Okay, so I'm probably going to go either this afternoon or tomorrow and pick up a wooden oval base and cork [to be sea rocks on the base] to put Coraldrax on. I had a few questions, as I've never constructed a cork base...is hot glue okay to use? Should I use a different glue to hold it together? What do you recommend to cut it? Xacto knife? Figured I should ask this before going to pick up supplies haha

Coraldrax:

post-12758-0-84867700-1398461433_thumb.jpg

Main thread with more pictures: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/54577-coraldrax-sea-kaladrax/

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 12

Straight cork won't hold the weight. You'll want to have some kind of base board to support it. For cutting, a sharp exacto works well but so will a serrated kitchen knife or a good pair of scissors

Hot glue won't handle the weight either if you want to pick it up by the base. If you do cork on another wood type base you can use a white glue like Tacky Glue to hold the wood products together. Tacky glue would also be better than hot glue for tacking down any bits to the cork. Don't have a lot of bones experience but I would think you would need to rough up the base of Coraldrax quite a bit to get any adhesion from white glue. I'd go with E6000 or some other high strength glue for Bonsium to base glue. 

Edited by Ludo
  • Like 4

Straight cork won't hold the weight. You'll want to have some kind of base board to support it. For cutting, a sharp exacto works well but so will a serrated kitchen knife or a good pair of scissors

Hot glue won't handle the weight either if you want to pick it up by the base. If you do cork on another wood type base you can use a white glue like Tacky Glue to hold the wood products together. Tacky glue would also be better than hot glue for tacking down any bits to the cork. Don't have a lot of bones experience but I would think you would need to rough up the base of Coraldrax quite a bit to get any adhesion from white glue. I'd go with E6000 or some other high strength glue for Bonsium to base glue. 

No, no, he'll go on a big wooden oval  ^_^ The cork is going to be for making rocks to match his current base. Just decoration. I didn't describe it well enough in the first post, sorry!

Thanks for the glue advice! 

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 2

I've used superglue for attaching my cork to bases, it does adhere very well. I'd recommend the gorilla glue brand of superglue though, the stuff holds very well and won't get brittle like other brands. It actually has a kind of rubberizer in it and it expands a little bit. Easy to use as well. 

• Like 1

I have used gorilla wood glue for holding down the cork and for gluing cork to itself.   I have used the gorilla glue or white glue or superglue to fix the figures to the cork and I would recommend some pins in the base that go into the wood to give it that extra staying power.

• Like 3

If Coraldrax is going to be glued straight to the base, I think superglue will probably be just fine for holding down the cork. I find it a little weird to work with, because it's spongy and compresses in a way that most miniatures materials don't, but I think you'll be OK.

Make sure you post pictures!

• Like 1

Bought a big base and some cork! Will get started tomorrow and I'll update this thread with WIP photos as I go =) He JUST fits on the base I bought

• Like 5

So while applying cork to the base, I'm thinking of where I can sneak aquatic familiars into the scene. I'm gonna use my shark

post-12758-0-35708600-1399778992_thumb.jpg

I'm also really considering getting this set [gonna ask for it for my birthday, maybe i'll get it] but until then, i'll just use my shark's circular base to outline where the ones i'll use will sit. I'm thinking of the octopus, the second shark, the eel, and the stingray for sure. Maybe the dragonfish if I can slip him in somewhere. Don't want to crowd it too much, but I think i can fit all of the ones i listed into the base and make it look natural. They'll be removable as well, in case we need them for a game

02948_G.jpg

I'd also really like this crab...however he's not available to buy individually  <_< oh well...

03608_w_1.jpg

i'll take pictures of my progress on the base tomorrow  ::D:

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 8

Thanks :D I asked the husband for the familiar pack so we will see what happens with that. Birthday isn't until next Saturday so I will find out then. Won't my get the crab since he can't be bought separately and I don't really like the others in that pack >.>

Ordered new green stuff tonight as well ^.^

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 4

Beautiful colors for an aquatic theme mod with all those extra details (seaweed, starfish, etc.).

Am I the only one who has an urge to put Coraldrax as the centerpiece of an aquarium?

• Like 1

When I did my bones pathfinder dragon (a significantly smaller dragon) I used 5 ton Epoxy to glue the wood base to the mini. There's no possible way those 2 will be coming apart. 

• Like 1

Pictures! Right now, I'm just putting in where the rocks and reefs are going to be. Images i've looked at of tidal pools and coral reefs show a very uneven, multi-level ground so i'm attempting to mimic that. Once I have all the cork down, I plan to go back over it with a hobby knife and dig out pits and uneven surfaces in the larger surfaces of cork

The black circles are cheap air dry clay that i'm using for large ground cover between the taller reefs and rocks. THe famliar pack will go in them. The two close together are going to be my shark and the new shark, the one by his tail tip will be the ray, one by the curve of his tail is going to be the octopus i think, and i haven't yet marked a spot for the eel

i'm not sure yet what i'll use to attach him to the base. that'll be one of the last things I do, otherwise it'd be hard to work on the surrounding area. But i'll keep that in mind! i want him to be stuck good  ^_^

post-12758-0-74623800-1409411606_thumb.jpg

post-12758-0-25365900-1409411610_thumb.jpg

post-12758-0-06546400-1409411613_thumb.jpg

post-12758-0-38956200-1409411615_thumb.jpg

• Like 12