Not sure where this belongs, but I could use some advice on it so here it is. I'm working on this for my pathfinder red dragon that will actually be green ;^). The logs aren't glued down yet and they will have some moss growing and a splash of realistic water on them. It seems like it could use more detail...just don't know what. This is my first attempt at anything like this so I am at a loss. Any suggestions to improve it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!post-13108-0-25042700-1409172170_thumb.jpg

• Like 10
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually like it, maybe a couple of lily pads I'd add, but for the most part it looks really good as it is. You want a base to compliment the figure rather than over power it, so too busy will distract from your figure.

• Like 6

Add some fungus, they love moist areas with lots of decaying organic matter, when I go bushwhacking in rainforests, gullies and other wet areas you almost always find fungus on the side of dead logs.

It will definitely help add the 'something missing' to the base because you can find some very vibrant colours of fungus to contrast the greens and browns. Bright orange tends to be a common one.

• Like 4

Add some fungus, they love moist areas with lots of decaying organic matter, when I go bushwhacking in rainforests, gullies and other wet areas you almost always find fungus on the side of dead logs.

It will definitely help add the 'something missing' to the base because you can find some very vibrant colours of fungus to contrast the greens and browns. Bright orange tends to be a common one.

This.

A couple of mushrooms or shelf fungus on the logs could be a very good add. you can go with fairly bright colours such as oranges and reds  that will draw the eye without overpowering things.  I would also see about a couple more grass tufts. That said, even as is, it is a very good base. 

• Like 2

... when I go bushwhacking in rainforests, gullies and other wet areas...

I'm just glad that:

1. Somebody used bushwhacking in a sentence.

2. Not only did they use it, they actually participate in the activity. In rainforests, no less.

(Hopefully, in the original sense, not in the sense of ambushing someone. Come to think of it, that might be fun, too.)

• Like 5

Fantabulous ideas all of you, Thanks so much. I have a ridiculous amount of old tea and some flowering tea (looks like little sticks) Fungi I can sculpt. I was thinking about how I didn't have sand or sand size anything then I cleaned out my lizards tank...crushed walnut...yes that could work mhaa haa haa. Hmmm a sneaky snake sticking out of the leaf litter, yes I can envision that. I was also thinking of some treasure tucked inside the skull the dragon is standing on for some interest on the backside. Definitely some various bushes/grasses. Lots of great ideas to ponder. I'm having such a blast creating the base I've barley started on the dragon. 

• Like 6

Bruunwald.

First of all, sorry not to quote you, its not working for some reason (maybe browser related)

Secondly, sorry to let you down, but bushwhacking was unfortunately an auto-correct issue.

I actually typed bushwalking which, is probably slightly less cool as we tend to stick to established tracks (though we have gone off the beaten track from time to time for various reasons).

On the upside we still see so much beautiful landscape and wildlife, the rainforests of the Bunya Mountains and the Gold Coast Hinterlands. The dry bush out west. The rocky creeks and balancing stones of the Granite Belt.

I'd definitely be interested in bushwhacking, if it weren't for the fact that there are so many places to go where someone else has done the hard work and we can enjoy the fruits of their labour whilst benefiting from fresh air, exercise and the serenity and sanity that can only come from peaceful natural surrounds.

• Like 1

Wallabies are cool, though. I bet you see wallabies. All we have are squirrels. And raccoons. And mountain lions. And deer. And mountain lions eating the deer.

Back on topic, Rhombus, I probably don't have to tell you, but please remember to wash that lizard-sand. Even the best kept reptiles can be prone to bacteria and parasites. You don't want to be working too closely with that stuff before cleaning it.

Wallabies are cool, though. I bet you see wallabies. All we have are squirrels. And raccoons. And mountain lions. And deer. And mountain lions eating the deer.

Back on topic, Rhombus, I probably don't have to tell you, but please remember to wash that lizard-sand. Even the best kept reptiles can be prone to bacteria and parasites. You don't want to be working too closely with that stuff before cleaning it.

Oh no I will be using the clean stuff right out of the bag.  ::D:

• Like 3