Speechless. The scene works beautifully, even if the character on the air's cape does make it seem she is flying backwards, which is contrary to what I would assume from the aggresive, kicking forwards stance...

• Like 1

Nice clean OSL work!  The scene suffers a little from a lack of focus though.  It feels like a technical exercise rather than a story.  Although I really like that the characters engaged in the duel are interacting with each other.  so often you see a scene like this and its just two models standing on the same base.  It is nice to see them doing something.  I think with a little sculpting work it could have made the scene more compelling.  have him grabbing her ankle or look like he is swinging his sword at her or even have one of them striking a blow.  Add drama or some subtle color to draw the eye to a particular spot.  It just lacks that little extra something.  I'm with Willen too, her cape just doesn't work. 

Well deserved recognition on a very well executed piece.  Really good job.

• Like 2

Beautiful color balance...and well played highlighting.

Really Great Painting, thanks for sharing this.

Wow, the OSL is fantastic. The cloak does make for odd story-telling, as Willen pointed out. Maybe the Jedi kicked, and is now being force pushed backwards?

• Like 3

You're SURE that's all paint? You didn't wire up some tiny LEDs in those lightsabers? Very impressive work! I read the green-sabered Jedi as being Force Pushed away by the Sith.

I want to ask for technique tutorials, but the whole piece is so well put-together and so far above my level that I don't even know where to start!

• Like 1

I'd also like to point out these are the best painted lightsabers I've ever seen.

Yeah, some people really DO master painting with actual light, it seems.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By GodOfCheese
      I'm painting a mini with a light source, and decided to rebase the beastie with some water effects, probably epoxy resin.  I'll probably try to make the water at least slightly rough, creating interest for the eye.  I woke up in a cold sweat this morning realizing that the light source should be reflected (or possibly just highlighted) in/on the water. 

My initial thought was to:
      lightly (heh) color the bottom of the pool as if it were dry and lit by the light source pour and texture the water highlight the water by drybrushing from the light source out.  
      My concern about this is that if the viewer looks toward the light, the surfaces of any wavelets will be highlighted on the opposite side from the POV.  In other words, the viewer will see the undersides or backsides of any highlights through the translucent wavelets, and this might not look the way the viewer expects.

Has anyone done this?  I looked around for a few examples but although there are plenty of doing wave effects (froth and foam), I haven't found any yet that look like translucent glare.  
    • By Metalchaos
      Hi everyone, here are some group picture of my Player Character and a NPC in our D&D games. All Reaper Miniatures models; 03492, Autumn Bronzeleaf Elf Wizard sculpted by Jeff Grace. Converted 77038, Hell Hound sculpted by Ben Siens. 02771, Lorus Hightower sculpted by Sandra Garrity. The elf wizard is one of my player characters, she's a wood elf druidess and I called her Kiarah Amanodel aka Moonflower. Her riding dog Khan was converted from a Hell Hound. And, Firecracker will be an important non-playing character in an opcoming campaign.

I hope you enjoy, comments and critiques are welcome.

• By Metalchaos
      Good Friday everyone. Here is 03492, Autumn Bronzeleaf Elf Wizard Sculpted by Jeff Grace. She's certainly one of the most challenging model I ever paint. The level of detail on this mini is just insane. Enjoy and have a great weekend.

• By Stonebred
      Here's a rabbit I'm working on. I still have a ways to go, but he's starting to take shape. 
      Feedback is always welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for taking a look!

• By Cyradis
      The pictures suck but eh, whatever. I'll see about getting better ones when it is done.

This is a "sorry I was a dick to your character" figure because I'm about to be a dick to this player's character. But I'm running a necromancy campaign and he's a priest of death who is scared of dying, and the villains are known to kidnap people who might be useful... too tempting of a backstory to mess with and the player is cool with character deaths. Heh. 

Anyway. Aside from that the character is Super Magicky and has an Aussie magpie as a familiar (making the bird a PITA to paint). 

The figure is the Stephanie Law Male Mage by Dark Sword, and the crow on a rock from the kickstarter. I clipped the staff off the mage, and glued the hand into place facing downward. After removing the bird from the rock, I attached it with much frustration, glue, and greenstuff. I also yanked it off the base and put it on this one from either MicroArtStudio or Secret Weapon (forgot which). 

The character wears black and gray and red and has black hair. And a black and white bird. Great. And he's pale. 

OSL: magic on ground from below - red. Magic in hand - teal. Moonlight from above - white with wee bit of blue. 

Almost done, not quite. Don't tell my IRL friends! No spoilers!

• Who's Online   47 Members, 2 Anonymous, 278 Guests (See full list)