Got 2 of this action figure and am working on bases for them. I want to have them on 3" bases, but that's kinda tricky since the toy has a wide stance to rival that old Grenadier frost giant. So the first one will be on an angle. Some styrofoam rocks and sand for the lava.

I didn't get pics of all the steps but it's the  "Hot Lava Bases" method by Mark Craggs 'Klute' on CMoN.

post-12161-0-40932500-1408690195_thumb.jpg

post-12161-0-01044000-1408690196_thumb.jpg

post-12161-0-78543200-1408690194_thumb.jpg

post-12161-0-94969000-1408690193_thumb.jpg

While I like most of the paint enough to leave it Factory, I tore the head off the fig and will try to make the beard look fiery.

Second one will be on a level, but more elevated base.

Edited by scorpio616
  • Like 5

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By TheOldGuard
      Grrrrrrrrr..............

Did you hear that?

Hear what?

Grrrrrrrrrr.........

That, I just heard it again. Didn't you?

No, I didn't hear a th.. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....... Wait, yes I think I did.

Grrrrrrrrr.........

Grrrrrrrr..... Grrrrrrrrr.......Grrrrrrrr............

Er, has any one got any rations left?.....

Grrrrrrrrrrrr...............

Theres a good boy, sit, siiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...............

• By SparrowMarie
      I've never successfully done lava so I'm attempting it again. Hopefully this little guy will be lava-riffic.

Started with a base coat of Clear Yellow, unthinned.

• By Pochi
      I painted this lady for the Reaper facebook contest and also for my Dungeons and Dragons campaign. She is going to be a demigoddess named Vahanna. I have plans for her!

I painted each scale on her skirt and cloak individually. Nuts! I like how it turned out. The hair sculpt felt a little unfinished to me. The rest of her is beautiful. Her back and her..derriere are nicely sculpted and then covered up with the cloak. Oh well. She is a cool mini and I thought she had a pretty yet stern and serious face.

I included a picture of her with the Frost Giant Queen. They are my Fire & Ice ladies!

• By AutumnHare
      Way back in May, I finished a Lava/Magma elemental that I teased as being a practice piece for something larger. It’s been longer than planned, but I’ve completed him, and I’m 99% happy with the results. 

I introduce the fearsome Marty the Lava Dragon. 

And one last one with his little buddy for comparison. There are definite differences in how the lava effect played out on the sculpts. I like them both for what they are. 

Colors used:
      P3 Heartfire, Magma Red, Walnut Brown, and P3 Coal Black (barely there in the very blackest areas).

Technically, I also used Pure White as a base coat and later a couple times when I messed it up badly enough that I had to start over. 
  • Who's Online   19 Members, 2 Anonymous, 46 Guests (See full list)