Sign in to follow this  
fanguad

01407 - Dana Murphy

Here we have Dana Murphy, which I plan to enter in the Year of the Giants contest and hopefully Spaceship Superstar if I can get her done in time.  The face is basecoated + wash, the eyes are done, and I put down the yellow base coat of her jumpsuit.  I will be giving her a yellow and black color scheme.

post-8582-0-95273300-1407717017_thumb.jpg

• Like 22

Did some work on her face and chest.  I'm interested in hearing critiques of what you see - don't pull your punches, lay it on me.  Lips and eyebrows are the only exception - those aren't done yet.

post-8582-0-07145200-1408412883.jpg   post-8582-0-56287300-1408412883.jpg   post-8582-0-08896500-1408412884.jpg

• Like 16

Really like the color scheme...looks very good. Although, as someone who had a mad crush on April from the first TMNT cartoons and Archie Comics, I am confused by the lack of red hair above this yellow jumpsuit.

The skin tone is headed in the right direction...nice highlights and most of the shadows look well-placed. I do think the highlights could come up a bit more everywhere but the throat/collarbones; right now, that area looks almost as bright as her cheekbones, while it should be more in shadow.

I also think the lining around the tops of her breasts could smooth out and blend down a bit in shade, since right now it looks like she has two flesh-toned eggs superimposed over her chest, rather than skin connecting the breast to the pec.

Even knowing they're 72mm, those eyes are stunning. Really nice work so far on a piece too rarely painted.

• Like 5

Nice start. Did you airbrush the yellow on?

Need to see if I still have mine after seeing this thread.

I've marked up one of your pics.

post-12951-0-79854200-1408454315.jpg

So the areas in green could use an additional highlight or just little light catch.  the areas in red could use a nice cool shadow color, something to deepen and enrich the shadows already in place. 

She looks really nice though. 

Edited by Dontfear
  • Like 6

There's usually a soft shadow just under the eye, sort of a muted reverse of the highlight of the eyelid above it.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I tried to incorporate most of them into tonight's work.  The camera wasn't really cooperating, but I think you can see some of the changes.

post-8582-0-67715100-1408494210.jpg   post-8582-0-12651700-1408494211.jpg   post-8582-0-68702100-1408494211.jpg

The cool shadows look really good at arm's length, but weird up close where you can see the transition.  I think I may have used a little too much blue around the neck.  I struggled to raise the highlights without either getting sharp transitions or too large of an area.  However, I think she's looking better than yesterday.  Thoughts?

post-8582-0-07003700-1408494210_thumb.jpg

Slowly working on other bits.  The grey is going to being the highlight color for the black gloves/boots/jumpsuit.  Yellow and gray = ugh in my book.

Sanael: now I can't unsee April O'Neil.  The flesh wash settled very strongly in a few spots it shouldn't have.  At this point there's not much of the flesh wash left, so I'm not sure if it was worth bothering with that step.

haldir: yes, I airbrushed the yellow.  only missed one spot, too.

• Like 12

Ooh, yes! Those cool shadows are doing wonderful things. She's looking sharp! And yes, the chest blending looks much better.

Sorry if my TMNT obsession has set you on a conflicted path. Seeing more of the black/grey on the jumpsuit is tempering that impression for me, now.

The additinal highlights defintily were the right thing to do.  They look great.   The extra blue in the shadow needs a midtone wash as it reads too blue on the neck but not in the jaw line as that looks just about right.  If any of that makes sense to you. :wacko:

Edited by robinh
  • Like 2