CAV: STRIKE OPERATIONS Kickstarter

CAVBOSS

So is there a way to make gloss sealer more matte? I know the standard RMSBOS is sort of satin-finish, but gets more matte if you mix water with it. Is gloss sealer the same way?

I just brush on a matte sealer over the gloss sealer.. 

That... seems like exactly twice as much work as just putting the matte sealer down in the first place.

• Like 2

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really want 3 squads though: attack, fire support and recon.

Better with 4 squads: 2 Attack (for pincer moves), 1 fire support, and 1 recon

or 6 squads: 3 Attack, 1 fire support, 1 recon, and 1 flight  ::P:

I haven't been able to look deeply into the rules yet, do they still require a Primary squad type for each Secondary added, if so, Falstius' 3 squad arrangement wouldn't be game legal without adding the second Attack squad. That was always my biggest frustration with CAV2 was trying to meet both the Primary/Secondary section rules and still not go over the points set for a game.

Edited by TaleSpinner
  • Like 2

I have always thought so, but according to this it's a myth.

Even with the same base, I wouldn't be surprised to see that matt varnish is weaker in practice, since its coefficient of friction (by virtue of its rougher surface) will be higher. Higher coefficient of friction would result in a higher probability of the surface wearing off.

• Like 1

So if someone were to want a small airforce worth of the VTOL plane how much would extra copies be?

+$4 to your pledge will get you +2 of a plane (Kraken or Tsuiseki).  

Why? Why do you say these things?

You know I want to save enough to be able to retire and actually paint some day, right?

• Like 6

I just brush on a matte sealer over the gloss sealer.. 

That... seems like exactly twice as much work as just putting the matte sealer down in the first place.

It is, but one additional thing to throw into the mix.  If you are using water slide decals (like the Fighting Pirannah faction and unit decals for CAV), they go on much better over a gloss finish than over a matte finish.  This is one of the main reasons why I spray my figures with gloss coat, allow that to dry, apply decals as needed, and then hit with Testors Dullcoat (the dullest matte sealer I know). 

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 4

It is, but one additional thing to throw into the mix.  If you are using water slide decals (like the Fighting Pirannah faction and unit decals for CAV), they go on much better over a gloss finish than over a matte finish.  This is one of the main reasons why I spray my figures with gloss coat, allow that to dry, apply decals as needed, and then hit with Testors Dullcoat (the dullest matte sealer I know).

I actually add one more coat of gloss before the Dullcoat usually. Makes it impossible to see the edge of the decal at all.
  • Like 1

I do that on plastic model kits as well. (Hadn't thought about doing it with CAV.)

@Erifnogard: The Epic scale tanks are freaking tiny compared to 10mm. When you stand a CAV Light Infantryman next to the Leman Russ it looks like a sci-fi portopotty. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that Epic is more like 3-5mm in scale. You could still use them but I'd base everything on the hexes to be safe. On the other hand though if everything you played with were the same scale then the rules would still be just as applicable.

Thanks Girot. IIRC Epic was supposed to be 10mm, but in reality all the models were at different scales. I know I have a bunch of the Eldar anti grav tanks.

Either way after seeing the video of game play Brian put in the other post, I am at about 90% for backing this,probably in the new grey color. Based on the planes I like the grey color and looks more tolerable for playing with untainted figs.

Edited by KruleBear
  • Like 1