Sign in to follow this  
Shogun

Dnd theme mixer suggestions

So I'm having a Dnd theme mixer for my DND 5e players and there partners this Thursday and I was hoping for some ideas.

It will be a session 0 which has a few new faces to dnd and rpg'ing generally. I'm great friends with these people and there partners so talking "shop" is not only fine it's expected. I made all the chars for the party from the basic rule set and they seem very close with the pregen chars (except way less equipment). I had a few ideas.

-if u dress up as your character you are rewarded extra items to start with your char (trinkets, adventuring gear(which they have little) maybe even a short sword!)

-for really earlier arrivers put on the episode of community that they play dnd s02e14 so they get a basic understanding

-go over what they think the game is , how to play and go over a few combat rules etc

-show the minis I painted for them! Woot woot

-have appys and possibly make piña coladas :)

What's some fun DND /RPGs stuff I could go over? Maybe call each other by there game name ?(drink if u don't!?)

You could have a short dungeon crawl without player-characters. Just pass out monsters to people. Draw them out of a hat. Which side the person ends up on depends on what they draw.

So two sides. You referee. The Kobolds and their reptillian guard dogs tangle with a squad of Orcs and their goblin mascot led by a Dark wizard. Throw in a Kobald Shaman maybe. Aim for a one hour skirmish. Doesn't matter who wins --- everyone is the bad guys. 

Everybody rolls dice, learns the rules mechanisms.

When somebody rolls a one, their side drinks.

And then winner fights the PC's in the first dungeon? o,-

Edit: And this is the yummiest, btw, if you're looking for food suggestions... Or jalepeno poppers - fresh jalepenos, halfed, smeared with a bit of neufachatel or cream cheese, and with a 1 or 2" slice of bacon lain on top, toothpicked and placed on a baking sheet and then baked at like 400*F for 20 minutes, or until the pepper is tender, the cheese is squishy, and the bacon is nice and crisp... they're my go-to gaming food.

Roll the 20: as each person arrives they roll a d20. There's a list of 20 typical phrases, words, way to speak (accent, voice) that they'll have to do for the game. This will help people to role play and get into the game. For those that do it successfully, a bonus item or free roll from a Nat 1?

Edit: like 1 would be they can only speak in third person. 20, they talk like Shatner or something.

Edited by MissMelons
  • Like 5

It depends what people like. I'd certainly consider enforcing silly affectations by race and class. The more horribly unPC and cliche the better. Drink or penalty if you fail. barbarian might have to scratch his/her crotch and belch every time they announce an action. Elf might lisp or sound like an offended starlet, or repeat the now infamous "Still the prettiest elf" quotes from the Secret Diaries of LOTR. Dwarves, obviously, have to carry on in an outrageously bad Scots or Russian accent. Paladin has to say verily or forsooth at least once in every sentence, or for the cleric it might be ending everything with "...in accordance with the Scriptures". Mage has to say "with maaaAAAAAaaaagic" and waggle her fingers... etc, etc.

But some people really get into it in their first game and want to feel it, so if people are looking to do that, then I'd hand out bonuses for heroic deeds, bonuses for cool descriptions, stuff like that. Basically add some real push to whatever you feel the group is gravitating to. If the newbies just want to party, snack, and throw dice, cool. If they want to go with the impromptu drama, roll with that.

These are great ideas! Oh it shall be fun.

I figure with the players partners coming as well there won't be any minis or sitting round a table playing and it will be more socializing with a few fun dnd themes thrown in(will be rechecking this next week for the first game).

I will for sure be doing the d20 voice game and acting like your character with in game rewards (spouse can gain you extra rewards if they play along)

Not sure about pin the tail on the goblin! Does buglips know you do this?

What about a kinda murder mystery type idea using our dnd chars? It would take a little work. Any one done this type of thing?

• Like 3

the list so far

Speak in third person

proper british accent

talks to fast

skeletor

russian accent

christian bale as batman

uses big words out of context (to sound smart)

bane from dark knight

lisp

stutter

sometimes talks in song

clint eastwood

1. trinket & reroll, 20. Bonus item and choose voice

i need 6 more , what do you guys think so far? remove any ?

Speak in doggerel (poorly rhymed phrases) ...a poet, doncha know it. :devil:

• Like 1

Have lots of D&D books out for people to browse through.  Some people love looking at the art, some people love reading stats, some just like to get more acquainted with the system.  They'll be great for getting conversations started, and for giving spouses/SO's something to look at while everyone else geeks out. 

Beware of mixing books with greasy finger foods and cheese puffs. 

Have lots of D&D books out for people to browse through.  Some people love looking at the art, some people love reading stats, some just like to get more acquainted with the system.  They'll be great for getting conversations started, and for giving spouses/SO's something to look at while everyone else geeks out. 

Beware of mixing books with greasy finger foods and cheese puffs. 

Stacks of paper towels or napkins next to the books...