Sign in to follow this  

I started prepping this Miniature yesterday, got him primed and attached to a large binder clip.

I started thinking about colors, and just cracked up !

The Red Knight kinda precludes something in the name.

Soooo, gonna have a lot of Red, and some black, and some silver.

Sculpt also has a horses faceplate on it, that might be a bit of fun to toy with.

Maybe a Ruby color ?  The scabbard is also empty, so instead of a lance, I'll be using a sword

in the Right hand.  Note the dynamics of this piece.  Incredible movement.

Here is the Red Knight on Horse Lined in Brown Liner.

post-12655-0-82631000-1408373609_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-60797500-1408373610_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-30423100-1408373611_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-10173600-1408373612_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 6

Decided to get an intermediate glaze of red on cloth.

So here is a touch of splattered Crimson that was laid over the liner.

This gives me a solid red to play off of.

Next I will put a dark green (very diluted in layers) into the deep folds to give me shadows.

Then I will switch to lighter reds and build up depth and hue.

post-12655-0-95443300-1408379393_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-72307200-1408379394_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-42430100-1408379395_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Looking really good here Jay, your brushwork is getting better and better with every figure that's for sure.

• Like 1

I wanted to add a technical comment here while I was at it.

I am NO WAY an expert; but I do have a few observations.

This stage with the primer is Holy Heck on your brushes.

Don't use you big guns at this stage.  That primer will shred your brushes, as will poking them in those dead areas.

Use a brush that is a work horse.

Secondly.  I tend to use this stage as "figuring out what I am going to do, or finding the stirrup before bouncing up into the saddle".

I stop after applying this step and do maintenance.

(yeah, Maintenance).  I clean my brushes, dump the water from the well, prep the palette to start anew.

I use "The Masters" brush Cleaner and preserver on my brushes.  Its like soap and get the brush wet,

rub the bristles into the palm of your hand and get the dried paint out, smooth out the bristles, and

bring them to a point again. Rinse well, point them once more and allow them to dry.

Really prolongs the brushes life.

If you take good care of your tools, they will take good care of you.

(Soap box placed under desk where no one can see it).

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 2

I lost a 0 size brush in part of the process.

I knew it was near its end; but didn't expect the wild hairs to show up all at once.

Finished putting in the darks into the shadows, and now it is a glue brush.

Here is the heavy contrast stage that, to me, is invaluable; when I start painting a Mini.

All that dark shows me, with NO confrusion where I need to bring in the light, and all that dark

allows me to bring a full gun color for a highlight, and get some Pop and Sizzle.

Here is the Red knight with his green washes in the folds.

post-12655-0-20237300-1408383957_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-92455000-1408383957_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 7

Thats a lot of folds Jay!    I see this as a challenge to your highlighting skills and I fully expect you to surmount it.  Maybe even go one step higher with some spot highlights!!  :devil: 

Please bring back a goblin...  the one and only one (remember as a break from the knights which i think lasted one night) you did is feeling very worried that he won't be able to challenge the small army of Knights you have been growing!  :wacko:

• Like 3

Thats a lot of folds Jay!    I see this as a challenge to your highlighting skills and I fully expect you to surmount it.  Maybe even go one step higher with some spot highlights!!  :devil:

Please bring back a goblin...  the one and only one (remember as a break from the knights which i think lasted one night) you did is feeling very worried that he won't be able to challenge the small army of Knights you have been growing!  :wacko:

Once I am done with all those folds, and copious amount of Red, I promise that I'll do a couple Goblins just for a break, and also have fun with the colors.

I have four more 25mm miniatures in the wings, so a goblin or three will be a nice break from that intense concentration !

:blink:

• Like 3

Been working on the Red Knight.  Gosh, a lot of layering going on, and all those folds...eeeeeeekkkkkkk!

Getting the balance in there, glaze by glaze.  Added the horse flesh also.

Think I'll do so metal work if I get back on time later this afternoon.

This sculpt is so dynamic, amazing when you start putting real color in there.

post-12655-0-77653200-1408470448_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-68082500-1408470449_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Now the real fun has begun. Dealing with all the little bits, details, and tie-ins.

Doesn't look that big of a deal at this juncture..chuckle.

Tom's genius comes in here.  Little details start popping out at this stage.

So I have begun the metal portion, and the jewel portion, and the armor portion,

with the hidden hand under the shield.  I still haven't painted the shield yet.

Guess I'm saving that till closer to the end..forces me to focus..yeah..thats it.. forces me to focus...

So here is the Red Knight, with a few additional touches.

post-12655-0-04730300-1408553773_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-73446400-1408553773_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 3

So what mini is this? It's so cool looking, especially with your paint job, I'm tempted to put it on a wishlist and maybe pick it up some day  ^_^

• Like 1

So what mini is this? It's so cool looking, especially with your paint job, I'm tempted to put it on a wishlist and maybe pick it up some day  ^_^

This miniature is from Thunderbolt Mountain.  25mm, legendary Figures.."The Red Knight".

I have been painting this series for some time.

at one inch tall, they aren't easy, but goodness are they fantastic to do.

My son gives them to me as presents.

Love that Kid :)

• Like 1

Thanks, I will have to look it up and see if it is feasible to get some day ^.^

I look forward to seeing what more you do!

EdIt: Oh! he's not nearly as pricey as I thought he'd be. I bet I can swing for one  ^_^

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 2

I've been a painting, and a painting some more.

Oh, I have just totally gotten into painting this dude !

But ------ DANG I LOVE those Reds...!!!

I'm almost to the basing stage... just have lance and some fussing about to do !!!

Kathud !

Here is what I done did !

post-12655-0-04195400-1408559522_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-80721200-1408559522_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Husband says a sarcastic thanks by the way  ::P: I ordered one. Thanks for showing it to me!

And gosh those reds are beautiful! So deep and vibrant!

• Like 2