one with Spader and Shatner? (The spin off)

I also watched the previous Lawyer show which had McDermott etal. plus Spader in the final season. (The original)

Watched both. Which show was what title is the question what is left of my remembury declines to divulge. :grr:::(::mellow:

Edited by TGP

I'm also a big fan of Boston Legal, which was popular for a couple seasons but now I don't know of anyone else outside of my parents who have actually watched the whole thing. That might be pretty obscure nowadays.

I am pretty sure I watched that. Is that the one with Spader and Shatner? (The spin off)

I also watched the previous Lawyer show which had McDermott etal. plus Spader in the final season. (The original)

Watched both. Which show was what title is the question what is left of my remembury declines to divulge. :grr:::(::mellow:

Yep. It's the spinoff.

I always liked the cheap king - fu, especially where the sound track was super cheap (oone favorite is where the hero is walking through the forest and the sound guy is seeking the words " crunch crunch "as he walks.

But for the real path of nostolgia fun: Starlost is my favorite. It's one of the first show I remember watching (on our heathkit home built tv no less)

• Like 1

Emergency! Boy, that takes me back...

I was never able to watch Starlost without thinking about the epic rants Harlan Ellison threw about that show. Apparently, they hired Ellison just so they could ignore everything he said about how to do science fiction on television...

• Like 1

I found "The Starlost" epically confusing.  It had all the cheesy "Doctor Who" - "Electric Company" special effects, but none of the wit or depth.

I have deeply mixed feelings about Harlan Ellison, but he was not well done by "The Starlost."

His book version of it, "Phoenix Without Ashes," is ... different from the TV show. 

You could say.

yes, Harlan Ellison's rants about the show were actually more fun than watching the shows (I did not say this was a GOOD show, only that I had fond memories of it and it was obscure).  I should actually read Pheonix without ashes. I never realized that was his book rebuttal.  I did like the premise.  and back then I loved the ship (now the effects are cheesy as all get out, but back then I was easily impressed)

As a matter of fact there were a lot of shows from that period that had the post apocalypse theme,  my wife reminded me of another:  ARK II.  that was another one that was on the serials for a while.  Its obscure now, but back then it was popular with my group of friends.

And now for the nerdy part:  anyone else ever seen the private life of plants?  This has to be one of the most amazing documentaries out there... about plants and how they manipulate the world around them.  I especially liked how wheat has wrapped us around the species little finger to help us make it one of the dominate lifeforms on the planet.

• Like 1

yes, Harlan Ellison's rants about the show were actually more fun than watching the shows (I did not say this was a GOOD show, only that I had fond memories of it and it was obscure).  I should actually read Pheonix without ashes. I never realized that was his book rebuttal.  I did like the premise.  and back then I loved the ship (now the effects are cheesy as all get out, but back then I was easily impressed)

As a matter of fact there were a lot of shows from that period that had the post apocalypse theme,  my wife reminded me of another:  ARK II.  that was another one that was on the serials for a while.  Its obscure now, but back then it was popular with my group of friends.

And now for the nerdy part:  anyone else ever seen the private life of plants?  This has to be one of the most amazing documentaries out there... about plants and how they manipulate the world around them.  I especially liked how wheat has wrapped us around the species little finger to help us make it one of the dominate lifeforms on the planet.

Is that connected to the book with the cover of a daisy with a face?

Because my sisters will not let me forget that for a few weeks when I was ten years old I took that book deadly seriously. Stupid leaf auras and all.

I got better.

Anybody remember Otherworld?   It ran on CBS in 1985 for a whopping 8 episodes.  All I remember is that a family wound up in some weird alternate totalitarian Earth, and when the mom went grocery shopping all the cans were white and labelled things like "meat".

That the plain white cans are what I remember most probably helps explain it's stellar, long run. 

Also, apparently nobody in my school saw or heard of it because when I mentioned it in class one day everybody thought I said Another World and right up until high school I had a reputation for watching daytime soaps.  Which is pretty unfair, because if I wasn't in school during the day I was busy being robbed blind by Defender and Ghouls N' Ghosts at the arcade. 

• Like 1

I remember "Emergency +4" more than "Emergency" itself.

It was a Saturday morning cartoon spinoff, and it was "+4" because what paramedic team does not need four children getting underfoot.

Mind you, until I double-checked I remembered it as three children and a monkey.

In the mid-90's Aaron Spelling produced a mini-series called Kindred the Embraced that was based on Vampire: the Masquerade.  My buddy was a huge White Wolf fan and roped me into watching it.  Not knowing anything about the background material, I recall thinking that it didn't suck.  I even went so far as to pick it up on video tape.  I may still have it here somewhere even though I no longer have a VCR.