CAV: STRIKE OPERATIONS Kickstarter

CAVBOSS

Decided now that it is over we needed a spot to talk about it.     I have to admit I was worried when it opened it wouldn't get funded.   I would have never dreamed it would bring in so much money. Great Job Reaper and CAVBoss   I think it goes to show what us long timers have always said.  CAV has the best looking mecha minis any were.    I love the new designs.  My only regret is I wish more of the gunships would have made it because I love those things.

I see a great chance for CAV to become the game it deserves. 

• Like 2

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lusted after the CAV designs for a long time. I hope that I can now afford to grab a few just to paint :)

I hope there's more like me out there, who are curious but not curious enough at the price - the now much cheaper CAVs will be much more attractive as an impulse buy.

I was, however, always confident the KS would do well!

• Like 3

Yeah, really wasn't worried about the funding at the start. Knew it would do well there.

I'm a little disappointed that we didn't go as far down deep into the stretch goals, but that's just the niche nature of the KS. It would be a bit like having a KS for Bones dungeon terrain, where it'll fund and do well, but is not everybody's cup of tea. I'm happy with what I got, and will just have to be patient and hope for the organic roll out of more post-KS Bones in the coming years.

Course, by the time I get all of what I got painted, it probably will take me that long anyway.

• Like 1

The only thing that kind of surprised me was that all the early birds didn't sell out.  I thought those would really trigger people's impulse buy reflexes.  Maybe I'm just projecting...

Anyway, it's hard to be disappointed with the Kickstarter given that CAV now instantly has one of the most extensive collection of plastic mechs for sale.  Even BattleTech itself has only a few more available in plastic and those aren't even sold as singles.  (As an aside, I don't quite get why you can't buy some of them outside of the boxed set.  If Catalyst has paid for the molds why not try and sell as many Thors, Lokis, Battlemasters and Mad Cat's as possible?)  As for expanding the line further,  someone should start a "CAVs we'd like to see in Bones" thread though I guess Reaper knows which of the metals are most popular.

Finally, I really appreciated Reaper making good on all the revealed stretch goals and not only because I really, really wanted those Nightshades.  At the very least it shows that Reaper was willing to put enough faith in CAV to put their own money into molds that they'll have to sell a lot of minis to pay for.

• Like 5

Well, this is one of the reasons for doin' business with Reaper. They've always come through for me. Not shillin', not sellin', just plain truth.

I imagine they'll do okay with the new plastics. Even if CAV doesn't do as well as it might, there's plenty of giant robot games out there, and these new Bones will be mighty affordable compared to some of the stuff out there. Not to mention just being irresistible for robots in a variety of scales, conversions, parts... way more so than the old metals. I loved the old metals, but the cost... Yeah, well, the Bones will be affordable for any interested income bracket.

And unless I am quite wrong, they'll be available individually or in sets, as opposed to models made by other companies I could name. It's all good.

• Like 4

I am VERY happy with the results of this KS, especially Reaper throwing the reward of fulfilling all the shown, but unlocked stretch goals. I got into specifically for the Chieftains, and I was not disappointed.

However, I could have been a LOT happier, but sadly, too many people who love tanks and BSRs did not come through for us.

• Like 4

I said from the beginning that I'm planning on using many duplicates as gifts for my son. He will love the big robots with guns! And it's hard to get this good of a deal for toys for your child these days.

Particularly toys the other little boys can't get at Toys R Us...

• Like 4

I'll chime in to echo the predominant sentiment:  I'm absolutely thrilled that this thing was so successful! 

Towards the end I definitely went above the limit that I allotted myself for this thing, but in the long run it's worth it.  I'm getting about 90 minis, and that translates to HOURS of cheap thrills between painting and playing. 

If I can make a happiness sandwich (happy-disappointed-happy), I'd say I wish that I'd seen more diverse faction offerings.  Terrans and Rach got all the love, a grudging kiss for Malvernis and Ritterlich, and barely a smile for Adon and the Templars.  I also want to see infantry. As-is, I only have about 30 metal stands or so (5-10 squads), all diverse in their load-out.  In theory I'd like to have varied infantry sections for all six factions, plus some mercenaries or pirates, all at Bones prices.  

Maybe including one stand of infantry per CAV, the way GW does with Tyranid Rippers on Warrior & Genestealer sprues?  Eh? What do we think?  Too late?  Shut my yap?  Okay. 

Any complaints I have are mild and forgettable compared to my excitement over how this whole thing went.  Can't wait to get the goods in November and then again in July!  

• Like 1

I doubt that bones infantry are a good idea at this scale.  Reaper's plan of staying with metal but having plastic bases to lower the cost sounds better.

Probably true - just got carried away with my enthusiasm for inexpensive plastic! 

I definitely have mixed feelings looking back over the whole thing. I'm hugely disappointed that no Adonese CAVs made it in, not even the previewed Cobra (every other previewed new CAV was included). As I stated in the KS comments, I think some mistakes were made in calling it "CAV Strike Operations" and then insisting the Kickstarter had nothing to do with the game, as could be seen in the huge number of people asking for gameplay videos and more game information. They probably should have had a more polished rules preview ready to go before the start of the Kickstarter as well.

All that said, I'm thrilled for the CAV line to be getting some positive attention and hope this eventually leads to the entire line being available in plastic.

• Like 1