Heroes of Fantasy: Input Wanted

Dr.Bedlam

O forumites! Wise and foolish, knowledgeable and featherheaded, hearken unto me, for in my madness, I ask your opinions.

Been on kind of a fantasy literature kick lately. Started a thread about "who are the great swordsmen of fantasy literature," a while back, partly just to see who thought what, and partly for ideas. At the time, I was building Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser out of Reaper figures I'd picked up at the convention.

Since then, I've been indulging myself, with literature and with miniatures. Someone pointed out Kane the Mystic Swordsman, a character created by Karl Edward Wagner, in the Swordsmen thread, and I had never heard of the character, though I was familiar with the author. Wound up buying some books for the Kindle, and Wagner's heroic fantasy's as good as his horror. So I built Kane in 28mm from stuff in my Vampire box.

I dug out my old Conan figure, and refurbished him; I've gotten better in the years since I painted him the first time. And, of course, where there's Conan, there has to be Red Sonja, which can be found in the Savage Beauty collection, which I had on hand. From there, it got a little nuts; Red Sonya of Rogatino and Elric the Albino came together out of more figures from the Vampire box. And now Jirel of Joiry takes shape on the workbench; I'm hoping to finish her before Monday.

And after that... that's where you come in.

The only other figure I can think of that I want to try in 28mm is Cugel the Clever, from Jack Vance's Dying Earth series. Anyone got any suggestions? Doesn't HAVE to be Reaper, but if anyone can think of a Reaper figure that suits the look of the character, I'd like to hear it.

And while I'm thinking about it... what other greats of fantasy literature deserve to be made for my shelf? I decided not to do Kull, because he's frankly pretty similar to Conan. And I don't wanna do any of the Princes in Amber, because I don't really wanna do a series of nine figures at the moment.

But who am I missing?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[...] And I don't wanna do any of the Princes in Amber, because I don't really wanna do a series of nine figures at the moment.

But who am I missing?

Do a set of Merlins: Your take on the legendary/historical Merlin, T.H. White/Disney Merlin, movie Merlin (with skullcap) and Zelazny's Merlin. (Who was not one of the Nine, but an offspring.)

• Like 1

I have never had the pleasure of reading a thing by Vance...

(Where did I go wrong?...alas, misspent youth.)

The only other figure I can think of that I want to try in 28mm is Cugel the Clever, from Jack Vance's Dying Earth series. Anyone got any suggestions? Doesn't HAVE to be Reaper, but if anyone can think of a Reaper figure that suits the look of the character, I'd like to hear it.

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/cloak/sku-down/60076

He is heavily muffled and cloaked, telescope easily converted to Cugel appropriate gear, somewhat ornate hat...

Jirel of Joiry FTW!

Would you consider Northwest Smith? He's SF, but it is a very old school, fantasy-like SF.

I rather liked Tomoe Gozen.

There's Ged of Earthsea.

Ista Dy Baocia.

Christopher Stasheff's Warlock In Spite of Himself, and Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos the assassin.

Mavin Manyshaped.

Titus Groan.

Shadow, from Gaiman's American Gods.

Harry Dresden and Lord Darcy.

Phèdre nó Delaunay.

• Like 1

I have an old Citadel Witch Hunter I painted up as Solomon Kane years ago; I'd forgotten him until you pointed him out. Also have two Citadel Gandalfs; for some reason, he's kind of a glut on the market. But when The Fellowship Of The Ring came out, I broke my ancient vow and bought the dratted Fellowship boxed set, thinking that the way GW operates, I'd better move fast before they quit supporting the game and the figures vanished. So naturally, now they're STILL available.

And when I think "classic," I tend to think "characters that have stood the test of time." The Heroes of the Lance are actually kind of reaching that point, considering the books have been out for, what, thirty years? You'd think they'd reissue the old boxed set. I already HAVE Raistlin in plastic; the old D&D collector miniatures line issued all of ONE of the Heroes, durnit. Got Drizz't, though. And Guenhwyfar.

Had to look up Haplo. He sounds interesting, but I'd have to read the books. Weirdly enough, I already have Beowulf and Grendel; they were issued by Ral Partha back before the oceans swallowed Atlantis. Got 'em in the same shopping trip that yielded the Three Stooges ogre. And while Jason and the Argonauts sounds good, I'd have to hunt up some appropriate 28mm Greeks, durnit...

A series of Merlins sounds kind of interesting... so after I finish the Death Gate cycle for Haplo, I need to go back and reconsult my T.H. White. This assignment is yielding a hell of a lot of homework...

TGP: If you've never read Vance, how do you know what Cugel looks like? Not that you're WRONG -- you're NOT -- but I'm wondering. And you're missing out by not reading The Eyes Of The Overworld and Cugel's Saga; they're great stuff, and FUNNIER than I expected.

Pingo: Weirdly enough, I just finished reading a Kindle story where Jirel of Joiry MEETS Northwest Smith, although NW is more of a pulp science fiction hero, considering his sidekick is a lecherous drunk Martian. Now you've got me wanting to build a lecherous drunk Martian. Ged... now there's one I hadn't thought of... and Reaper makes a figure that's convertible to Harry Dresden with minimal effort; my girlfriend saw the thing in the catalog and promptly chivvied me into obtaining and painting her one (I like Jim Butcher, but she adores him). So now we've got two...

I liked American Gods a lot... if I found a Shadow figure, I could just paint two, and then I'd have a Shadow figure AND a Neil Gaiman figure...

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 1

Other than the original Dragonlance trilogy, the Death Gate Cycle is one of my top 5 favorite fantasy series. The other three being Amber, The Bartimaeus Trilogy, and the Robin Hobb Fool collection (Assassin's Apprentice, Royal Assassin, Assassin's Quest, Ship of Magic, Mad Ship, Ship of Destiny, Fool's Errand, Golden Fool, Fool's Fate).

• Like 1

Do they need to be fantasy greats? lol

Ever read Glen Cook's The Black Company series? Any of the Taken would be great characters to try and recreate...  Or anybody from the Company for that matter, particularly Croaker or Lady.

Then there's Simon R. Green's Hawk & Fisher... Those two should be fairly easy to put together.

Frazetta's Death Dealer would be a cool conversion project, especially if you try to borrow from as many figures as possible.

Any of a dozen or more characters from Steven Erickson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series : Kalam, Quick Ben, Toc the Younger (especially after he loses the eye), Fiddler and Hedge, Anomander Rake, Silchas Ruin, Gruntle, the T'lan Imass, the Jaghut, the Seguleh, the list is almost literally endless and most would be pretty easy to convert from existing figures.

• Like 4

If you're going to do Kull you need to do Thulsa Doom. 

Elric is always worthwhile as is Rackhir the Red Archer. 

As soon as I level up my painting enough that I don't make myself nauseous looking at my miniatures I plan on painting Ser Duncan the Tall as he was in The Hedge Knight. 

Flash Gordon would be great. I'd love to see someone do him justice. 

I'll post more later when I can think.

Oh, and American Gods and Anansi Boys are two of my favorite books ever. I approve. 

Oh. I threw together Flash, Dale, Zarkov, the Hawkmen, Ming, and a squad of Mongo soldiers and tin robot years ago, for a skirmish game we were dinkin' with. Still got 'em around here somewhere, although they aren't my best work...

Well looking at the bookshelf to my right:

Paksenarion - Deeds of Paksenarion by Elizabeth Moon

Bahzel Bloody Hand - War Gods Own by David Webber

Jamieth (Jame) - Godstalk by P.C. Hogdell

Druss and friends - David Gemmell

Kvoth- Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Alec and Seregil - Luck in the Shadows by Lynn Flewelling

And if you are going not-fantasy: Hiro Protagonist - Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

• Like 2

Morgaine and Vanye from CJ Cherryh's Morgaine Cycle books. While technically science fiction, the tech in these books meets the requirements of Clarke's third law and is indistinguishable from magic. The stories read as 70's era sword and sorcery sorta crossed with Stargate. Great characters doomed to a quest that is literally to save reality.

Plus Morgaine's sword is essentially a captive black hole. Kinda ups the ante on the whole demon blade motif that so many fantasy characters have. ::):

Edited by Erifnogard
  • Like 1

TGP: If you've never read Vance, how do you know what Cugel looks like? Not that you're WRONG -- you're NOT -- but I'm wondering. And you're missing out by not reading The Eyes Of The Overworld and Cugel's Saga; they're great stuff, and FUNNIER than I expected.

Let's just say: My list of books read is woefully incomplete :down: ...but my Google-fu is sometimes awesome :B):

Jamieth (Jame) - Godstalk by P.C. Hogdell

Yes, yes, yes. +1  And riding on a Rathorn.
  • Like 2