CAV: SO Rach Kraken Preview

CAVBOSS

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never really appreciated how damn huge fighter are, and I've worked right along side them!  This REALLY gives me a whole new perspective on the scale of the CAVs.  I suppose my brain keeps autocorrecting how big they look in my head to match a Warhound Titan.  Stupid autocorrect.  ::P:

• Like 2

First, that fighter is gorgeous! 

That being said, aircraft always seem a little mucky on a tabletop just based on the relatively small battlefield size involved. Strafing runs, represented by battlefield effects, make way more sense to me though I certainly do understand that it looks cool to have aircraft on the table, especially on a really tall base or pole so that they are actually above the action. 

I think there's room for ultralight gunships in CAV, but once we start talking about fighters & bombers, I don't know...in-scale, we wind up seeing a lot of jet fighters cruising around at 70 mph or so and then still turning on a dime.  I'm not all for absolute realism in every single case, but when I think aircraft in CAV, I think I'd rather see something like jetpack infantry or some sort of flying car vehicle than anything that requires lift and ramjets.  Something like the CAV-universe equivalent of the MH-6 Littlebird might fit in well with the scope and scale of CAV.  

So on the one hand, a 4" fighter is perfectly apt and, again, that Kraken looks awesome!  On the other hand, I'm not sure how much action it would see on my table.  

Large models are an imposing sight on the tabletop, and having everything be in scale satisfies my OCD geek side, so my initial reaction and thoughts were "Large aircraft -- yeah!"

On the other hand, the key word in the previous sentence is "imposing" -- larger models make it difficult to move things around during the game.  Furthermore, to echo Pingo's comment about the car scale thread, some things just don't look right when scaled properly (my favorite example is the weapons that most fantasy adventurer minis carry -- they look right but are actually too large, but they would look puny if scaled with the rest of the mini).  My hunch is that a 4-inch fighter would look too big next to the CAVs, even if in scale with them, and would also have the effect of diminishing the coolness factor of what are supposed to be the stars of the game.

My hunch is that a 4-inch fighter would look too big next to the CAVs, even if in scale with them, and would also have the effect of diminishing the coolness factor of what are supposed to be the stars of the game.

Exactly right - especially considering that everything is deployed in squads or wings, so we're not just looking at a single 4" fighter, but a group of 2-6 if I'm remembering the old organization rules correctly.  

• Like 1

I'm going to go with smaller scale. My reasoning is that this 4" model, using an average of the two scales you mentioned for the CAVs, comes out to about 61 ft. That's a tad shorter than an F14 Tomcat and half the length of a space shuttle. And I can see that model in my hand just fine. But if you lock yourself into in-scale, then any larger vehicles will be super large in-scale.

I don't mean to say you'll have larger models, but this sort of locks you in. Might cause some raging to have a future larger and more powerful vehicle be a smaller model. So doing it out-of-scale would allow a lot more freedom in the future.

Course, if it comes out as the 4" model, it'll join my painting cabinet as one of the fleet of spaceships. A larger one, but it'll fit.

• Like 2

I'm going for another angle here.

Honestly Big is good - I like the 'keeping things in scale format' especially when models are close together as it's great for consistency but I must confess I remain keen on the smaller scale of some of the aircraft from the previous CAV incarnations and using them in situations when the craft are in modes that only get a brief look at the battlefield.  The Hedgehog and Ghast models are a good example of this. When in the air crossing the battlefield the small scale model is great, but coming to ground to 'do their business' or even just to be an objective on the play area, big scale is a winner.

How about doing what's been in place already and produce them at the 2 different scales and let gamers take their choice of how to play them?

• Like 2