Sign in to follow this  
Jasonator

Standing Emperor Lucius by Jasonator

Having finished the disco Torch Goblins; I dug out the Emperor Lucius by Tom Meier.

This is the Standing version, then I will do him on horse.

Shield is very complex, as is that crown, and scabbard, with the pattern cloak and surcoat

over the armor.  That chain mail isn't much of an issue, but the rest of it is.

Black Shield golden eagle, or do I go Deutch, Green Shield, Black Eagle, or Gold shield Black Eagle.

Decisions decisions.  I'm thinking white and gold trimmed surcoat, maybe Emerald Green cloak with Gold on

Trim, to match the surcoat..

Anywho.. here are two photos of what he looks like on his binder clip !

post-12655-0-74621400-1409090159_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-43866800-1409090160_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

My Major issue with this Sculpt is:.

I look at this piece of magnificence, and immediately notice the depth of the sculpting.

Shadows, and highlights are a MAJOR aspect of this miniature.

The way this piece is done requires deft brush handling, and a heck of a lot of prep work.

I need to line (add ink) to this puppy with extreme care.

The crown requires deep darks, with rich colors, and metal.

The armor requires dark dark base, and then dry brush on the highlights.

One inch tall, and the shield and Eagle are a major component.

If you haven't noticed.. "I'M Scared"!

This is NO walk in the park adventure !

We will get it done though. !

• Like 2

You are at the point in your painting that a challenge is a good thing Jay. It keeps you honest and helps you hone all of your skills. I believe this will be your best to date and you'll look back at all you learned by painting him up.

• Like 4

You are at the point in your painting that a challenge is a good thing Jay. It keeps you honest and helps you hone all of your skills. I believe this will be your best to date and you'll look back at all you learned by painting him up.

This is the best darned advice I have seen on a painting forum. I see alot of painters paint "safe" models and sculpts that they know they can ace and post the results.

Trepidation is healthy. Caution is helpful. Just take your time and don't rush between steps and layers. I love your white and gold idea for the cloak, but gold and green work well too as a whole scheme (gold being close to yellow). And personally, black shield with gold eagle is how I would go. That would really pop.

Best of luck, and I wanna see the steps!

• Like 2

It has been quite some time since I resurected my usage of two different washes on a miniature based on my color choices.

I have used a black wash on the armor, since I intend to use a gunmetal for that chain mail.

I will let it dry around the crown and then add a touch of red wash to help the gold that will go on last.

I have to gem up that coronet also, so I need that black right now.

I have washed the eagle and shield with red wash to show me what I am painting, and to help the gold,

after I paint the shield black.

I have opted for a green cloak, gold trim,so the red in the folds will give me a nice dark shadow when I start the green,

and the red will help the gold.

The Surcoat will be a cream color, with gold trim.

I better get out the better brushes for this one..I need some sharp points !

Here are three photos.

post-12655-0-09161500-1409157861_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-74659300-1409157861_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-39290900-1409157862_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Jay is in the midst of a happy Dance.

I sat down for fifteen minutes, 000 brush, black ink, and Lucius.

Shield had to be painted black, before I can put on the Gold.

First step, cold feet, and Nerves of steal to get in between that Bird.

TADA....

Remember..this dude is 25mm !

post-12655-0-14863200-1409162167_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Making me want to paint up the Thunderbolt figures I have now too! Just can't do it until I have these other time-sensitive projects off my desk and am able to paint other little fun things.

• Like 1

Making me want to paint up the Thunderbolt figures I have now too! Just can't do it until I have these other time-sensitive projects off my desk and am able to paint other little fun things.

Just washed out the wet palette, soaked the sponge, and let the paper sit in boiling water for half an hour !

Now I just have to set the time to paint happily away on Lucius.

I am really looking forward to all that gold trim, but thats last on the list of to do's.

You have a lot on your plate ub3r, so get those projects done, before the next wave of miniatures flows in...shiver !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Just washed out the wet palette, soaked the sponge, and let the paper sit in boiling water for half an hour !

Now I just have to set the time to paint happily away on Lucius.

I am really looking forward to all that gold trim, but thats last on the list of to do's.

You have a lot on your plate ub3r, so get those projects done, before the next wave of miniatures flows in...shiver !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey I only have 20 miniatures to paint, I only have 20 coming in, and I'll only have 20 to paint after it's all said and done!  :poke:

• Like 1

Uh Ub3r;

Wasn't your nose shorter a few minutes ago ???

:rock:

Goblin math my Black Cowled friend, Goblin math...  :;):

• Like 1

Decided that I simply couldn't leave that shield in an uncompleted state.

Black was done, red undercoat was on, it only needed some breath control, a steady hand (fat chance), and some gold paint, and lots and lots of patience.

Guess what.. Miracles do happen !

Here is the Emperor's Shield, with the Imperial Eagle. !!!

I used an LED Flashlight to highlight the shield.

Looks much better than original photo.

post-12655-0-24722500-1409181063_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 4

This is the best darned advice I have seen on a painting forum. I see alot of painters paint "safe" models and sculpts that they know they can ace and post the results.

Trepidation is healthy. Caution is helpful. Just take your time and don't rush between steps and layers. I love your white and gold idea for the cloak, but gold and green work well too as a whole scheme (gold being close to yellow). And personally, black shield with gold eagle is how I would go. That would really pop.

Best of luck, and I wanna see the steps!

Thank You for your input, your enthusiasm, and taking the time and effort to respond.

I get very frustrated when I see that 180 folks have looked at my post, and only seven have responded.

Ub3r is a magnificent facilitator of those of us that are new.  He waves the pom poms, and gives great supportive advice.

His posts are always supportive, and helpful.  I'm very indebted to his kindness and his helpful sharing.

Thank you for the black shield and gold Eagle endorsement .. I think it looks smashing !

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 2