So with trepidation I am starting a thread to track the likely painfully slow and experimental process of mashing up the Bones Eldritch Demon with a Games Workshop Chaos Space Marine Daemon Prince.  Lots of Greenstuff will be involved.  Probably blood and tears as well.  I have the initial blush of an idea of what I want to accomplish but large sections are essentially going to be sketching with greenstuff.

The plan is for this to end up as a Black Legion Daemon Prince that is Lovecraft Mythos meets 40K Chaos.  I picked Black Legion for this because I already have Daemon Princes finished/in progress for all the 40K Chaos Gods and their Legions so I figured this would work as an unaligned Prince which fits best with Black Legion.  And I think the paint scheme will be wicked.

For this project we will be using:

1) Head and wings from the Bones 77113 Eldritch Demon.

2) The front of the 40K Chaos Marine Daemon Prince chest and it's arms.  Not the back half as you can also build a fantasy version of the daemon with this kit and the back is shared between the two models and looks better with the fantasy version.  Also, it is easier to put the Eldritch Demon wings more organically into the model this way.  Or so I tell myself.

3) What is likely to be a ton of greenstuff since the back and the entire lower body plus any random detail I decide to add will need to be sculpted.  Let's just say the lower half involves tentacles not legs.

Side note for mods, I had a heck of a time deciding what forum this went in between CP&T, WIP, and Sculpting.  If I picked wrong, feel free to move me.  <_<

Here's some pics of the upper body in the 'slap some greenstuff on it and see if we like the shape' stage.

post-7951-0-43643000-1408681232_thumb.jpg

post-7951-0-13547500-1408681234_thumb.jpg

post-7951-0-03692100-1408681236_thumb.jpg

post-7951-0-90572500-1408681237_thumb.jpg

post-7951-0-02004700-1408681240_thumb.jpg

post-7951-0-73072000-1408681241_thumb.jpg

Edited by Erifnogard
  • Like 11
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to be pretty epic !

We can only hope, pray, and make appropriate sacrifices.  Blood has already been spilled in the endeavor (in the first trimming of parts from the sprue no less!) so hopefully that is a good omen.

• Like 2

Will popcorn suffice as an appropriate sacrifice? :rock:

Great, now I'm hungry...I mean sure!

I'm torn about the face tentacles. I think they look good now, but a bit too 'all in one plane'. I'm hesitant to try reshaping with hot water though because I'm concerned that if they ever got hot enough again they would revert to mold shape and ruin the paint job. I could cut them off and just sculpt new ones but that rather defeats the point of using the Eldritch Demon head to save time/effort. I'll leave that decision till later in the process but chances are I'll convince myself to leave them alone since this is theoretically a tabletop figure.

• Like 2

I have adjusted things in bonisium (is that a word) with hot (boiling) water and shocked them with cold (ICE) water and they have not reverted yet.  We have had 30C and high humidity weather so I suspect they will stay unless I give them another bath in boiling water.

I have also adjusted swords and things after painting and the paint stayed on them.  Bones is so much fun!

So I would say adjust your tentacles if you want to!

• Like 1

Did I mention that I believe in overkill on armatures?  Well, I did talk myself out of using 14 gauge galvanized steel wire this time but I still went with decent size brass.  I cut them to roughly 6 inch lengths and roughed out some shapes for the tentacles and then proceeded to solder the snot out of them.  Some trimming for length has already occured.  I know it looks like the body is sitting too high right now, but the arms are very beefy and I'm going to extend the body down a bit before splitting into tentacles.  Here is the test fit, further adjustment of the tentacles may occur either for length or for overall angle.

post-7951-0-60208500-1409432364_thumb.jpg

post-7951-0-33152500-1409432367_thumb.jpg

post-7951-0-05695600-1409432375_thumb.jpg

post-7951-0-94892000-1409432377_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Coffee Nerdery Beer
      Hi there all, I've decided to dive into the deep end with finally trying the scary world of OSL. 😄

Feel I've lost the plot on this ... so any advice on how to proceed with this would be greatly appreciated! (Having fun, though, despite not knowing what the hell I'm doing. 😁)

I'm including a "top down" view, which is where I'm most confuddled. That dark line down his arm which represents the shadow from the staff which sits between the source of light ... it just doesn't look right to me.  🤔

So, I'm all ears for suggestions on improvements!

• By aku-chan
      Wanted to continue working on my Underworld stuff, but didn't fancy the last two minis I had left in the previous thread, so thought I'd roll them into a new one.

This time we've got 10 randomly chosen minis, the two dudes from the last thread and the whole Sea Elf team (They felt too fragile to pack away after I built them).

Here we have Cyrille and Celine (A pair of Elven Peacekeepers) and Snoz a Goblin Scout with his wolf Fang.

This set consists of Zellotl (Lizardman Warrior), Freshly Awake (a newly risen Skeleton), Frilna (a companion beast to the Fey Elves), Sorcha (battle-hardened Mercenary) and Ailithir (Evil Knight).

Yrkill and Jafari (from the previous thread) plus their companions Sigmundur and Sethos (because someone or something is determined to have me paint these particular teams). Sethos isn't an Underworlds figure but is a matching Cultist from the OOP Warhammer Quest:- Silver Tower game on an old resin base I found.

And this is the Sea Elf team.
      We've got Gaelin (he's a Fish), Tanjaya (the Warrior at the back), Indra (a Summoner), Surya (a Harpooner with no eyes) and Orym (he's a Crab).

Making a start on Sorcha:-

Painted the furry collar on her cape.
      It's a base of Cold Grey with a Black Wash and the drybrushes of Cold Grey, Ghost Grey and Off-white (Only on the upper shoulder bits).

Not sure if I should paint her head next or the armour that's close to it, either way I think I'll make a mess.
    • By MoonglowMinis
      Been a minute since I've posted a WIP, so I figure I'd roughly document my current paintjob.

I'm running a 5e game with a heavy focus on the Shadowfell, and our most recent addition to the party is a native of that realm - a Hexblood or "Hexen" in our game lore. These dark fey are the children of hags - The Mothers Three - and are made from earth, blood, and stolen souls.

Going for a dark but vibrant paintjob - blue skin, and dark clothing.

After priming, I like to block in my darkest colors. It makes it easier for me to avoid missing a hard-to-reach spot later, but without worrying too much if I get some paint where it's not supposed to be.  This method also helps me to visualize and plan out my colors better.

I was instructed to paint her with blue skin, black hair, and dark clothing. I started with the skin. I based with Rich Indigo and plan on working up towards Surf Aqua.  I'm hoping this transition from a more purple-hue in the shadows to a bit of green in the highlight will look interesting, as well as kind of capture the overall color scheme.

I chose a few other colors to sort of represent that scheme and stippled them over the base - Rich Indigo, Deep Ocean, and Carnival Purple. I eventually want the base to look like rocky terrain, but wanted to avoid neutral greys.

Pure Black for the hair and then set about base coating the rest of the mini.

I wanted to avoid all-black or shades of grey in her outfit so dark greens and purples will be used to keep things more colorful. The tattered robes got a mix of Pure Black and Deep Ocean. The fabric wraps are Dark Elf Shadow - hoping to keep the purpleish greys.

I also slapped some Deep Ocean on the gemstone on her staff for a pop of color - will reuse this for other gemstone details.

The base got washed in Pure Black - will play around with some drybrushing later. Metal details also got hit with pure black to work up to some NMM silver.

Settled on Ashen Brown for the bone details. The slightly cooler purple hue should help the bones blend in with the rest of the mini.
      Also hoping to use the Ashen Brown to highlight the hair without it looking grey.

Not much to see so far - just some quick basecoating before work this morning. Hoping she turns out as I'm picturing and not just a garish blob.

Side note - this sculpt is one of those earlier Bones sculpts that are quite difficult to pick out details.  I'm inevitably going to paint over some random blob and not notice until later.
    • By Pancakeonions
      Got my Reaper Bones V goodies a bit ago, and slapped some paints onto the Pumkinhead beholder.  I used Citadel Wraithbone primer, contrast paints, and Army Painter Matte varnish and...  months later it remains slightly tacky.  It's not...  awful.  But it's enough that if I put it away in a box with other minis, I'm afraid it won't mix well.  I've left it out in the sun for a day, thinking that might 'bake' the stickiness out of it...  It did not.  

I got Reaper Bones because I figured I could paint, varnish and throw into a box with all my prepainted minis.  Some of my older bones remain slightly tacky too.  But I figured that with this new round of Reaper Bones, they would have got that figured out.  I've painted up the undead giant, but not yet varnished him and I'm afraid to!

I've read the various Reaper Bones help threads, many of which are very old (and one sent me to Facebook, though it looks like it's no longer available.  I don't do social media anymore, so not sure?). 

Does anyone have any advice to help a guy out?  I'm pretty sure I shook my rattlecan varnish adequately.  I do live in western San Francisco and wonder if the humidity (fog, it's often cool and misty regardless of the season) may affect this.  I try to wait until the weather is clear.

What are you doing to keep your Bones stickiness-free?  Any advice you might have would be helpful.
    • By KruleBear
      This one has been on the desk for awhile to receive paint as there was extra on the palette. I decided to finish him off last night. Added highlights to the cloak and skulls. Shaded everything, but the cloak with Army Painter Dark Tone. I didn’t add any highlights or shading beyond the basics as it isn’t a great cast. But, I think it turned out great for the toy box. 

• Who's Online   9 Members, 2 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)