Fan Of The Obscure

Dr.Bedlam

Space: Above and Beyond, anyone? Other than Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy, it's one of the few shows I can recall regularly watching with my parents. Also quite short-lived. I liked it a bunch at the time, no idea how it's held up.

Ah! And the other show we watched a lot: The Pretender. I actually found this one on DVD a few years ago, gave it to my mom for Christmas. She liked Jared (and my dad liked the lady-lawyer on JAG). Again, not sure how Pretender holds up now, but it had a decent run and I recall it having some well-done plot twists.

• Like 2

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to watch The Pretender after classes in college.

Voyagers! was a show I loved as a kid. I seem to remember there was some on set tragedy that cut it short. But that was many moons ago, and I could be misremembering.

The Marco Polo mini series was also quite good. Anyone remember watching Shogun?

Anybody remember Otherworld?   It ran on CBS in 1985 for a whopping 8 episodes.  All I remember is that a family wound up in some weird alternate totalitarian Earth, and when the mom went grocery shopping all the cans were white and labelled things like "meat".

That the plain white cans are what I remember most probably helps explain it's stellar, long run. 

Also, apparently nobody in my school saw or heard of it because when I mentioned it in class one day everybody thought I said Another World and right up until high school I had a reputation for watching daytime soaps.  Which is pretty unfair, because if I wasn't in school during the day I was busy being robbed blind by Defender and Ghouls N' Ghosts at the arcade.

I never saw the show but a coworker did. When another coworker left on vacation some years ago, she returned to find that everything in her cubicle had been wrapped in white paper with black labeling.

In the mid-90's Aaron Spelling produced a mini-series called Kindred the Embraced that was based on Vampire: the Masquerade.  My buddy was a huge White Wolf fan and roped me into watching it.  Not knowing anything about the background material, I recall thinking that it didn't suck.  I even went so far as to pick it up on video tape.  I may still have it here somewhere even though I no longer have a VCR.

I remember seeing that advertised and feeling vaguely indignant that he had clearly ripped off White Wolf material.  I had no idea it was official.

I did watch "Forever Knight," which was a fairly glum and pessimistic vampire redemption series.  It had its moments, but it ended pretty despairingly.

• Like 3

In the mid-90's Aaron Spelling produced a mini-series called Kindred the Embraced that was based on Vampire: the Masquerade.  My buddy was a huge White Wolf fan and roped me into watching it.  Not knowing anything about the background material, I recall thinking that it didn't suck.  I even went so far as to pick it up on video tape.  I may still have it here somewhere even though I no longer have a VCR.

I remember seeing that advertised and feeling vaguely indignant that he had clearly ripped off White Wolf material.  I had no idea it was official.

I did watch "Forever Knight," which was a fairly glum and pessimistic vampire redemption series.  It had its moments, but it ended pretty despairingly.

I'm assuming that it was authorized; they used all of the clans from V:tM.  My buddy said that Tori Spelling was a fan of the game and talked her dad into doing the series.

• Like 1

Anyone remember watching Shogun?

The James Clavell thing? Dutch squarerigger with an English pilot...7-8 installments?

Not sure... haven't seen it in years... but I recall that "Message From Space" had an oared starship, a mountain base, and I think, an auger nosed ship...

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at some trailers and stuff and I don't think MFS was the one seared in my brain forever. MFS didn't seem to have the Blue Battle Axe Wielding Ewookie and it looked like a better grade of space ships generally.

The thing I saw may be a grade or two below B-movie.

Edited by TGP

I'm assuming that it was authorized; they used all of the clans from V:tM.  My buddy said that Tori Spelling was a fan of the game and talked her dad into doing the series.

The credits say "Based on Vampire: The Masquerade by Mark Rein *DOT* Hagen".

• Like 1

What didn't that have a tie-in to? Even WWF wrestling had a Vampire tie-in. Sadly, still not the worst gimmick ever. That honour shall forever belong to the glitter-glued stormtrooper helmet.

I can't believe some of the crap I've seen.

• Like 2

I remember Time Trax. It was vaguely entertaining.

Kindred didn't suck - they actually had some good writers and it would have been even better if they'd managed to work the prerequisite "And now here's the Regularly Scheduled Blatant Game Reference" more smoothly into the flow of the episodes more often... But most of the time when it focused on the characters it was pretty cool.

I remember watching it mostly because it had Jeff Kober in it, and I've always liked him as an "actor" ever since China Beach.

I'm a fan of Forever Knight - that and Moonlight were shows that I liked because they were interesting shows that involved vampires rather than being about vampires. Kindred was sort of a vampire soap opera - and meant to be so, but for what it was, it was pretty good.

(Side note - I also read the first of the vampire books written by Nigel Bennett, who played LeCroix in Forever Knight, with P.N. Elrod. It was passably entertaining)

I think far too many shows and movies go way overboard with the "I'm a Vampire" thing at the expense of the "I'm a character" thing...

Edited by Mad Jack

Space: Above and Beyond, anyone? Other than Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy, it's one of the few shows I can recall regularly watching with my parents. Also quite short-lived. I liked it a bunch at the time, no idea how it's held up.

I really enjoyed Space: Above and Beyond when it was on. I found it on dvd a few years back, it does not hold up well at all. ::(:

• Like 1

In the mid-90's Aaron Spelling produced a mini-series called Kindred the Embraced that was based on Vampire: the Masquerade. My buddy was a huge White Wolf fan and roped me into watching it. Not knowing anything about the background material, I recall thinking that it didn't suck. I even went so far as to pick it up on video tape. I may still have it here somewhere even though I no longer have a VCR.

What didn't that have a tie-in to? Even WWF wrestling had a Vampire tie-in. Sadly, still not the worst gimmick ever. That honour shall forever belong to the glitter-glued stormtrooper helmet.

I can't believe some of the crap I've seen.

The gobbletygooker was a worse gimmick I think.

I remember Time Trax. It was vaguely entertaining.

Kindred didn't suck - they actually had some good writers and it would have been even better if they'd managed to work the prerequisite "And now here's the Regularly Scheduled Blatant Game Reference" more smoothly into the flow of the episodes more often... But most of the time when it focused on the characters it was pretty cool.

I remember watching it mostly because it had Jeff Kober in it, and I've always liked him as an "actor" ever since China Beach.

I'm a fan of Forever Knight - that and Moonlight were shows that I liked because they were interesting shows that involved vampires rather than being about vampires. Kindred was sort of a vampire soap opera - and meant to be so, but for what it was, it was pretty good.

(Side note - I also read the first of the vampire books written by Nigel Bennett, who played LeCroix in Forever Knight, with P.N. Elrod. It was passably entertaining)

I think far too many shows and movies go way overboard with the "I'm a Vampire" thing at the expense of the "I'm a character" thing...

When Firstborn was just walking and talking, Firstborn's heart was won by a couple of "funny vampire ladies" who gave Firstborn a balloon at a World Science Fiction Convention. They were petitioning to bring "Forever Knight" back on the air, notwithstanding its rather emphatically final final episode.

• Like 1

Is that connected to the book with the cover of a daisy with a face?

Because my sisters will not let me forget that for a few weeks when I was ten years old I took that book deadly seriously. Stupid leaf auras and all.

I got better.

Nope.  this was done by David Attenborough in the 90's there was around a decade of filming involved watching grass grow and flowers bloom and watching plants manipulate animals and insects to do their bidding.  there are 5 episodes and as far as i know it never made it to DVD.

considering some of the modern things that call themselves vampire shows, Forever Knight really wasn't that bad.

• Like 1

Started out OK, but I stopped watching it when all of the dozen or so remaining space fighter pilots were assigned as perimeter sentries on some alien world. I guess I should be happy that the captain of the ship wasn't working the galley, but when the "military" gets that silly on a military show, I'm gone.

• Like 1

considering some of the modern things that call themselves vampire shows, Forever Knight really wasn't that bad.

Nah, it wasn't bad at all. It had intelligence and internal consistency and unspoken ethics.

But it was sooo melancholy. It was like watching a show written by French philosophers.

It was sort of the grimmer, sadder "Highlander."

• Like 1