CAV: SO Rach Kraken Preview

CAVBOSS

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On a side note as a topic of conversation. If this model was done to scale with the CAVs it would be about 4" long. Not a big deal with plastic, but do you want a 4" long fighter for your game? Discuss...

I think that could be intrusively large on the table. Considering that the Kraken is a aerospace unit likely to be operating at a significant altitude above the action on the ground, I don't think the model necessarily needs to be exactly the same scale.

I'm new to CAV and mech games in general, but I am aware that this was an issue for Reaper in its earlier incarnations of CAV. I certainly think tanks and other ground units should share a pretty close scale, but planes? Not so much.

I've played a LOT of other minis games where some elements were not in scale with others. I don't think it has to particularly destroy the imagery on the table, and can make things a lot easier.  Space stations and planets in starship games is an obvious example, but units operating in a different medium (air vs. sea vs. ground vs. space) are definitely another.

For whatever it's worth, that's my two cents...

• Like 2

Ok, I'll admit I like the larger size just because I have a thing for air/space craft, and a not-to-scale version would likely work just fine . . . 

I would go for a big one though . . . maybe it could be done it two sizes with the larger being a special edition piece! :-)

• Like 1

I'd have to say that I think keeping the scale "true" will probably cause less fuss in the long term. And, I would happily field a big-butt aerospace thing. People might be all "woah that's a bit big" but "it's to scale" is a way simpler explanation AND if it's good for 15mm you might pick up some sales.

• Like 3

At 4" it seems a bit large for something designated as a "fighter".  When you say it's designed to "deliver the 'goods'", does that mean a CAV unit?  I think a 4" (or even larger) dropship might work, but I think it would be unwieldy to have a large number of "standard" aircraft in the game at that size (from a gameplay perspective).

The caveat here is that I'm not familiar with CAV and I don't know how common aircraft are in games.  If they tend to be fairly rare or used sparingly, then "large" models aren't such an issue.  But if you have a significant air wing, consider how it would play out on the table.

• Like 1

• Reaper User

At 4" it seems a bit large for something designated as a "fighter".  When you say it's designed to "deliver the 'goods'", does that mean a CAV unit?  I think a 4" (or even larger) dropship might work, but I think it would be unwieldy to have a large number of "standard" aircraft in the game at that size (from a gameplay perspective).

The caveat here is that I'm not familiar with CAV and I don't know how common aircraft are in games.  If they tend to be fairly rare or used sparingly, then "large" models aren't such an issue.  But if you have a significant air wing, consider how it would play out on the table.

By "goods" I'm referring to ordnance. A fighter is approx. 60' in length (see F-14 Tomcat). In 10mm scale that makes the fighter right at 4" long. In comparison a CAV is 25 to 35 feet in height, making them about 1 1/2" to 2 1/2" tall.

I think 4" fighters are cool as hell and would be great to paint. Pricing could be around $10 to $15 each, but CAV is not a fighter game and they would distract for the overall battle taking place below them. We could go with 50% scale and write it off to perspective as a CAV pilot looks up into the sky. :-) Not saying how we are doing it yet for sure as I don't know...yet. Just getting some feedback.

• Like 5

My one issue with CAV historically has been how it has treated Gunships. They have always actually been more like Jets. I have difficulty looking at something like that and seeing it hover around the battlefield like a helicopter/grav type thing. It looks like a fighter to me which would make strafing passes. I've always thought of gunships more along these lines: http://zhangx.deviantart.com/art/Space-Ship-02-326915361

http://zhangx.deviantart.com/art/daily-practice20110730-245448770

I'd really rather see something like this as a rule add on, kinda like Alpha Strike does with aerospace fighters. You have an abstract airmap and if your fighter gets to space zero (which is the ground map) then you can make a ground attack that turn. Then the fighters would only need to scale to each other.

That said, if one of these was sold at 4" I would buy it for the cool factor but I'd certainly not use many of them on the table. I think a good size was the old true scale Ghasts.

Edited by papabees
  • Like 2

• Reaper User

Roger,

That's why we moved gunships into a more inclusive model type of Aircraft. Your example is more in line with my thoughts as well and I think you will be seeing that in the new transports (not to be confused with dropships). Right now though I'm not going to break them down any further, other than by task. So with the kraken you have an aircraft, task: attack.

How they stay over a battlefield is up to your imagination. With variable thrust, anti-grav, etc to choose from, hopefully you can get your brain wrapped around it and quit making me think of new rules! ;-)

• Like 3

Here's my thoughts. Now, I have never played CAV and only watched a few demos, but I feel at 4'' long no matter if it is to scale or not, it ill take up way too much space on the tabletop and will be somewhat more difficult for players to measure for movement and such unless you plan to scale up the bases for them to the same degree. Which, if you did that would make them even more of an obstruction on the table as opposed to a fun to use game piece