Fan Of The Obscure

Dr.Bedlam

In the mid-90's Aaron Spelling produced a mini-series called Kindred the Embraced that was based on Vampire: the Masquerade.  My buddy was a huge White Wolf fan and roped me into watching it.  Not knowing anything about the background material, I recall thinking that it didn't suck.  I even went so far as to pick it up on video tape.  I may still have it here somewhere even though I no longer have a VCR.

I remember seeing that advertised and feeling vaguely indignant that he had clearly ripped off White Wolf material.  I had no idea it was official.

I did watch "Forever Knight," which was a fairly glum and pessimistic vampire redemption series.  It had its moments, but it ended pretty despairingly.

I'm assuming that it was authorized; they used all of the clans from V:tM.  My buddy said that Tori Spelling was a fan of the game and talked her dad into doing the series.

"Kindred" was authorized by White Wolf, and included game creator Mark Rein*Hagen on the production staff -- it was one of the reasons I watched it.  My daughter ADORED that show, and was quite put out when it was cancelled.

I did not care for what they did to the Nosferatu clan; on the other hand, I was not surprised that "hideously ugly" on nineties television translated as "bald with pointy ears."

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the mid-90's Aaron Spelling produced a mini-series called Kindred the Embraced that was based on Vampire: the Masquerade. My buddy was a huge White Wolf fan and roped me into watching it. Not knowing anything about the background material, I recall thinking that it didn't suck. I even went so far as to pick it up on video tape. I may still have it here somewhere even though I no longer have a VCR.

What didn't that have a tie-in to? Even WWF wrestling had a Vampire tie-in. Sadly, still not the worst gimmick ever. That honour shall forever belong to the glitter-glued stormtrooper helmet.

I can't believe some of the crap I've seen.

The gobbletygooker was a worse gimmick I think.

I don't know whether to hate you for bringing up something I had forgotten, or appoint you She Most Awesome because you know about the gobbletygooker.

I tell you what - you get to choose.

• Like 1

57237343.jpg

In the mid-90's Aaron Spelling produced a mini-series called Kindred the Embraced that was based on Vampire: the Masquerade. My buddy was a huge White Wolf fan and roped me into watching it. Not knowing anything about the background material, I recall thinking that it didn't suck. I even went so far as to pick it up on video tape. I may still have it here somewhere even though I no longer have a VCR.

What didn't that have a tie-in to? Even WWF wrestling had a Vampire tie-in. Sadly, still not the worst gimmick ever. That honour shall forever belong to the glitter-glued stormtrooper helmet.

I don't know whether to hate you for bringing up something I had forgotten, or appoint you She Most Awesome because you know about the gobbletygooker.

Muahahahahaha! Both I think. The fact that I could share my pain in making you remember that is reward enough.

• Like 1

Anybody remember Otherworld?   It ran on CBS in 1985 for a whopping 8 episodes.  All I remember is that a family wound up in some weird alternate totalitarian Earth, and when the mom went grocery shopping all the cans were white and labelled things like "meat".

That the plain white cans are what I remember most probably helps explain it's stellar, long run. 

I remember it! I remembered it half a year ago in this thread!

In that episode, the family was trying to hide and blend into a community. Unknown to them, the community was made up of androids which were doing work in an area that was toxic to humans. These androids also tried to emulate human appearance and culture -- not too successfully, which was why the grocery store was stocked with generically labelled foods, and the school (I remember) was equally weird.

The episode ended with the family being discovered and helped by the androids, who sent them off in search of some underground resistance.

• Like 2

Anybody remember Otherworld?   It ran on CBS in 1985 for a whopping 8 episodes.  All I remember is that a family wound up in some weird alternate totalitarian Earth, and when the mom went grocery shopping all the cans were white and labelled things like "meat".

That the plain white cans are what I remember most probably helps explain it's stellar, long run. 

In that episode, the family was trying to hide and blend into a community. Unknown to them, the community was made up of androids which were doing work in an area that was toxic to humans. These androids also tried to emulate human appearance and culture -- not too successfully, which was why the grocery store was stocked with generically labelled foods, and the school (I remember) was equally weird.

The episode ended with the family being discovered and helped by the androids, who sent them off in search of some underground resistance.

Ah, so you did.  I didn't actually realize this thread was that old and bumped.  So have some belated +1000000 Nerd Points!

• Like 2

Ah, so you did.  I didn't actually realize this thread was that old and bumped.  So have some belated +20 Nerd Points!

fixed that for you

• Like 1

Ah, so you did.  I didn't actually realize this thread was that old and bumped.  So have some belated +20 Nerd Points!

fixed that for you

Wait, doesn't goblin math only apply to hobby-related materials? I hope not -- I'd hate to explain my $20.00 paycheck to my wife...

• Like 1