I've seen several posts on this, but I am having a lot of problems with reaper paints cracking over the last 6 months. I have a collection of seven paints that have cracked.

The most recent one just cracked today. 09245 Basic Dirt.

P1030379_zps0e42b9de.jpg

P1030378_zpsbef8209b.jpg

I hope you can see from the pictures the cracks that are happening over the miniature.

The mini was primed several weeks ago with reaper primer. (as all my miniatures with the cracking issue) And each of the seven paints that have cracked have done so with a straight coat out of the bottle. No thinning. Just a light brush over for base coat and then a second coat after the first has dried to fill in any missed areas. But still the paint is cracking.

Also my first painted cracked in May, and the new one cracked today. So temperature and humidity I can't see being the factor. Because they have cracked in cool weather, room temperature and a warm day.

I've tried thinning with water to stop the cracking. I've tried mixing the colour with another. I've even tried using reaper flow improver and anti-shine additive.

But nothing is working. Are these paints just separating finally after owning them for 4 years?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few things might be contributing to it:

1) Preparation - Make sure to wash all of your figures with warm soapy water, I use a toothbrush I bought specifically for this to scrub and get to every nook and cranny, this will make sure that the mold release agent is removed. Then make sure that it's rinsed off really well.

2) Primer - Sounds like you are already doing this, so the paint should be adhering well.

3) Paint - I use multiple thin coats of paint after shaking the bottles to make sure that they are properly mixed and the pigment is even.

4) Sealing - Highly recommend you add this step as I don't see that in your post above. Some people use the brush-on sealer from Reaper, which straight out of the bottle is semi-gloss, but with a few drops of water becomes much more matte. I personally use Testors Dullcote aerosol spray on my figures on a dry day (which so happens to be nearly every day where I live) and spray them from about 8 inches away with a quick side to side motion on each side of the figure. This seals the paint and prevents cracking, flaking, and rubbing off if handled.

• Like 2

I forgot to point out that this cracking was my base coat. And it cracked within 10 mins of drying. As in I applied my first coat. Waited for it to be dry before going back to do any touch ups and start shading or highlighting. Then I notice the cracking right away.

Its not the case of the miniature being finished and then 1 week to 1 month later noticing the paint cracking.

It happens as soon as it is dry on the figure.

My thoughts go to preparation if it's going on with multiple paint colors on multiple figures, if it's just THAT one color you showed us above and not any other paints, then I'd contact Reaper about a replacement bottle of paint as it may have just been a bad batch as TaleSpinner says. 

Also, how thin are your coats?  I've only seen Reaper paint crack when the coat is applied heavily (thickly).  Even then, it's rare.

Are the minis from Super Dungeon Explore?  If so, I've had zero problems with Reaper MSP over Reaper MSP Brush On Primer.  I did wash the minis before priming and waited 24 hours between the prime and paint coats.

Ron

The mini in question is from Super Dungeon Explore.

I'm using reaper primier on the mini. In this case the mini had been primed for nearly a month before I got to touch it. I have always used reaper primer.

And it has been seven bottles of different paint cracking since I first noticed in May. Each paint bottle cracked on different miniatures.

I have applied a coat of paint without thinning straight from the bottle. I have tried thinning with water. I have used flow improver in the paint. I have mixed a colour that hasn't cracked with one that has and even thinned that with water. But still I get cracked paint.

If I use a different colour in the same area where the cracked paint was applied, the new colour does not crack.

If I use the cracked colour in a different location/different miniature, it cracks.

I have no problem painting with Volcano brown on the same figure today, but the Basic Dirt cracked on two separate figures.

I'm just wondering if there is no way to save these paints or if I need to get replacements. As I said, so far I have seven bottles that have cracked. And the paints are 4 years old and barely used. I have other paints that are near 10 years old and have no cracked like this.

I might have to go through all my reaper paints to see if they are starting to crack.

Edited by Solauren

That many different bottles of paint cracking on that many different miniatures leads me to believe that:

a) you aren't washing the figures good enough initially to get rid of any release agents that might be on them, and/or

b) you aren't shaking the bottles up good enough. Reaper MSP generally take 15-30 seconds of shaking to get them mixed up nice and good, other brands take much longer to get that pigment mixed throughout. 

Reaper MSP is actually formulated to use straight out of the bottles, but a lot of us will thin with water and/or flow improver (just personal preferences dictate this).

There are a number of reasons paint can crack.

The commonest is insufficiently dry or otherwise faulty priming.

If multiple colors are cracking, I would check the priming first to see if it's a bad batch. Are all the cracking colors painted on miniatures with the same batch of priming?

If not, it is possible -- not guaranteed -- that the cracking is caused by the second-commonest problem, too much pigment and too little medium.

Have you been, I don't know, storing your paints oddly positioned? Or not shaking them thoroughly before use? It could be an off batch, but it could also be incompletely mixed in the bottle.

The best cure for too little medium is a drop of acrylic medium. Thinning with water won't cure this problem, nor will adding flow improver. Reaper sealer is a kind of acrylic medium, I believe.

Maybe try a drop or so of acrylic medium mixed in with your problem colors and see if that helps.

EDIT: Another possibility is that the figures somehow got something oily on them in the month between priming and painting.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 3

I would say, if it's several paints, several figures, and a good priming...

It might be all of your paints? Have they gotten too hot/cold, or something? Maybe in transit? But if you had something happen to them in a group, say they all got too hot or spent a day in the sun, you might've turned them.... maybe pick up a new bottle of paint from reaper, and give it a go? That'll tell you - if that paint works great, it might be something that happened on your end to your collection...

I've washed and reapplied primer on a SDE and Bones mini. I've shaken the paint bottles for at least a minute. And then I've applied a light brush straight out of the bottle and then on a separate area a thicker layer of paint.

So far I'm seeing very little cracking. Except for in the really thick areas of paint.

I think the suggestion of a few lighter base coats instead of in one or two might help with these cracking paints.

I'm going to keep experimenting as I have hope! Thanks for all the suggestions.

Edited by Solauren

There are a number of reasons paint can crack.

The commonest is insufficiently dry or otherwise faulty priming.

If multiple colors are cracking, I would check the priming first to see if it's a bad batch. Are all the cracking colors painted on miniatures with the same batch of priming?

If not, it is possible -- not guaranteed -- that the cracking is caused by the second-commonest problem, too much pigment and too little medium.

Have you been, I don't know, storing your paints oddly positioned? Or not shaking them thoroughly before use? It could be an off batch, but it could also be incompletely mixed in the bottle.

The best cure for too little medium is a drop of acrylic medium. Thinning with water won't cure this problem, nor will adding flow improver. Reaper sealer is a kind of acrylic medium, I believe.

Maybe try a drop or so of acrylic medium mixed in with your problem colors and see if that helps.

EDIT: Another possibility is that the figures somehow got something oily on them in the month between priming and painting.

I support this course of action. Pingo's a paint savant.

• Like 1

I'm going to go with Adrift. I've used the same bottle of Reaper paint and have managed to crack and not crack a figure with it. Mostly because I was impatient and painted over a layer that wasn't fully dry.

I live somewhere with very low humidity, but on rainy days I will tend to forget to wait longer than normal.