CAV: STRIKE OPERATIONS Kickstarter

CAVBOSS

Units are generally organized in groups of four

Hmm, thanks; although if that's true, adding one-of's to the core set seems odd.  Will we need additional copies of these figures in order to use them in games?

The models in the core set (without the add ons from the strech goal) are more than enough to start playing, maybe even a bit excessive for someone just starting. For a first game I usually recommend two units of four models each and build from there.

That's good to know.  I'd like to pick up additional figures now while the prices are good, but maybe it's better to just get a core set, and wait for retail on anything else.

Groups can, and often are, a mix of different model types.  The "one-off"s will expand your available battle field roll options and give you a little variety.  You don't need four of every model.

Get them now before they hit retail.  You get a better price here and that money will help further expand the plastic line of products.  Down the line when you're ready to expand your force would be a good time to hit up retail.  That tactic is what made Bones I & II so successful.

Yeah, what he said.

• Like 2

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And having played my first Warlord game this past weekend I can say reducing the number of types on model you need to track stats and abilities for can help the beginner out . . . 

At least it would have this beginner . . .  ::):

CAV is typically not nearly as hard to track as Warlord, no magic=less SA's to worry about.

I started my kids on CAV when they were 8.  We just got into Warlord a year or two ago when the eldest was 13.

Edited by TaleSpinner
  • Like 2

Hmmm...perhaps a New England Paint CAV day is in order.  Since a number of us (me, Falstius, klarg, Aard) are going in on this.

I make no promises on painting speed*, but I'd love to give the game a whirl.

* Actually, I do. Just not the good kind. :P

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 2

The models look really good in a game.  I've only played CAV 2, but it won't take much to convince me to play the newest version.  I'm almost entirely devoted to fantasy wargaming, but CAV is too cool to pass on for me.  It's one of the few sci-fi games I play.

• Like 1

Hmmm...perhaps a New England Paint CAV day is in order.  Since a number of us (me, Falstius, klarg, Aard) are going in on this.

I make no promises on painting speed*, but I'd love to give the game a whirl.

* Actually, I do. Just not the good kind. :P

I have an air brush and I not afraid to use it.

Count me in on that. I'm down on the Cape, but I'll come up to play this!

Excellent.  It only used to take be two hours to get to Cape when I visited my in-laws (Awesome Wife is originally from Falmouth).  Depending on traffic at the bridge that is.  If it's bad then add 1d4 hours.

• Like 4

I was sitting there, thinking to myself, "Self, I haven't visited the Reaper peeps in some time!"

I opened a new tab, typed all of r-e-a when the familiar suggestion for the forums showed up. I went into heck yeah mode and clicked on it! And then I got a 404 error! Oh No! I tried multiple times, with the same result. I tried going in with Google searches, tried various sections, even hid my IP in case I'd done something to get blocked (and started mentally drafting my apology, assuming I'd be able to find out what the transgression was), all to no avail.

"Surely, there will be comments on the KSII regarding this issue!" was my next thought. I went to Kickstarter, and searched for Reaper. What timing! A new Reaper KS, and I accidentally found it on the first day! Alas, giant robots aren't my thang (gaming isn't my thang, but I like painting wizards).

I shall follow with great enthusiasm as the internal battle between I-don't-like-robots and I-NEED-ALL-THE-BONES rages on. My bet is on me spending some money.

• Like 6

While I'm not into CAV I know it has a devoted following. Heck for me Reaper is Dark Heaven Legends & CAV. The other stuff just supports those two. Hoping there quite a bit of stretch goals opened as I see myself buying some single figs. Espically some of the heavier models. I like the look of them. Always have, just the prices where more then I wanted to spend on a single figure.

Says the person who typically leaves Reapercon with 5+ pounds of melt left. ::P:

IIRC CAV is like Battletech in that even though mechs are faction specific, all nations can conceivably have access to all mechs.

But what we really need are Tigers. I will buy 10 (because that is the max I can get), then I will have my friend pledge and get me 10 more. Seriously.

I would have done that with Rauthuros but I couldn't justify that many of the other demon.

Came home with no melt slip this year! Granted it's now converted to store credit.....

• Like 3

I shall follow with great enthusiasm as the internal battle between I-don't-like-robots and I-NEED-ALL-THE-BONES rages on. My bet is on me spending some money.

If stompy robots isn't your thing, there has been a strong hint that paint will be offered during the project. Just sayin'...  :ph34r:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 2

And by "a strong hint," she means, "they have announced on the front page of the Kickstarter that paint will be available once they raise another $27K, and it will contain six paints for $9, which is less than half of MSRP."

Edited by Slendertroll
  • Like 7

And by "a strong hint," she means, "they have announced on the front page of the Kickstarter that paint will be available once they raise another $27K, and it will contain six paints for $9, which is less than half of MSRP."

...YES that is exactly what I meant. Exactly.  :ph34r:

I haven't checked the KS page since yesterday morning so I didn't know they'd added that. PAINT! SQUEE!!!!!

EDIT: Update from ReaperBryan himself:

About the paint - the three lower than 09250 are all re-releases of colors we once produced and may have since phased out of production. This they are not "new" but they are also not necessarily easy to get. 

I'm not at the shop to see if any of them are still in production, but I know they all have been at one time

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 4