CAV: STRIKE OPERATIONS Kickstarter

CAVBOSS

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reaper User

Decided to go in for the gray plastic "Elite" level, even though it will result in later shipment. Presumably there's a reason for the switch in plastics; I'm willing to trust that it was for a good reason.

So, "First".

:;):

- There is no change in plastic, just the color. We ran the first ones in white as that was what we were using at the time. In hindsight, I decided gray was a better "machine" color and changed it for future stuff.

Have you run anything in the new color? (Colorants can change the characteristics of plastics.)

-- We have not, but we have been assured that going to gray will not cause any problems.

• Like 2

-- We have not, but we have been assured that going to gray will not cause any problems.

Thanks for the info. Usually a bigger problem for crystalline plastics than for amorphous as I understand it, so I expect they're right.

Hmm. I prefer gray to white, but I prefer Nov. to May, too.

Now I have to make a decision. On a holiday. Early (-ish) in the morning.

This might not go well.  ^_^

• Like 5

The way the machines work it makes absolutely no difference in this case.  The chemical make-up of the plastic should remain 99% identical.  IF there were ever translucent versions that'd be a different story.

• Like 1

Not a machine issue. Injection-molded plastics can change their characteristics with the addition of colorants or a change in colorants even on a single machine, resulting in changes in ductility (either during injection or in the finished product), durability, strength, whatever. Other changes in additives can make similar changes (see the difference between Wyrmgear's wings and Cthulhu, for instance). Hence the question.

I assume they're using a colorant to make the PVC white already, so making it gray instead is less likely to cause significant changes (and I trust that their plastics guy knows what the result would be with this change).

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. Usually a bigger problem for crystalline plastics than for amorphous as I understand it, so I expect they're right.

Hmm. I prefer gray to white, but I prefer Nov. to May, too.

Now I have to make a decision. On a holiday. Early (-ish) in the morning.

This might not go well.  ^_^

You could just use some black ink to bring out the details, it takes just a minute per figure and would make them grey AND somewhat detailed. I've tried it with some bones orcs and it'll do until I get a chance to paint all 20 unpainted figures I have.

• Like 1

Inks often reactivate when you paint over them. But I could do the same with an acrylic wash. (One of the Liner colors is traditional with Bones figures.) But I still prefer gray to white.

^_^

I'll probably change now, since the Elite level has no current limit while the early bird does.

KS deals keep getting less sweet.  While they might be bigger, multiples of the same model are not equal to multiple models.

Trust me, having that large starter set is going to be very handy.  Given how squadrons are formed in this game and the expirence I've got play testing we're getting a great deal.  Besides, as things get unlocked it'll become a better and better deal just like the other Bones KS's.

@CAVBOSS:  If you can support it I'd recommend creating a new pledge level for painters/collectors that is just one of each of the core set and that still behaves like the normal sets (freebies, etc).  That will easily accomodate those whom are not interested in duplicates.  Likewise, the ability to purchase individual core models for the $1 backers might help out as well.

• Like 1

• Reaper User

@CAVBOSS:  If you can support it I'd recommend creating a new pledge level for painters/collectors that is just one of each of the core set and that still behaves like the normal sets (freebies, etc).  That will easily accomodate those whom are not interested in duplicates.  Likewise, the ability to purchase individual core models for the $1 backers might help out as well.

-- You will be able to "buy" the core force level models individually as well once the KS closes through the pledge manager. I think that will cover both of your "instances" without needing a new pledge level. We shall see how things shake out.

• Like 2

-- You will be able to "buy" the core force level models individually as well once the KS closes through the pledge manager. I think that will cover both of your "instances" without needing a new pledge level. We shall see how things shake out.

Will there be a price list for the individual models in Core?  That way people can increase pledges for those add-ons.

The T-bird is $5, but it is one of the bigger CAV.  What is the price range?

• Like 1