CAV: STRIKE OPERATIONS Kickstarter

CAVBOSS

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a belief in the gaming industry that while fantasy miniatures will sell on their own without a game, sci-fi miniatures will not sell with an associated game. I disagree with that point of view, but that's what the collective wisdom says.

I have to wonder if that's because the big RPGs like D&D and Pathfinder are fantasy, whereas there's no sci-fi equivalent (I know there are sci-fi RPGs, just none as widespread as their fantasy counterparts).

Also, I think fantasy is generally easier to get to "fit" when it comes to different styles.  Differently styled sci-fi miniatures just seem to clash more, in my opinion.

• Like 2

Also, Fantasy is basically open-source. You can throw some stuff together with some standard tropes, and while it's not original, your campaign blog probably won't violate IP provided you change the names. All sci-fi universes are proprietary. It'd be nice if the owner of one of the pulp sci-fi cosmos', like Asimov's Foundation and Empire or the Human Imperium from Traitor's Moon, would notice this and declare their universe open and collaborative.

• Like 3

So, some of the CAV designs I think are begging to be on display:

Sabretooth, Mastodon, Duelist, Knight-and-or-Thug! But especially the Duelist and Mastodon.

After a quick look at these, I think the Duelist and one of the Knight or Thug would make for a solid pair for a stretch goal.

Edited by lowlylowlycook
  • Like 2