• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are only TWO painted examples out there that I could find, and of the two, one of them had heavy OSL going on (the professional paint job on Reaper's store page/Inspiration Gallery). Which, while it looked awesome...really didn't help in picking out details.  <_< I know I've seen a third one before in someone's WIP thread, but several forum searches didn't turn him up. Which I guess means that there's something to be said for including the number of the model in one's WIP/Show off somewhere. Because searching for Male, High, or Wizard by themselves would have been less than helpful.  -_-

~~~~

Okay! So, the robe! I laid down a nice cover of Mossy Green, making sure to get nice solid coverage (the fact that it's an HD paint really helped). However, as I was painting, I kept noticing an odd area on his left shoulder, where the little critter is sitting. It almost looked like a shoulder pad, but the shape was wrong. I kept puzzling over it as I worked my way around the figure, until finally I decided to go look up any other paint jobs I could find to see what they made of it. 

I found a whopping TWO:down:

This one, the one displayed in the Reaper store, and

This one, in Reaper forumite pinkymadigan's WIP thread.

(Apropos of nothing, when I did a Google search for the figure just now, the second hit that came up was to this, my WIP thread.  :blink: Freaky.)

Anyways, after staring at both examples for awhile, particularly Pinky's, I realized that wait, that's part of a...he's wearing a cloak over his robe!

Well, okay then.

I still wanted him to be all dark greens, so I picked through my colors again and pulled out the Moss triad (Jungle Moss, Highland Moss, Pale Lichen). I basecoated the robe in Jungle Moss, leaving just the cloak as the Mossy Green. Unfortunately, the color difference wasn't as great as I thought it would be, and it's nigh indistinguishable in the photos.

post-11389-0-70826800-1409019956.jpg

post-11389-0-05925200-1409019966.jpg

Sigh. Well, maybe with the highlighting and shading and whatnot it will distinguish them from each other a lot (spoiler alert: it did, sorta, but not as much as I would have liked).

I decided to start working the highlighting/shading on the robe first, since I had this nice triad here, so first I washed Red Shadow into all the crevices and wrinkles I could find, followed by subsequently smaller layers of 1:1 Jungle Moss:Highland Moss, Highland Moss, 1:1 Highland Moss:Pale Lichen, Pale Lichen over the raised bits. Because I really don't have a good idea where highlights are supposed to go in zenithal lighting. So I just sorta went with what felt right.

post-11389-0-57031700-1409021048.jpg

post-11389-0-59945300-1409021056.jpg

post-11389-0-52096300-1409021073.jpg

Some of the areas were a lot easier to figure out than others, like the folds at the bottom of the robe in front, and his sleeves. His right leg, though, well, um...

post-11389-0-27677200-1409021094.jpg

Okay yeah I have no idea how to highlight properly over a large smooth area.  :mellow: I'm sure more intermediate colors between the layers would have helped, but I was a little crunched for time. The robe is the one area that I wish I'd gone back and done more on, though; it's what I'm the least happy with.

The cloak, though...I'm super duper happy with how the cloak turned out! But you'll have to wait for the next post to see why.  :devil:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 15

Thank you for your encouragement, everyone! It means a lot to me, since I don't know any local painters, and Mr. Boot, while supportive, usually doesn't say much more than "That looks nice!" :) I didn't realize how much I'd missed painting until I put brush to mini again.  ^_^

I love your work on that wizard; great job!

Kuro!!  :bday: I almost didn't recognize you without your hat, lol. Thank you very much! You are among my most admired painters, so kudos from you means a great deal to me. :)

One question, how did you get a wash to stick so well?

Very thorough scrubbing with an old toothbrush and a drop of dishwashing soap, followed by thorough rinsing accompanied by more scrubbing with the brush to ensure that any soap residue is gone. It sounds like more work than it actually is, and in my opinion the bother is well worth it. All the fiddly details just magically appear with the wash, whereas some things were getting hidden when I just slathered straight Brown Liner all over everything. :)

EDIT: I should add that I don't thin the Brown Liner to full wash consistency. I add 1 drop of Brown Liner to 3 drops water (I have an empty dropper bottle that I filled with distilled water). The liner has a different enough makeup from regular paint that I haven't found a need to add any sort of wash mix to it.

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 4

Right, then! On to the cloak. Tally-ho!

I wish I had more in-between pictures of the cloak, but I was deep in The Painting Zone (which is sort of like the Twilight Zone, except not really). After not being 100% happy with the highlighting on the robe, I decided to go for broke on the cloak and highlight nearly up to white. Y'know, just to see if this whole "higher highlights" thing had any merit (given that so many painters better than I have recommended it, I already knew it did, I just hadn't tried it myself yet :) ).

As mentioned previously, it already had a few coats of Mossy Green on it. I then washed Red Shadow into the wrinkles and folds a few times to get them nice and dark, and then began the highlighting!

For the lowest highlight, I used 3:1 Mossy Green:Linen White. I used Linen White instead of Pure White because I've found that lightening greens with something yellowish just seems to work better. I also applied it differently from how I'd done the robe. Rather than a solid block of color, I sort of feathered it on, using short vertical strokes (going with the length of the robe and the direction of the folds).

Next was 2:2 Mossy Green:Linen White. I realize I could have just used 1 drop of each instead of two, but my brain seemed determined to work in groups of 4 at the time, lol. The contrast between this layer and the previous layer was a bit more stark than I liked, and that's when I remembered that glazes are a thing. So I thinned down a bit of Mossy Green and did a couple of nice thin glazes over the whole cloak (avoiding the shadows), which really served to tie everything together nicely without significantly diminishing the brightness of the highlighting.

Last was a few carefully placed bits of 1:3 Mossy Green:Linen White. This was the hardest one of all, since because it was so bright, it immediately drew my eye right to those spots, so I ended up having to "erase" a few areas and reapply it. The upper back turned out decently, but I'm most happy with the bottom of it.

SHAZAAAM!

post-11389-0-80336600-1409110870.jpg

post-11389-0-01751700-1409110890.jpg

post-11389-0-06762600-1409110900.jpg

I will fully admit to happily squealing when I held the figure at arm's length and saw it as a cohesive whole. It turned out far beyond what I had been expecting! I love highlighting!! Whee!  :bday:

After staring at it happily for a bit (or possibly just zoning out, I was quite tired by this point, lol), I decided to do the book he was holding next, since it was the next thing moving "outwards" from the figure himself. I'll do a new post for that, though, since I did a lot of stuff between this point and when I next took a picture.

Huzzah!

• Like 7

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Maledrakh
      From the first Bones kickstarter:

I am diving into some more of the white-undercoated Bones 1 models that are cluttering up my Drawers of Doom, models that for some reason or other have been stuck in limbo never to get to painted-heaven. These Bones are mainly painted with Contrast Paints for speed.

This is 77119 Sinessa, Hellborn Sorceress.

It was part of the "Bedevilled" subset of the Bones 1 Core set.

Sculpted by Bob Ridolfi. 25mm base.

The Skin is Flesh Tearers Red Contrast with a careful drybrush of thinned Citadel Wazdakka Red Layer on. The Gold is Vallejo Necro Gold and old Chestnut Ink.
    • By Maledrakh
      I am diving into some more of the white-undercoated Bones 1 models that are cluttering up my Drawers of Doom, models that for some reason or other have been stuck in limbo never to get to painted-heaven.
      This was painted mainly with the so-called "one and done" method; a single coat of Citadel Contrast paints on a white undercoat, apart from a few details in regular paint, such as the sword and belt buckle done in metals and the whites of the eyeballs. Some black used for blacklining around some of the edges and Vallejo Sand Yellow for the hair.
      The rim of the base needs a second coat of black.

77164 Elliwyn Heatherlark, Gnome Bard.

Sculpted by Derek Schubert. 25mm base.

It was part of the "Half Sized Heroes" subset of the Bones 1 Core set.

• By Maledrakh
      From Bones 1, Nor'Okk the Ettin

...maybe I should get me a turntable and start making 360 videos instead...

50mm base

77103 Nor'Okk the Ettin
      Reaper Miniatures 2012
      from the Bones 1 kickstarter, "Mind Your Manors" add-on
      Sculpted by Tre Manor
      Bones classic (The orginial soft bendy material)
      50mm base

• By Maledrakh
      As a part of trying to incorporate contrast paints into my repertoire, I started by using contrasts mainly as another type of wash over zenithal grey on black undercoats. Which is good and well. However, I realised that I myself actally never have used them as advertised, globbed onto white or cream undercoats. Looking at pictures and videos of other people painting is fine, but really not a replacement for doing something yourself. After all, there is usually a great gap between theory and practice in most things.
      So I broke open the drawer full of old Bones 1 pc-type minis. These are some of the very few minis I have that are undercoated all in white. I don't even remember why. Maybe I was all out of  black primer spray or something. However, I was reminded why the old Bones 1 pc-type minis were consigned to the Drawers of Oblivion™ in the first place. Bendy. Soft. Shallow details. Faces without noses. Hands without fingers. Weapons made for poking around corners...
      Them old Bones are a quite different beast than the newer Bones. Which are still not pefect, but certainly miles better than alot of the old stuff.
      So I pulled one out more or less at random. I thought what I pulled was some sort of lady druid. Turned out she was a "Dark Elf Wizard". Right right.
      The stark white of the plastic and subsequent primer made the mini very difficult to read. Details? What details?
      At any rate, it was the first to get the prescribed Contrast treatment. No thinning, no nonsense. One coat, straight onto white undercoat.

Which I rapidly found out was a bit of a utopian dream. Mr Shakyhands wanted it otherwise. I spent more time trying to correct overpaints than anything else. In the end (what, maybe all of 10 minutes) I gave up the fiddlywork and adopted a more laissez faire attitude to this.
      I am thinking if I do any more of these, which I most likely will just to get the feel of the different paints, I will be going for speed and single coats for starters. Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead! Let 'er rip! These minis would not get painted any other way, so whatevah!
      I mean, it went so fast I don't even remember quite which colours I used here. Was it gulliman or darkoath flesh? Was is snakebite or gore-grunta fur? Camo or militarum on the hair? I know it was Templar Black on the leggings, and Iyanden Yellow on the staff. The rest eludes me. This was a fast paint job.
      I did some details with regular paint, such as the eyes , the knees and the knife. The rest is constrast on white.

I did however learn once and for all, that contrast is shiny. She looks positively wet in this picture. On the other hand, one of the problems I have earler had with this type of older Bones is that the detail is soft and shallow, and easily gets obscured by regular paint. Especially when using unthinned paint and several coats for coverage. The contrast does away with all that sort of thing as it is so thin, and actually brings out details I for one have not seen before. (Just like a wash, fancy that!)

So this mini looks perfectly fine considering the amount of effort that did not go into it. Also it shows that contrast paints can work on thinner, shallower minis than the GW chubbies they usually are shown on.

The Prophet of the New Path vs The Defender of the Old Faith. Who will win? Or will their lovemakingup beget a Genesis-like bastard with the power of the Word?

77121 Liela, Dark Elf Wizard
      Bones 1 Core set, 2012, Dark Elf subset
      Reaper Miniatures
      Sculpted by Werner Klocke
      Made in Bonesium PVC
      30mm base.
      available from reapermini.com both in Bones and in Metal. The metal one is way more detailed.
    • By OneBoot
      *blows a thick layer of dust off of her tiny corner of the WIP section*

*sneezes violently*

Wow, it's been...way too long since I last posted a project here! 

So, this is an idea I've had bouncing around in my head since Argent was announced, and I've finally gotten around to putting it into action. This is just for fun, and unless it turns out unexpectedly amazing, I don't plan to enter him at ReaperCon, which makes him just right for easing me back into regular painting!

My original idea was this: I discovered a paint pen that holds the EPITOME OF SHINY CHROME DELICIOUSNESS (search for Molotow Liquid Chrome Marker if you too want to revel in the glorious shiny) (also a shoutout to @LordDave for introducing me to this loveliness!). I already HAVE a shiny metallic dragon in my Ma'al drakar, and I couldn't have two all-metallic gigantic dragons in one household. It would just lead to bickering and drama about who's the favorite and oh-she-smudged-my-scales oh-no-I-didn't-he-started-it and honestly who even needs that? SO I wanted to experiment with painting Argent up using regular paints, then using the paint pen just on select scales and edges as a highlight.

In my head it looks FREAKING AWESOME.  Buuuut since there's a lot of unknowns about this pen and how well reality will conform to my vision...

First up, I tried my original plan of regular paint with chrome on the edges of stuff. I slopped these paints:

onto part of a spare Bones Battleguard Golem, since these are some of the colors I'm planning to use on Argent (haven't fully settled on my color scheme for him, but that'll come later). I forgot to take pictures of that part, so you'll just have to use your imagination!

Next, I used the chrome pen to try a few things; outlining armor segments, dot highlights, thicker vs. thinner lines, etc. And...none of them actually looked all that good. The chrome is just so very distractingly shiny compared to the matte paint that it just looks...bad.  But that's okay! This is what doing science is all about: trying lots of things and seeing what works! (Also known as "throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks" but I thought that might get kind of messy in this context)

So, next I tried chroming an entire shoulder section and glazing some of the Clear Phthalo Blue over the top.

(sorry for the blurry pictures, I may have been quivering from excitement )
      (also ignore the random bits of gold, those are from a previous unrelated experiment)

This looked...much more promising! Huzzah!

Which brings me both to the next phase of testing, and my next post because this one has gotten long enough!

Huzzah!