CAV: STRIKE OPERATIONS Kickstarter

CAVBOSS

I jumped into the KS in the last 10 days, mainly because I 'accidentally' clicked "Tabletop Games" in one of the KS I previously backed and it showed me big stompy assault vehicles!  never CAV'd before; didn't even know about it since I stopped playing WH40K back in '92; and battletech was always a paper and pencil game for me. (hmm, i can't even remember how we played now... I know we didn't have any minis... and I know I basically ran cheap light mechs that ran circles around my friend's assault stuff... maybe we played Mechwarrior) :D

I grabbed a 2nd ACE-level pledge later.

Why would someone who never played or even heard of CAV jump in on a miniature-only KS?  I dunno.  What I do know is that I'm 100% sure I didn't make a mistake in backing; esp. when everything got unlocked at the end as a big Thank You to all the backers.  (Instead of a big somethingelse-you that I've seen)  I missed the Robotech Tactics KS (a good thing, as it turns out) and didn't want to miss other stompy mechs.

As for infantry, I wonder if I can just use my Axis and Allies boardgame pieces to represent.  (or other board games that I don't play...hmm)

Edited by bhchan
  • Like 4

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You will have to pay postage twice as they won't be able to merge the two accounts.

uh oh, i thought postage was included for US-based folks.  going back to KS to check.  ok *phew*  you're probably thinking I'm international based on my last name :)

... now I just need to get some appropriately-sized kaiju together to threaten players in a grand melee type game...

(...looks suspiciously at some Bones 2 figures)

Say, guys, you wouldn't want to help me out? (why am I talking to Bonesium?)  :;,;:  :wow:

i'm hoping the Shadow of Brimstone Belial and other critters will be perfectly sized.

• Like 1

I am very pleased with the outcome of this KS. Sure I wish more stretch goals hand been opened and unlocked, but I'm more disappointed that I couldn't do more to help open those stretch goals. At the beginning of this KS I pledged an EB slot (Backer #8) but knew that finances were going to be real tight. It turned out they were too tight and I had to drop back to a $1 slot and wait until later this year/early next year to finalize the pledge manager. At the same time, the group that I have just started playing Warlord and CAV with (I'm a new comer not just to both but to Tabletop Wargaming in general) decided that several of us should go in together on a slot, so I ended up being a forth out of four on an EB slot. Today I talked to the gang and at least one of them was disappointed that Adon hadn't made an appearance. I can sort of understand as I'm planning on playing Independent and would have liked to have a more diverse set of figures to choose from. One of the guys is a staunch Terran and another is Rach, so they are both very pleased. In the end the biggest disappointment left is that we have to wait till next Summer to get the rest of the figures!

Now I'm going through the list of models available from the KS and building my list, cuz remember I said I had to drop my EB back to a Rookie level, and its a rather large list. I am very sad that my list will not have helped unlock more stretch goals, but at least my contribution will still help further Reapers CAV efforts!

Oh, and BIG STOMPY ROBOTS!!!!!!

Edited by Maredudd

Pretty much the same story as Maredudd.

I can understand people being sad their favourite factions didn't get a look-in; it seems like, for one reason or another, Malvies were heavily represented in the first-run moulds, then after that Reaper focused on the Rach and Terrans as the most asked-for factions. Viewed from that perspective, yeah, a bit disappointing, but on the other hand, other game lines have one or more factions that are harder and more expensive to get into.

Naming it CAV:SO and not having videos/rules quite ready for prime time. Hmmm. Maybe a problem. But I'd rather see a good plan executed now (and the moulds underway) than a perfect plan executed "The S Word". From now on, the CAV KS is going to be THE reference point for cheap mechs, and that's a good thing; and the CAV line will be by far the nicest mech designs at the price.

I feel like Reaper took a bit of a gamble on this one; they're yet to find out if there's actually a 10mm sci-fi market, or only B'Tech / Robotech.

Edited by smokingwreckage
  • Like 2

I'm super happy.  I also think it ended at a good spot, having just filled out the two most popular factions.  They can now launch the game and get everyone playing by next year when the models arrive.  After that, they have the option to have a follow-up KS to launch the rest of the factions.

• Like 7

I feel like Reaper took a bit of a gamble on this one; they're yet to find out if there's actually a 10mm sci-fi market, or only B'Tech / Robotech.

Until about 2 years ago, CAV was the only 10mm sci-fi game that I knew about. But Dropzone Commander came out a couple years back, and is proving fairly popular in some areas. So Reaper's relaunch of CAV is probably hitting a good time.

• Like 2

I'm super happy. I also think it ended at a good spot, having just filled out the two most popular factions. They can now launch the game and get everyone playing by next year when the models arrive. After that, they have the option to have a follow-up KS to launch the rest of the factions.

Maybe they could throw some expansion books into CAVstarter 2, maybe even with stats for a certain kaiju and other beasties that are coming to many of us in the next month or so. (Hint, hint). Just to give more fun options for us that want to play something a bit different occasionally.

What exactly are the rules for pledging using the manager without having pledged on Kickstarter?  

I ask because a couple of people on the BattleTech boards seem to have missed out and I'd like to be able to accurately tell them what their options are at this point.  

Or maybe CAVBOSS could just post a quick post-kickstarter faq over there and cut out the middle man.

So, here's how this works. When we get the funds from Amazon (7-14 days) and get the Backer Report from Kickstarter (14-28 days) we will associate the two together. Then we associate those with accounts on the RPM, and change it from a simple calculator to a full service reward system.

At that time, people without an Amazon Payment AND Kickstarter Pledge associated with the e-mail address used on the RPM will be able to purchase rewards, albeit at a higher rate than backers.

Backers wil be able to lock in rewards at the are shown on KS, regardless of when they added the item or funds to their pledge. Non-Backers will always pay the extra rate, which can be 125-150% the advertised rate.  Such is the price of not backing.

NOTE: 2 things are absolutely VITAL

First is that the e-mail address you signed up for the RPM with is the exact same one you used on Kickstarter.com.  We do NOT get names, except screen names, and cannot prove that you actually already paid any money (even though your card has now been charged) unless we can match the e-mails.

Second is that you provide us a valid shipping address.  Amazon Payments does not provide us with an address, nor does Kickstarter (Kickstarter doesn't even COLLECT an address). If you do not provide us a shipping address through the RPM, we have no way of knowing where to send you rewards.

I can understand people being sad their favourite factions didn't get a look-in; it seems like, for one reason or another, Malvies were heavily represented in the first-run moulds, then after that Reaper focused on the Rach and Terrans as the most asked-for factions.

At the same time, I think both Malvernis and Ritterlich have enough CAV unit types (Recon, Fire Support, etc.) to assemble a viable force, even if they don't yet have the variety of options as the Terrans and Rach.  Personally, I'm really happy about the late Ritterlich adds!  ::D:

The only thing that kind of surprised me was that all the early birds didn't sell out.  I thought those would really trigger people's impulse buy reflexes.  Maybe I'm just projecting...

Anyway, it's hard to be disappointed with the Kickstarter given that CAV now instantly has one of the most extensive collection of plastic mechs for sale.  Even BattleTech itself has only a few more available in plastic and those aren't even sold as singles.  (As an aside, I don't quite get why you can't buy some of them outside of the boxed set.  If Catalyst has paid for the molds why not try and sell as many Thors, Lokis, Battlemasters and Mad Cat's as possible?)  As for expanding the line further,  someone should start a "CAVs we'd like to see in Bones" thread though I guess Reaper knows which of the metals are most popular.

For what it's worth: As of Gencon, Catalyst has started selling "Lance packs" with four of their plastic minis each. You do not have to buy the main boxed set anymore. As for "Why did it take so long?", I would say that they are primarily game designers and publishers, not manufacturers. Rolling out miniatures product takes time.

I picked up a lance pack to check it out at GenCon, and I am looking forward to getting my early-bird bundle of sweet Bonesium CAV. One can never have to many Giant Stompy Robots. :;):

Edited by klarg1

Magnus,

ReaperBryan answered this question.

Backers wil be able to lock in rewards at the are shown on KS, regardless of when they added the item or funds to their pledge. Non-Backers will always pay the extra rate, which can be 125-150% the advertised rate.  Such is the price of not backing.

• Like 1

What exactly are the rules for pledging using the manager without having pledged on Kickstarter?  

I ask because a couple of people on the BattleTech boards seem to have missed out and I'd like to be able to accurately tell them what their options are at this point.  

Or maybe CAVBOSS could just post a quick post-kickstarter faq over there and cut out the middle man.

So, here's how this works. When we get the funds from Amazon (7-14 days) and get the Backer Report from Kickstarter (14-28 days) we will associate the two together. Then we associate those with accounts on the RPM, and change it from a simple calculator to a full service reward system.

At that time, people without an Amazon Payment AND Kickstarter Pledge associated with the e-mail address used on the RPM will be able to purchase rewards, albeit at a higher rate than backers.

NOTE: 2 things are absolutely VITAL

First is that the e-mail address you signed up for the RPM with is the exact same one you used on Kickstarter.com.  We do NOT get names, except screen names, and cannot prove that you actually already paid any money (even though your card has now been charged) unless we can match the e-mails.

Second is that you provide us a valid shipping address.  Amazon Payments does not provide us with an address, nor does Kickstarter (Kickstarter doesn't even COLLECT an address). If you do not provide us a shipping address through the RPM, we have no way of knowing where to send you rewards.

The above information will be shared in an Update, either the first one on Oct 3, or the one where the RPM switches over, possibly Both.

You will have to pay postage twice as they won't be able to merge the two accounts.

uh oh, i thought postage was included for US-based folks.  going back to KS to check.  ok *phew*  you're probably thinking I'm international based on my last name :)

Postage is included for US shipping addresses, yes.