• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

/peeks into thread

I hope we get more paint.

^_^

That's what I'm hoping. Some metallic would be nice. :P

Some of Annes beautiful Pro Paint Bright Gold would be perrrrrrrrffect for Cav. hint hint, nudge nudge nudge nudge nudge, poke poke poke!!!

-throws money at screen in support of metallic paints-

This nicely sums up my opinions exactly.  ::D:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 2

The difference being is that the first two Bones KS were primarily selling figures that were very fantasy generic in 28mm. There's a huge market out there for generic fantasy miniatures that can be used with fantasy RPGs (D&D/Pathfinder/etc.). The market for fantasy RPGs is far bigger then the scifi market for RPGs, this is also the market Reaper has primarily aimed for with it's fantasy miniatures. All the big wargames use their own miniatures ranges, often trying to be as exclusive as possible and discouraging folks to use minis from other companies and (try) suing companies that make 'copies' op their IP.

Now CAV is it's own game, it's focus is very specific (Mechs and vehicles), and it's scale is uncommon (10mm) in sci-fi mini land (although getting more popular with Dropzone Commander and Firestorm Planetfall). Add to that that CAV has always been the unnamed basterd child of Reaper, it's not strange that folks a lot of folks want to see rules first before committing to anything. It does help that a lot of Mechs will be compatible with the far more popular Battletech (but even that is a tiny market compared to D&D/Pathfinder).

If we indeed do reach only the $250k mark at the end of the KS I suspect that you'll end up with ~46 CAVS and ~14 vehicles for only $100, that's a pretty good deal. Not an incredible deal like the first Bones KS or a great deal like the second Bones KS. $4-$5 for each additional CAV is decent, but $4 for two vehicles is also a pretty good deal (a shame I can only order 10x2 Despots! ;-) It would be an even better deal if I didn't have to take into account $200 shipping and another $400 in taxes and import fees...

Order lots! Make sure that you'll never be out of plastic CAVs, vehicles or spare parts again!

• Like 1

Well 40K had all the tropes and they now defend it as unique IP...

They can claim anything they want to. Defending that claim is rather harder. (See the recent debacle of their attempt to claim "Space Marine".)

Unfortunately, even the threat of a frivolous lawsuit is enough to stop most kickstarter projects. If they had money to defend themselves in court, they wouldn't be here.

• Like 2

@ Cergorach

I think my main disagreement with you would have to be that fantasy RPG miniatures is a "huge market". I can only talk from my experiance but to me it seems that RPG is a niche market of a niche market. Its tiny. I have been a member of wargaming club sand often visit my FLGS and I have met ONE(!) RPG'er. And... He had never heard of using miniatures! They used their imagination. In my country Sci-fi 10 mm while not very big would still have a bigger market.

I guess it varies from country to country.

I think my point was that in Bones 1 and 2 a lot of the backers (including myself) went "I have no idea what to use all this for but its simply too cheap to pass up on". People just wanted to OWN them. On this KS I see a lot of "What is the game like?" and "Can I proxy it for X or Y game"

In other words: Where are all the crazy elf collectors who buy a shamefull amount of models just to put in their garage?! I cant hold the fort all on my own!

@ Cergorach

I think my main disagreement with you would have to be that fantasy RPG miniatures is a "huge market". I can only talk from my experiance but to me it seems that RPG is a niche market of a niche market. Its tiny. I have been a member of wargaming club sand often visit my FLGS and I have met ONE(!) RPG'er. And... He had never heard of using miniatures! They used their imagination. In my country Sci-fi 10 mm while not very big would still have a bigger market.

I guess it varies from country to country.

I think my point was that in Bones 1 and 2 a lot of the backers (including myself) went "I have no idea what to use all this for but its simply too cheap to pass up on". People just wanted to OWN them. On this KS I see a lot of "What is the game like?" and "Can I proxy it for X or Y game"

In other words: Where are all the crazy butt collectors who buy a shamefull amount of models just to put in their garage?! I cant hold the fort all on my own!

'Huge' in the gaming market, D&D as a RPG had ~6 million players in 2007, in 2004 more the 20 million people had played the D&D RPG. The big difference with a company like GW is that each person playing their game spends a lot more compared to a RPG player (often just the PHB even if that), so a company like GW with 40k/wfb generates a lot more revenue then a company like WoTC with D&D.

While such stats might differ with each region, as a gamer that is very immersed in both 'scenes' I notice that while there's overlap with th RPGers and the miniature gamers, if they're not in both groups they don't notice each other. There are tons of RPGers that don't play with minis, there are still tons that do. Just look at the number of people that backed the first two Reaper Bones KS or the Dwarven Forge KS, now compare that to something like Battletech. The first print of the BT starter boxes was around 20% of the number of backers for the Bones KS and a lot of people haven't even heard of KS or don't buy through KS. CAV Bones is also a Mech heavy KS at the moment, so it'll sooner appeal to BT fans then Dropzone Commander or Firestorm Planetfall fans. MechWarrior Dark Age was burried very long ago, so the fan base is currently relatively small or you need a lot of new players, both make the CAV Bones KS a lot more 'difficult' then the previous Reaper KS.

Don't know where your located, but here in the Netherlands you have a lot of folks that came into RPGs and aren't into or even know people who are into miniature wargames and vice versa. You also have the Boardgamers, the cardgamers, etc. There is overlap, but even then knowledge about communities outside their interest zones is often very little. Talked to an old friend that's been a D&D fan for over two decades, but only recently learned about Pathfinder (and that's supposedly the same 'group') also only recently found out about Fantasy Flight Games. But he did know about Reaper as a miniature manufacturer, but didn't know about the whole Bones KS thing.

Also the first two KS ended up with 200+ minis, currently we're at 42 minis with this KS... Sure the CAVs are a lot bigger then your average Orc, but that's not what other people see right away...

Thing is KS1&2 were no-brainers. Divide cost by miniatures, faint, pledge. The CAVs are all multi-part moulds, so there's just not as many per dollar spent. But if you compare them to metal mechs that are $10-$15 each, the KS is just as insane in terms of value. Assuming $10 per mech, it's already over $460 worth of miniatures if you bought it in metal.

I mean, $100 will get you all the mechs you need to field 2-4 decent forces of 10mm sci-fi in most rule systems, or enough in BT to die of old age resolving the first turn. They're cheap enough to buy for the sake of designing your own mass battle 10mm rules and duking it out with 20+ mechs per side.

I'm willing to bet that when compared to retail, this KS comes in at the same value as the previous. It just won't hit as amazing a $/figure number.

• Like 4

$100 will get you all the mechs you need to field 2-4 decent forces of 10mm sci-fi in most rule systems, or enough in BT to die of old age resolving the first turn.

QFT.

Otherwise you use the slightly more arbitrary "group combat" rules, and you might actually finish the game before you die

• Like 3