Sign in to follow this  
CAVBOSS

CAV: SO Rach Kraken Preview

Board Scale vs Actual.

When deciding what scale works best for CAV: SO, my main concern was to get a scale that was easy to "model" for. Trying to equate the scale to what weapons could do would never work. In CAV:SO the max effective range of a assault rifle is 8" which works out to 40 yards/meters. In the real world, the M16 is effective as a point and fire of around 550 yards/meters.

So that worry went right out the window. I had to pick weapon ranges that would be fun to play and scale them in contrast to one another, not the actual board scale.

So with 1/180th you get an easy conversion of 1"=15'. With elevations levels 10 feet tall, that make a building or hill 3/4" tall for a Level 1, a common size for wood/Styrofoam. That way you can use terrain that is scaled with the minis and have a great looking board!

• Like 5

Board Scale vs Actual.

When deciding what scale works best for CAV: SO, my main concern was to get a scale that was easy to "model" for. Trying to equate the scale to what weapons could do would never work. In CAV:SO the max effective range of a assault rifle is 8" which works out to 40 yards/meters. In the real world, the M16 is effective as a point and fire of around 550 yards/meters.

So that worry went right out the window.

Don't sweat it CAVBOSS. When I play Battlefield 3 I'm only good with my M16 for about 40 yards anyway (stinkin game) :blush:

• Like 1

Don't sweat it CAVBOSS. When I play Battlefield 3 I'm only good with my M16 for about 40 yards anyway (stinkin game) :blush:

-- You need to give me your user name and we can die together. Though Im stuck with Titanfall right now. I got the special edition with the big plastic model and want one for real! :-)

• Like 2

Designing to a very different ground scale than figure scale, with the figure only marking the approximate position of its corresponding unit, is very common in military wargaming.

I can certainly see that but if the scale gets too small it will mess with my Steampunk themed n-scale rail layout! :-)

• Like 1

Designing to a very different ground scale than figure scale, with the figure only marking the approximate position of its corresponding unit, is very common in military wargaming.

I can certainly see that but if the scale gets too small it will mess with my Steampunk themed n-scale rail layout! :-)

-- You are good to go. Ive set the stuff up to US made N scale and it looks fine IMHO.

• Like 1

-- You need to give me your user name and we can die together. Though Im stuck with Titanfall right now. I got the special edition with the big plastic model and want one for real! :-)

Not surprisingly, it is Papabees. I share it with my son though so if a 11 yr old answers don't panic.

so now, after I get the kickstarter, I'm going to have to budget for N scale buildings too? Why couldn't I have picked a cheaper hobby. Like scuba diving, or globetrotting playboy?

• Like 4

so now, after I get the kickstarter, I'm going to have to budget for N scale buildings too? Why couldn't I have picked a cheaper hobby. Like scuba diving, or globetrotting playboy?

-- Well only if you want to. At some point I have a couple of dozen sci-fi buildings in pdf that you can print out and fold up to use. They look pretty tight and I will be making them available.

• Like 3

If you take a look at my blog you'll see some different things I've used for terrain. Also, nothing says you have to have a cityscape to fight, it just looks cool.

I like the idea of a 4" craft like that.  That's probably big enough that I could actually break out the 3-hair brushes and tackle some "nose art" on it (or at least a SUGGESTION of nose art).

Edited by Jordan Peacock

Could we please keep everything in scale to each other? A 4" aircraft shouldn't detract all that much from your 'robot' forces. Look at games such as Dropzone Commander, sure the dropships play a BIG role in that game, but the ground forces still look great!

We have infantry, Mechs and ground vehicles in scale to each other, please don't shrink the aircraft!

Also keep in mind that an F-14 is a bigarse airplaine, an F-16 to scale would be just over 3" long, just over 2" wide and very thin, the hull would be around half an inch thick. If it's a big, heay airplane, make it a big heavy airplane, but is that the norm for the setting? An Apache or a Cobra would be around 3" long.

• Like 2