Finally finished these guys! Really like the sculpts, glad I got to discover these through warmachine. Kind of sad that I won't need any more, but that is just an invitation for dioramas and conversions, right? Skorne totally needs to bully some of these guys into beast handler duty..

post-9309-0-65801700-1409587352_thumb.jpgpost-9309-0-98902700-1409587355_thumb.jpg

post-9309-0-91162800-1409587361_thumb.jpgpost-9309-0-86556200-1409587364_thumb.jpg

Wooopsie:

post-9309-0-82804300-1409587358.jpg

Any critique, feedback or hints appreciated :)

I'm downloading gimp right now. How do you make pictures brighter?

• Like 18

Ahh, that's true! Gotta get some more, then ;) Perhaps I'll get eExerxis one day - to justify a tinkerer or two!

Thanks! The smoke effect is some syntetic pillow-stuffing-stuff my GF has laying around :)

Playing with photobucket the next time it is :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MoonglowMinis
      I've got a bunch of amphibious friends to share with you all today!

While in search of some suitable tribal-inspired Bullywug for my ongoing nautical campaign project, I stumbled upon these Croak Raiders from Privateer Press's Hordes.  these metal frogs perfectly balanced the jungle, tribal tree-frog look I wanted with the bulbous look of Bullywugs as opposed to the more nimble Grung who are often stylized as Poison Dart Frogs.  I absolutely fell in love with these frogs and their giant necks.  I was gifted a set during the holidays and quickly ordered Underchief Mire to stand in as the wannabe King of my Bullywug society.

I used these frogs as a chance to get used to my airbrush and try out some other speed painting methods, but really struggled with the slog of painting of painting so many similar things.Especially picking out each knot on the ridiculous amount of rope these guys wear.  You can read a bit about my painting process, especially on my first test model, on this WIP thread HERE.

For now, let's take a closer look at the finished frogs:

Bullywug Throwers

First up are these pot-throwing Bullywug.  The center one with the blue feathers was my test model.  Spent some time working out different techniques and color choices on him.  Ended up changing a few things to help the leather loin cloth stand out from the rope, but I largely got it right the first time.

In the close ups below you can see a better view of the quiver which became a bane of my existence during this project.  All of the frogs, except for the chief, came with these matching quivers.  I could have left them unattached, but they felt incomplete without them and so I suffered through the arduous task of picking out all of the details on these ten times.

More Photos:

Bullywug Spearmen

Next up are these warty frogs equipped with spear-launchers (or atlatl for you weapon-experts).  I like that the quivers that these guys wear contain both arrows and pots, making it seem as if all of the frogs have access to either method of fighting.  I particularly enjoyed the turtle shells on these guys, but getting paint into the tight gap between their right arms was hard.

More Photos:

Bullywug Pyros

These roguish frog-men have stepped it up by igniting their spears.  I had a fun time keeping their faces in shadow by selectively highlighting them.  I also got to play around a bit with OSL.  If I had planned ahead better, I may have tried to paint these up as if they were partially in darkness for a more dramatic OSL look, but I prepped them along with the others for my standard daylight paintjob.  I did try to capture a bit of a warmer glow near the flames and along the right sides of the frogs.  I'm happy enough with it even if it's not super stylized or dramatic.

More Photos:

Bullywug Torch-Bearer

This angry croaker came as the unit leader in the Croak Raiders box.  I was actually missing him originally, but Privateer Press quickly corrected the issue.  Had a bit of fun painting up his mouth and giving him some perfect little teeth ala' the Bullywug from NADDPOD.  He also got a bit of a glow around the torch.

More Photos:

Bullywug King

This guy was just too much fun not to pick up.  Grumpy and serious.  I imagine the Bullywug adopted a mock-feudal society after briefly encountering human explorers.  They don't quite understand what it entails besides showering a king with riches in order to be stronger than your enemies.  I really like how this guy turned out.  Especially the gem on his crown and the texture on his stone blade.

More Photos:

I am normally not one to copy box art, but I really loved the look of these guys on the official art.  I borrowed heavily from those examples, but once I had started working on them, I allowed myself to get more creative.  I really like how the speckling on their bodies turned out, and am pleased that the Red, Yellow, and Blue quivers blend in well enough while still providing an easy visual distinction between individual units.

These were really fun models and I'm very proud of the final results even if it took me a month longer to finish them than I had anticipated.

What do you think?
    • By R2ED
      Done and based. 
      Gloss was killing my photo though. 

May go back with a matte. Not right now though. 

• By R2ED
      Good lord!  More still on the way. 
      I gotta say, "wow!"  Vallejo metals may as well be Magic.  It's so much better! 

This time tried using sepia ink to line their deeper areas, or bangles.  No wash on the skin this time, but i did give in to using it on the outfits and clothing.  Needed shade. 

I also tested two of them with Corax white primer and two with The Armory grey primer. Only thing that i noticed was it took more layers on the skin with the white.  I thought it was going to be easier.  Oh well. 

Any thoughts? 

• By MusicalFeline
      Well, in case you haven't noticed, I'm on a bit of a goblin streak. Those pyros were fun, but now it's the Pathfinder Goblin Warriors!

As I did previously, I took a picture of them out in the backyard, just to see how they'd look in as realistic of an environment as it's gonna get, another in my little "Mini pictures area" (Spoiler: It's literally just my desk with a piece of white paper behind it. Sorry to ruin the magic! ), and lastly one of my favorite goblin. Any constructive criticism is welcome!

Sidenote: I'm still not confident enough to try out eyes. I'll get to that eventually. 

• By HolkDiggity
      I'm really happy with the faces and the flesh on these little rascals. They also make me one step closer to having the whole 2018 Dungeon Dweller set painted, which is something that I hope to achieve someday, lol.

• Who's Online   17 Members, 2 Anonymous, 47 Guests (See full list)