This is the first time I've ever posted stuff that I've painted. I am a novice--only been painting a short time, but I love it.

I have a really hard time with getting a good picture, in fact I wish these were better. I welcome all feedback as I do want to try and get better. And if you have tips on taking better photos please share. I think one reason it's so hard to is because they are so shiny because I use The Army Painter, Quickshade.

Mistress of the Grove:

post-12264-0-11297100-1408068511_thumb.jpg

Malice:

post-12264-0-78044000-1408068613.jpg

Nexid Slave:

post-12264-0-34268000-1408068614_thumb.jpg

Gauntswept Scavenger:

post-12264-0-44051200-1408068615_thumb.jpg

Thopas, Lesser Gnome:

post-12264-0-35710000-1408068616_thumb.jpg

Giant Cave Toad:

post-12264-0-88101100-1408068616_thumb.jpg

Thanks.

I gathered that it was okay to post non-Reaper stuff when I read through the rules. If I am mistaken please let me know.

• Like 16

Great job, especially on the gnome!  I got these Whisper and Venom minis as well, and I was really impressed by the quality.  And yes, posting non Reaper minis is perfectly fine here :-)

A top coat of a matte sealer will do much to knock down the shine, which will also help get better pictures. As it is, these are nice and in focus, which is all that really matters for showing your work. Definatley off to a great start as a mini painter too. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Thank you for all the kind words. It's very encouraging.

Out of a bit of frustration I did one last photo of the gnome. He's as shiny as the rest, I just have different lighting (different room really), and I wonder if that's why he looks the best.

@Corvus Umbra: I wonder, could you post a link to an example of the matte sealer you are talking about. Than might end up being a real difference maker, and I'd like to try it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Genghis_Sean
      I suck at photography.  Took probably twenty pictures, trying to find an angle, distance, light combo that accurately reflected how good these look, but finally gave up.  They're good enough for the Black Plague table-top anyway.

• By Jasper_the_2nd
      I'd done a Bones bugbear back just after I started painting again. At the time I tried to match him to a bugbear I'd painted years before for Chainmail. When I did him I used a lot of Partha paints.
      Those paints have since been passed to a friend since I'm using mostly Reaper now, with some Army Painter, P3 and Vallejo thrown in. So I decided to figure out some current colours that came close.

They aren't the best pics, but I've been sick, so I'm happy I just got them finished by the end of the month.
      Over all they came out close enough to the originals as to look like normal variations to me.  These guys are a little less orangy yellow, and there hair isn't quite as red. But I think they will do nicely.
      I did them all with the same colour kilt thingy as I've got two (or is it 3) more of each, so will do two more "squads" with different colours.

• By Jasper_the_2nd
      Well I got back from my second week of vacation in August, and realized I only had  week and a day to get my quota done for the Resolutionary Painting Challenge for this month!
      A quick Sunday night dig through my drawers of Bones and I found some Kobolds to speed paint.

These 9 were painted in maybe 4 hours over 5 lunch hours last week. Just base coats and a few details.  Then brought home and Quickshaded.  I then sprayed the first 3 with anti-shine, which frosted (due to the humidity I assume).  So they were coated with a gloss brush on to try to save them.  It brought them back some but they are still a little frosty in a few places...oh well, these are for table top  ...  They were then all coated with a brush on matt sealer.  I may give them a bit more attention with the matt sealer tomorrow evening, but its almost 1 am here, so good enough for tonight...

• By Jasper_the_2nd
      Here are 4 Bones Pathfinder Goblins (3 pyros and a warrior) that I whipped up in 3 lunch hours so that I could complete my Resolutionary Painting Challenge goals for June.

I'll probably add a couple of pictures with them off the bottle caps, but right now the dull coat is still drying....(not that I left anything to the last minute or anything....)

• By Jasper_the_2nd
      This is a little bit of a two year flashback for me.  When I started painting again, some of the first things I painted were a bunch of Megaminis skeletons I'd got in a big combo pack.
      I'd just picked up some Quickshade that I wanted to try out, and I'd read a how-to on using it for skeletons.  So I blasted through almost the whole set of skeletons until something (I'm thinking my first Reaper order, with my first Bones in it) distracted me.
      Just a few weeks ago I was cleaning up down in my basement painting area (trying to get it usable, so I can get back to learning to use my airbrush) when I found the five skeletons I hadn't painted.  So I decided I'd try painting them the same as I did back them.  I immediately ran into one problem...I'd originally painted them with Partha paints, and I'd just given away all my Parthas to an old friend who was getting back into painting. I figured out some colours that seemed close went with them.
      It was weird painting this way again.  The whole paint job was less than my normal base coat now.  No wonder it takes me so much longer to paint stuff now. 

So here are the 5 I painted up over the last week or so (I was sick for a few day, which slowed me down).

And here they are mixed in with the horde I painted two years ago.

At some point I'll go back and put them all on bases (perhaps the ones coming with Bones 2).

BTW, I'd like thank Xherman1964 for letting me know that these used to be made by Metal Magic back before Megaminis had them.  And does anyone know where they are now? Megaminis closed for a while and sold off most of their molds.  The owner is back up and casting again, but so far doesn't have the skeletons available...

• Who's Online   5 Members, 1 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)