Lexomatic's 4 minis WIP: Orc Berserker 77059, Tiik Warrior 77186, Michelle Ranger 77022, Small Ferocious Feline P02198B

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I did some work on the tiik today. Looks quite further along

post-12970-0-77241000-1420933230.pngpost-12970-0-39297300-1420933252.pngpost-12970-0-95565700-1420933287.png

I'm happier with the blending on the limbs than the upper body (clear magenta > clear purple > clear blue), and I'm not sure about how I feel about the scale highlighting (pearl white with ashen blue, and pearl white with vgc warlord purple and pale flesh).

This guy was mostly about experimenting and learning, so while I have a few things I intend to try to finish up tomorrow morning (OSL?), he's getting cleared off the desk soon.

The good news is I did this with my drybrush brush (wasn't paying attention and didn't bother changing) and I didn't horribly destroy it with stray globs of paint.

The even better news is that I found my old LTPK instructions that had been moved. Score!

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 13

I may have painted as much today as I have in the last 4 months combined!
I also worked on the orc berserker, and his muscles be poppin'.
I feel like one lost the mid tone and I'm not sure what I can do to go darker on the skin - last coat was 2 olive shadow:1 xmas wreath:1 blood red. Suggestions? I have ltpk paints + a few extras.

I still need to do highlights too. then the metal and finally the clothing.

edited because doing stuff from the phone is a pain.

Because I'm feeling proud here's 4 pics

post-12970-0-98394100-1420943582.pngpost-12970-0-27292000-1420943649.png

post-12970-0-28901100-1420943666.pngpost-12970-0-37355300-1420943686.png

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 13

Thanks, DF.

In terms of darker, do you mean more glazes of the same or the darkest point of those areas need to be darker?

I'm a little unsure how to go darker work the last mix I used which was olive shadow:blood red: xmas wreath. Should I throw in a drop of a dark brown? More red? Replace the red with a Burgundy wine? Something else?

I mean that you need to raise the contrast in those areas by looking at it from a zenithal perspective and darkening those areas that would be darkest. Ive pinpointed the areas i can see that need darker shadows put in. Do not necesarily just darken everything in those areas, I circled them in paint in like 5 secs.

Red or a dark red brown mixed with your green is a perfect shadow.

• Like 2

you could use a blue to shade the green- something like midnight blue or deep twighlight, although deep twilight looks more purple.  hmmn.  I think I used marine teal to shade the green when I did these orcs.  But it will change the feel and make it cooler.  If you want the warmer look, go with the red or brown like Dontfear said.

• Like 2

So I've been doing stuff, but haven't been posting because I haven't had a lot of time to transfer photos over. I have a week off, so I'll be painting AND taking photos.

I'm pretty much done with the Tiik - I tried some light OSL, and while I don't think I did a good job, I think I have a much better idea going forward. I also have a MUCH better grasp of what I want to do with glazing now. Photos later today. and later this week I'll hopefully be posting a bunch of really good photos in show off

I did a tiny bit of work on the metal for the Orc. I wanted the hint of metallic under the glazing going forward. There's nothing visible in the photos there. I intend ot wait until I've hit some of the skin areas identified by DF above before I take any more photos there.

I also started a faceless horror, which will get its own thread soon.

I found my redcaps, to work on the one I started... also to have updates in its own thread.

Eagerly anticipating Bones II, but I don't think the package will be arriving for me to take advantage of time off.

• Like 1

The faceless horror got done without me posting any pictures. I'll have to see about retroactive WIP. That and the Tiik should go off to show-off this weekend when I can set up photo stuff.

I tried working on the skin and went just that step too far. I'm gong to try glazing back my mid-tone and seeing where that leaves me. I ended up with too abrupt a transition with highlights and shadows and it looked weird.

Also I think my yellow/ghost white combo works better than maggot white as a lightener. The maggot white was too much and I didn't thin it enough. argh.

Hopefully I can fix it. It's not ruined, just not looking as good.