77177 Wyrmgear

odinsgrandson

It's stunningly polished. I get a kick out of those miniatures which, when you see them, for a moment you cannot determine if they are a painting or a photograph of a painted figure.

Was this a commission? If so I trust your client is delighted.

Yes, he seemed quite pleased, and is now a return client for a number of cool minis.

Among other things, the guy has great taste is minis to send me- he's sent me quite a few really nice ones.

• Like 1

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man, I have wyrmgear and I think you just set me back a decade in painting mine. Maybe we can trade. You want to paint another...right? :)

This one was actually a commission, and I honestly would really like to paint up another one sometime (I can think of a few more ways to portray him).  Although, he's gone the way of all commissions (off to his owner) so swapping isn't really an option.

I am most impressed by the bold move of keeping the wings largely very simple. <- Terrible sentence, my social circuits are a bit overloaded and need time to cool.

The big sweep is, I expect, very unforgiving of blends, and could also be expected to look plain. You've made it .. I dunno... majestic.

Stunning work on a very straight\? direct? iconic? interpretation of the figure, it just looks like this is exactly how he'd look in the catalogue. Totally pro. I tips me lid t' ya.

A further compliment: you have conveyed a sense of being totally unfazed by the wings and the big, to my mind intimidating, planes of this model. I find that impressive.

Edited by smokingwreckage

Thanks.

The wings actually did give me a headache for a bit.  I had a different approach right off, and it did not work out at all.  In the end, I scrapped it completely and re-did them.

Since this was a commission, that meant working overtime a bit, but that's just a risk you take when you use untested techniques.  Honestly, I'm sometimes surprised how many of my experiments come out totally working.

• Like 1