Fall 2014 Miniature Exchange

fanguad

Using the spray on primer. I've had success in the past with this, not sure what is going wrong this time. New can that is at room temp standing about 10-12ins away

Oh, okay. Yeah I don't use spray primers as I much prefer the brush-on ones and they can be used any time in any weather in any temperature. 

• Like 1

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually have 3 brush on primers: Scalecolor 75 black and white as well as Reaper Brush on. I think I've decided that primer is primer! Lol!

Incidentally, I'm making great progress on the "experiment!" Let's just say that my exchange is a rather... interesting one. Lol!

Edited by Kharsin
  • Like 3

Using the spray on primer. I've had success in the past with this, not sure what is going wrong this time. New can that is at room temp standing about 10-12ins away

I've never used Armory Primer but keep an eye on the humidity if it is too high it even some of the best spray primers can fuzz. I usually make sure it is below 70% humidity. Temperature outside doesn't matter only as long as the Primer is kept warm you can take it outside to spray it even in winter. 

A quick tip that does help and makes the primer go on so much smoother - Take your primer can and place it in a ziplock bag place it in the sink with hot water for about 10 mins, you'll even feel how much smoother the can shakes. I do this on almost every mini and I haven't had a single one have an issue since.

• Like 2

I'm using Armory white primer.

There is your first mistake.  In my experience, Armory primers in general suck canal water.  They are at best very inconsistent in their quality.

Get yourself a reasonable (ie not el cheapo/Walmart brand) automotive primer.   I tend towards a Rust-Oleum, Eastwood, or Krylon.  For whites, you should spray on an old piece of cardboard at first as I have found that they tend to 'gum up' a bit in the nozzle if they sit too long.  Clearing the gum until it sprays smoothly has always worked for me.  Store nozzle end down in a place they does not get to hot or too cold helps as well.

• Like 2

I'm using Armory white primer.

There is your first mistake.  In my experience, Armory primers in general suck canal water.  They are at best very inconsistent in their quality.

Get yourself a reasonable (ie not el cheapo/Walmart brand) automotive primer.   I tend towards a Rust-Oleum, Eastwood, or Krylon.  For whites, you should spray on an old piece of cardboard at first as I have found that they tend to 'gum up' a bit in the nozzle if they sit too long.  Clearing the gum until it sprays smoothly has always worked for me.  Store nozzle end down in a place they does not get to hot or too cold helps as well.

I use the Krylon grey that I purchased at a wal-mart and it works great.   I also have brush on Primer that I use "not thinned" on bones when I feel like priming them that is.  I prefer the spray on the metal though.

• Like 3

ok.. basing finished..beauty pageant pictures taken (I remembered this time)  ready to be boxed and mailed out tomorrow.  I have no clue how long they will take to reach its new owner... but they will be in transit tomorrow lunch time AST.

• Like 2