Finally did some work, last week, when the wifey left town. A trio of Bones orcs for your viewing [dis]pleasure:

WP_20140817_001_zpsb5295b53.jpg

WP_20140817_002_zps2efd5b85.jpg

WP_20140817_003_zpsdc37e086.jpg

WP_20140817_004_zps8ac75957.jpg

Nothing groundbreaking, obviously, but some new stuff for me. I lined them up and painted the three all at once. One to the next to the next with each bit of paint. The only real difference I went for with each was the washing--I used, entirely as an experiment, an orange, green, and red (Citadel's, whatever their silly names are), as they sit in the photos. And followed with Reaper's brown afterward. It was an experience, I guess, if nothing else. I didn't kill myself agonizing over these guys, aiming mainly to use them for a Pathfinder game, and that, honestly, was a bit of a relief in and of itself. Hopefully they're good enough to go--and still, any advice for improvement is greatly appreciate. Thanks for looking.

• Like 20

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nicely done, they'll look good on the table.  Like Adrift said, maybe diff. color pouches to mix them up a bit, they all look identical from the back and that could help players tell them apart during combat.  Also, might try highlighting green skin with a yellow-green instead of white for a little softer look. 

• Like 1

I love the scruffy, grungy look of these guys. YOu can tell these orcs have gotten down n' dirty and are ready for more fightin'!

I like to paint tattoos on their heads to differentiate them. Nothing special just a yellow, red or blue scar/lightning bolt/arrow or what have you.

• Like 1

Practice freehand on paper until you feel confident with it.  A few squiggles or a line is all you need to get started. 

You should be able to get a pretty good highlight mixing green into the yellow.  Do orcs need to have white highlights? 

• Like 2

Practice freehand on paper until you feel confident with it.  A few squiggles or a line is all you need to get started. 

You should be able to get a pretty good highlight mixing green into the yellow.  Do orcs need to have white highlights? 

That's actually the same green I used for their skin, lightened with white. Yellowing the highlights makes sense, especially if it looks too white--I keep having trouble with getting highlights high enough, though, so I keep trying to pump them up to get the contrasts.

That's actually the same green I used for their skin, lightened with white. Yellowing the highlights makes sense, especially if it looks too white--I keep having trouble with getting highlights high enough, though, so I keep trying to pump them up to get the contrasts.

Here's another tip for ya for color contrast. You can add a deep dark red glaze to the darkest areas of the greens to help darken them and they will read as much darker. A glaze of really watered down dark red and your brush would be barely damp like a water color and gently put into those shadows. Yellow added to green will lighten it up and on the very very tops of muscles for the highlights I'd even go with some pure yellow.

• Like 2