CAV: STRIKE OPERATIONS Kickstarter

CAVBOSS

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone point me to some great (hopefully cheap!) n scale terrain? Did some searching but all I can find are train stations and log cabins! XD

On the other hand if I ever do a CAV battle taking place in Twin Peaks I would be all set...

I just started a thread on this:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/56882-considering-n-scale-10-mm-terrain-and-buildings-for-cav/

I have seen what looks like some interesting cardstock skyscrapers from a game called Dropzone Commander, and also some big downloadable printable PDFs from somewhere for making one's own. I'm hoping more experienced modelers can give useful advice.

Check this out:  http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/56802-cav-terrain-electrical-boxes/ 

• Like 1

Battletech rounds vary greatly with player experience. My group can play a company on company (with auxiliary vehicles and infantry) in about 4-5 hours. Anything larger and we slip over to the Alpha Strike rules. CAV is generally faster than Battletech but slower than Alpha Strike. If you're playing with newbs, of course it will slow down. I imagine that will be the same for CAV too.

I've been reading the rules and I'm really excited to play this. I think I'll pick up some felt for terrain and cut packing foam for elevation.

I assume the date cards for each model will be online? Do we have to wait for the full rule book or will the Kickstarter models be released before that?

I'm a bit surprised by the relatively rough state of the text. I've done a lot of thesis editing and could use some hard copies of the book ...

• Like 2

I played BT with a mate who memorized it in high school. It ran fairly smoothly since he ran every calculation in his head and just reeled off results. Even with a Mentat it still took too long for me to consider playing it 20 mechs per side!

I have personally played with as many as 40, although 8-12 is far more typical.

• Like 1

I've been reading the rules and I'm really excited to play this. I think I'll pick up some felt for terrain and cut packing foam for elevation.

I assume the date cards for each model will be online? Do we have to wait for the full rule book or will the Kickstarter models be released before that?

I'm a bit surprised by the relatively rough state of the text. I've done a lot of thesis editing and could use some hard copies of the book ...

Editing passes make a huge difference, and we're about to enter that stage.

I am not sure whether we will be releasing data cards for everything during the project, in fact I'm fairly sure we will not release 100% of the information needed, just because we need some reason to buy the book that we are otherwise giving away for free.

Editing passes make a huge difference, and we're about to enter that stage.

I am not sure whether we will be releasing data cards for everything during the project, in fact I'm fairly sure we will not release 100% of the information needed, just because we need some reason to buy the book that we are otherwise giving away for free.

Fair enough!  ::D:  I'm planning on picking up the book no matter what.  Could there be a possible paid download for the "expanded range" of unit cards in the future?  I'll gladly pay for a digital copy of the set(s) as having the capacity to print them as I need them is highly attractive.

• Like 6

I know editing makes a difference, I was just surprised that it wasn't further along in editing.  I know I get particularly distracted by such things, and I try to look past it and just be excited by the play-style and rules.

There were earlier comments about not producing deluxe data-card packs because they would quickly be errata'd and that would annoy people.  This implied to me that the updated cards would be available online since the book will also be out of date. If free cards aren't in the business model, I'd love to have PDFs available for purchase from one of the online RPG stores that would be automatically updated and I could print to play.

• Like 1

Heck, I'll end up buying the book even though I'll be playing CAV 2! (That's what my local group is playing.)

I played BT with a mate who memorized it in high school. It ran fairly smoothly since he ran every calculation in his head and just reeled off results. Even with a Mentat it still took too long for me to consider playing it 20 mechs per side!

I have personally played with as many as 40, although 8-12 is far more typical.

most I've ever played was about 12 per side. That took us most of the night, though it had rules for units being forced to withdraw and such which made things a little easier. Helps when you have teams of players, and roll team initiative as well as side initiative. That way you always know who's turn it is to move, and you can plan things out between turns easier. Rolling for hits and damage also took a lot of time, but some of the players had the location charts memorized and called locations for me.