Siri's Guide to Painting Rust

Sirithiliel

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really glad people like it ^.^ this is my first actual painting tutorial and I'm glad it's well-liked and can be useful. I think I could've used more exposed silver flooring on the biggest base after looking at it, but ah well. I'm really happy with how the small one came out. As my husband put it, 'that looks like touching it would give you tetanus' heehee. The manhole cover didn't come out too bad now either, thankfully ^^ I was worried about it while painting them up

• Like 2

Or poke it with a paper clip (or pinning wire). I think there's a stopper in the bottom of those that if you knock it out, the paint will flow. (And by "flow" I mean, "you have to be very careful.")

Also, I'm using a modification of your technique on my troll in "Warrior, Maiden, Monster." "Modification" meaning, "I don't have any brown liner, so I had to make due."

Edited by dsmiles
  • Like 2

Or poke it with a paper clip (or pinning wire). I think there's a stopper in the bottom of those that if you knock it out, the paint will flow. (And by "flow" I mean, "you have to be very careful.")

Also, I'm using a modification of your technique on my troll in "Warrior, Maiden, Monster." "Modification" meaning, "I don't have any brown liner, so I had to make due."

I make great use of my skull paint poker thing I got at Reaper Con. Even bought a few extra to give out here local as nice con gifts. Friends really liked them. But a simple T pin works real well.

Or poke it with a paper clip (or pinning wire). I think there's a stopper in the bottom of those that if you knock it out, the paint will flow. 

I'm sure Sirithiliel knows about using a pin or clip to clear a clogged paint bottle. That doesn't always solve the problem. I have 2 dropper bottles that came with miscast droppers. One was crooked and wide at the top and leaked into the cap like crazy. The other just didn't flow without squeezing very hard. I use pins to clear all my bottles but that didn't help with those. Sometimes it's better to replace a malfunctioning or leaky tip. That solved both of the issues I had with the problem bottles. It's also nice to be able to just replace a dropper nipple that ends up extra cruddy. $2 for 12 droppers is an easy add on if you have a couple fussy paint bottles.