OK...I have some time today so I'll start this up. Won't actually get to start seriously painting again until September or so, but at least this inital post will be taken care of.

So I play Warmahordes, specifically Legion of Everblight (title of the thread kind a gives it away, I know). And I have a sizable force, most of which is still bare primer or only partially basecoated. I'd like to field painted armies, since dice roll better for those (that's how it works, right?), and I feel like it's a good idea to get more painted before I start buying more (who am I kidding). So, since this thread has to start somewhere, a catalogue:

Painted now...These have been posted elsewhere, for the most part, but it's cool to see it all in one place. The big dude in the back is a Carnivean. Clockwise, there's a Beast Mistress and four Shredders, two Stingers, a Shepherd, a Feralgeist and pLylyth is in the center. Not shown (was in a display case when I set this up) is a Strider Deathstalker. This represents one warlock and 28 points worth of army.

post-3328-0-68810100-1408307750_thumb.jpg

Now...unpainted. First up, the 'Locks, beasts and solos:clockwise from top center: Angelius, Proteus, Annyssa Ryvaal, Forsaken, pVayl, pAbsylonia, two Raeks, Afflictor, Scythean. In the center is a Sorceress on Hellion, a magnetized Carnivean/Ravagore and two Harriers. This is another 65 (or 66) points and two warlocks.

post-3328-0-86572700-1408308035_thumb.jpg

Unpainted units:clockwise from top left: two min units of Blighted Nyss Archers and one unit attachment, a complement of five Incubi, a unit of Striders and UA, a full Spawning Vessel and a min unit of Raptors. This is 35 points.

post-3328-0-15113500-1408308358_thumb.jpg

And I have a Throne of Everblight and an Archangel. The Throne is the one that actually seems assembled (it isn't, really), and the AA is the pieces around the perimeter of the photo. This is another 29 points.

post-3328-0-71370200-1408308466_thumb.jpg

So, all told, that's three warlocks (pAbsy, pLyl and pVayl) and 157 points of Legion, of which one 'lock and 28 points are painted. That's just about 18%, so I need to get cracking.

Annyssa Ryvaal is likely the next piece I'll finish; she's almost done as it is. The Harriers are also really close; I'll likely complete all the basecoating on the other wingading beasties while I finish out the Harriers.

• Like 10
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, you're making me feel bad for balking at painting five of the same figure for the next Bones v. Metal challenge.

Heh.

Well, the "good" news is, among those units, there are no sets of more than four identical models. The archers do represent fourteen models with identical kits, but they're in different poses, so that counts as...not...identical. Right.

At least the archers are on the list of "last models to paint." Too bad they were some of the first ones I bought, but that's what I get for assuming theme lists were the best way to build armies.

Auberon, I wish I had the hobby-time to dedicate a few full days to this. As it is, if I have another 20 points painted by Christmas I'll be mildly surprised.

OK, after my initial post yesterday I had some time to do some work here. First up, a catalogue of the paint scheme. I keep a paint book to find recipes and whatnot easily; it's a business card holder, and I put swatches on the blank backs of cards. My initial schemes, based n the first pieces I painted for the army, look like this:

post-3328-0-98477900-1408418540_thumb.jpg

post-3328-0-73396900-1408418521_thumb.jpg

post-3328-0-72762300-1408418531_thumb.jpg

Now, those are pretty complicated schemes for painting an army. I'm going for "looks good but paints quick" on these models, so I've simplified the scheme a bit. The base scheme remains pretty well the same, but the blighted Nyss units and the beasts have dropped several steps (more on that when I start painting the Raptors, or striders...the archers will have to wait a while). The beast scheme is now pretty well this:

post-3328-0-16982300-1408418633_thumb.jpg

post-3328-0-83607400-1408418648_thumb.jpg

(the set of paint on the left of that second pic is the colors on dirt for the bases; the set on the right is for the beasts.

What's fun is that the three primaries of this color scheme--the teal, orange, and purply-red--are on just about everything. The teal and orange make a phenomenal green that bases all my brassy metals in the army, the violet red shades all my skintones, and so forth. The brown series it what goes into the armor plates on my beasts, and it's still too complicated (read: time-consuming) for army painting...The next bunch of armor plates I do will likely lose one of the steps in the gradient and cover it with a glaze. We'll see.

Anyway, I said I got some actual work done. Here's pAbsylonia, Annyssa Ryvaal and a Forsaken. Mostly, I painted their dirt bases, started the rocks, and started the armor plates on Absy and the Forsaken.

post-3328-0-39353200-1408419024_thumb.jpg

I also laid in the basecoats on my wingading beasties: the Angelius, Afflictor and a Sorceress on Hellion. The teal was done with an airbrush, with which I am not yet proficient, and the wing membranes and plating were normal brushwork.

post-3328-0-08733000-1408419184_thumb.jpg

Finally, I did the plating on the Harriers. These guys are soooooo close to being done. I need a bit more blending to smooth out the wing spines, and I need to shade and highlight the membranes. I'm really jazzed at how the orange and teal work together; you won't miss seeing these on the table! Once these are done, I'll have a full complement of lesser warbeasts to come out of the spawning vessel, so that'll be nice.

post-3328-0-80957700-1408419343_thumb.jpg

So that's it for now. Let me know what you think, what you like, what you hate.

• Like 7

Wow...I did not know the extreme carni was that much larger. At that weight, I'm that much more glad the sculpt has never done much for me on an aesthetic level. Lugging that to and from the flgs would be a pain!

I'm very excited for both eAbsy and the Neraph...she seems like a fantastic aggressive option, and is such an incredible sculpt. The Neraph looks like a fun little toolbox. They have shuffled the order of my buy list considerably...although the Blighted Bather is the most recent purchase!

Wow...I did not know the extreme carni was that much larger. At that weight, I'm that much more glad the sculpt has never done much for me on an aesthetic level. Lugging that to and from the flgs would be a pain!

It is, in all honesty, heavier than either of my Colossals. If I remember my measurements right it stands at about 8-9" tall, with the resin base and the spines and all.

I'm not much into Legion anymore, but I try to keep up with their rules at least. My son likes them. (My daughter wants Circle, and my other two boys both want Blindwater.) I'm much more heavily invested in the big, stompy robots, myself (Retribution, Pirates, and Highborn with a side of Four Star and Khador).

It is, in all honesty, heavier than either of my Colossals. If I remember my measurements right it stands at about 8-9" tall, with the resin base and the spines and all.

I'm not much into Legion anymore, but I try to keep up with their rules at least. My son likes them. (My daughter wants Circle, and my other two boys both want Blindwater.) I'm much more heavily invested in the big, stompy robots, myself (Retribution, Pirates, and Highborn with a side of Four Star and Khador).

Given that it's mostly restic, I'd expect the Archangel probably weighs less than my Proteus, but that still makes the X-Carni pretty impressive.

When I have enough painted on Legion, I'm definitely branching into Warmachine...still not sure if I want Cryx or Ret. I already own some Cryx, since they make great Karrnathi undead in my Eberron game, but I really love the look of Ret. But I have a good bit of time before I have a good chunk of LoE painted, so I don't have to decide yet.

Edited for autocorrect...

Edited by Sanael

Uber, it's a business card portfolio. The pages are one card by four cards, so when shut the book is about four inches by nine. The pages are pre-bound, so there's no rings or anything. Cards slide in from the side.

Works well for us because we have about a billion obsolete cards from a former job, but you can get the same thing for index cards, it'll just be a bit larger.

• Like 2

Its super easy to deal with, too. We just keep a pile of blank cards at hand on the table, so when we start something new we just paint a swatch on the card, make a few notes, and keep going. Then we just have to put it in the binder later.

Every now and then I'll reorg a bit, so related things are together, but for the most part it just stays in whatever order the cards go in.

Also, nicer than a notebook with fixed pages, the cards can come out, so if I'm taking a particular project on the road I can take just those cards.

• Like 4

Unfortunately, I'm still just winging it. But I remember all my important recipies. "Legion Skin" is: 1 part Prussian Blue, 1 part GW Red Gore, 5 parts P3 Frostbite (at least, mine is). It comes out a really, really pale violet.

And I did an all-metal Proteus as well. His face was just too heavy for the plastic kit. (When I got the X-Carni I took my plastic Proteus, and turned him into a Scythean, and took my metal Carni and turned him into Proteus. Ah, the benefits of not using plastic glue.)