CAV: STRIKE OPERATIONS Kickstarter

CAVBOSS

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still wish I had some idea of the role of tanks and how many I need. Most game kick starters spend a fair amount of time discussing how the miniatures are used in the actual game.

I guess I'll just have to wait for the rules. At least I will have those during the ks instead of waiting until my armies arrive!

Back in CAV 2, I frequently built forces without any CAVs at all, instead using a couple sections of medium tanks supported by infantry and aircraft. It was remarkably effective, and much less vulnerable to enemy infantry than a typical CAV-centric army.

Of course then you have to contend with the crippling fact that you have no big stompy robots!!!  I mean that would make me want to quit life playing!

• Like 8

I still wish I had some idea of the role of tanks and how many I need. Most game kick starters spend a fair amount of time discussing how the miniatures are used in the actual game.

I guess I'll just have to wait for the rules. At least I will have those during the ks instead of waiting until my armies arrive!

Back in CAV 2, I frequently built forces without any CAVs at all, instead using a couple sections of medium tanks supported by infantry and aircraft. It was remarkably effective, and much less vulnerable to enemy infantry than a typical CAV-centric army.

Of course then you have to contend with the crippling fact that you have no big stompy robots!!!  I mean that would make me want to quit life playing!

I feel pretty much the same here.

One thing that nobody seems to realize, however, is how agile CAVs actually are!  Even the really big ones can move as fluidly as if it were a suit.  Check out the technical briefing on the joint system in the CAV2 book.

• Like 1

I had another force for when the urge to stomp became irresistible. Though even that one had a section of chieftains and a few aircraft supporting the two CAV sections. Ultimately, you can build a fairly effective force out of any mix of units, but it'll have different strengths and weaknesses. My no-CAV army was very fast and responsive since I always had more sections than my opponent, making it ideal for objective-based scenarios, while my CAV-centric force had more concentrated firepower.

• Like 1

I pledged primarily because I played a bunch of Battletech back in the day and I would like to get back into mech combat with CAV. But that kind of blinded me to alternate uses until I saw the 28mm Rach in one of Girot's scale photos. Cool thing is with the price so cheap I can afford to buy extras to paint with an eye to making their markings fit the 28mm role rather than using the ones I paint for CAV for double duty.

• Like 5

So I noticed that in the BT forums, CAVBOSS said that most of the giant stompy robot minis will be cast in 4 parts.  Do we know if they will be glued in the factory like the other Bones lines?

IIRC, CAVBOSS has referenced manually sticking the arms onto some of the first batch, which would seem to confirm they will come separately (which is great for posing and kitbashing). He also mentioned that it's a pretty tight fit though--gluing may not even be strictly necessary.

• Like 3