Classroom Pets

Qwyksilver

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We will be looking for variety.  I know a number of teachers will be getting some of the smaller rodents, they just haven't input their selection to the google docs list we are using.  Butterflies are already a part of the classroom curriculum.

And I will be avoiding birds because of allergies, noise, cleaning the cage, noise, noise, noise :lol:

• Like 3

Will this pet be held? 

Who takes care of it over the weekend?

Reptiles, especially if they are juveniles will need to be transported to and from school. That can get heavy and time intensive. Bearded dragons make great pets and require at least a 40 gal. up to a 75 gal. terrarium when full grown. Sulcata get HUGE, stay away. Smaller tortoise could be fun but would also require transport 

Fish, guinea pigs, rats, leopard gecko make good classroom pets.

If you are near a PetSmart there is a pets in classrooms program. Which provides coupons for almost all set up cost and the pet. You just have to submit a request.

The teacher that is getting the sculata tortoise knows what she is getting.  When it gets too big for the classroom, she will be bringing it home.

• Like 2

Doves are gorgeous, quiet, and calm.... I <3 them, if you're looking for a bird. Rodents are great, too - except guenea pigs, who are also very fragile if dropped (their spines are very fragile)

Could you maybe work with a service group to get a trained therapy poodle? They're hypoallergenic, great pets, and a therapy dog would probably be really good for some of your students and as a helper animal, especially in special ed. There are grant programs to help pay for them, too...

• Like 1

Another pet I enjoyed having that were relatively low maintenance are Red Claw crabs. Can get a decent amount and they interact with each other, waving their claws or sifting sand. Just make sure to have a spot they can get out of the water too [some petstores keep them in fully aquatic tanks and they frequently drown =( ]

• Like 2

Chinchillas are neat, what with the dust baths.

I see garter snake...I would see if there's another teacher interested in a colony of rats...and a ball python. Science in action!

Expensive, but the best possible classroom pet would be an octopus. Give it a semester, and it could teach a few classes!

Get a sand table and teach the kids Warlord or CAV with the added environmental hazard of hermit crabs.

I don't see any ferrets on the list...those are fun.

For local flavor, get an armadillo. Just keep it away from the school parking lot, and any croquet mallets.

Im being silly, but I do think any of those would be pretty cool in the classroom.

• Like 1

Meesh's were... No louder than my cats, at least.

And how did I know you kept crabs, Sirith?

I had two, they sang constantly. Sweet birds, but sang 24/7. Cooing. After awhile you get numb to the sound but they were noisy birds. I've had African greys that were quieter and they can talk a lot.

Edit: African Greys are wonderful at exactly mimicking any sound they hear....oh all the times I've searched for my phone or went to answer the front door.

@[email protected]

Edited by MissMelons
  • Like 3