We return to the foul forces of Nurgle to view my Death Guard Dreadnought from Forge World.  Played with matte (corroded, dirty) and gloss(puss and other nastiness) surfaces on this one. No real conversion on this one, just added a couple of Nurglings to the base.

post-7951-0-59885100-1409283518_thumb.jpg

post-7951-0-35914300-1409283523_thumb.jpg

post-7951-0-46750100-1409283533_thumb.jpg

post-7951-0-35153900-1409283536_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Straight up nasty.  Looks great.  Especially since this one looks more "infected" than rusted out.   A lot of us sort of cheat with Nurgle machinery by just concentrating on dirty and decrepit rather than Nurgles real focus of rotteness and corruption. I like that you extended the Nurgle-ness to the base.  makes me think that it's corrupting the very ground it stands on. 

What shades of green did you use?

Edited by Paintergeist
  • Like 1

Straight up nasty. Looks great. Especially since this one looks more "infected" than rusted out. A lot of us sort of cheat with Nurgle machinery by just concentrating on dirty and decrepit rather than Nurgles real focus of rotteness and corruption. I like that you extended the Nurgle-ness to the base. makes me think that it's corrupting the very ground it stands on.

What shades of green did you use?

Funnily enough I can't think of any of my Nurgle stuff that I went the rusty route with. I've always with the corruption, rot and disease theme for Nurgle.

All my Nurgle schemes start with spray basing either flat black, white, bone white, or as in this case a green. The green varies depending on whichever olive drab or medium green I have handy, I'm pretty sure this was a Testors flat medium green from their military line. The specific shade doesn't matter that much to me at this stage since it's going to change so much. It should be noted that my force is a mix of color schemes based off those basecoats held together visually by their shared corruption washes. I conceive of my force as a hodgepodge combination of squads and vehicles brought together by Papa Nurgle's joyous corruptive embrace.

Next step is a home brew mix of green, brown, and black wash with a touch of red in it that I refer to as Nurgle slime. I usually do one sloppy overall wash. Then I go in and drybrush and blend a color that compliments the base that I used, in this case it was Cadian Green. I then add the other detail colors and make a highlighting pass over everything.

Final step(s) is more Nurgle slime washes until the model fits the look of the rest of the force. Sometimes straight black washes are spot applied and occasionally some strategic gloss medium on specific details after the model is dull coated.

Glad you like the Nurglization of his base. Your impression is pretty much exactly what I was going for. I envisioned the dread as having paused on a rise to look for targets and in that brief time his general aura of corruption is already oozing into the landscape.

Edited by Erifnogard
  • Like 1

And thus, you have added a couple more nurglings to my heart  :wub:

Papa Nurgle has plenty of nurglings for everybody, he's a giver that way. :;):

I really love the sculpt on this, it's a really great, clean (but, you know, filthy) paint job!

Thanks!
  • Like 2